ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fav Rock and Roll Songs 1990- Return to archive
22nd March 2008 11:18 PM
Throwaway What are your favorite songs of the past 15-20 years (non-Stones)?
Here are some of mine:
White Stripes - Martyr For My Love For You (2007)
Black Crowes - Ballad in Urgency (1994)
Ryan Adams - Halloweenhead (2007)
Wallflowers - 6th Ave Heartache (1996)
Drive-by Truckers - Goddamn Lonely Love (2004)
Pearl Jam - Wishlist (1998)
Ray Davies - Things are Gonna Change (the Morning After) (2006)
Son Volt - Drown (1995)
Weezer - El Scorcho (damn catchy) (1996)
22nd March 2008 11:21 PM
MrPleasant Dr. Rock (Ween)

Favorite song for the past 50 years.
22nd March 2008 11:37 PM
BILL PERKS VAN HALEN-CANT GET THIS STUFF NO MORE
24th March 2008 01:21 AM
yellerstang STP wrote some of the best stuff from the 1990's....

Sex Type Thing
Big Empty
Interstate love Song
Vasoline
24th March 2008 10:51 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
STP wrote some of the best stuff from the 1990's....

Sex Type Thing
Big Empty
Interstate love Song
Vasoline

also
sour girl
days of the week
big bang baby

they fuckin rocked
24th March 2008 06:19 PM
Dan Most of the best rock songs ever came out after 1990. Here are a few

The Humpers "Murder City Revolution"
The Humpers "Space Station Love"
The Humpers "Drunk Tank"
Jesus Lizard "Puss"
Hole "Teenage Whore"
Mudhoney "Generation Spokesmodel" "Blinding Sun"
Babes In Toyland "He's My Thing" "Bruise Violet"
Anthrax/Public Enemy "Bring The Noise"
Supersuckers "How To Maximize Your Kill Count"
NY Loose "Desperate Hopeful"
NY Loose "Broken"
NY Loose "Pretty Suicide"
The Humpers "13 Forever"
Geraldine Fibbers "California Tuffy"
Breeders "Divine Hammer"
Cheap Trick "Anytime"
Ramones "Strength To Endure"
The Hangmen "Downtown"
The Hangmen "Bent"
The Muffs "Honeymoon"
The Humpers "Sarcasmatron"
Breeders "Invisible Man" "Hag"
Dickies "Welcome To The Diamond Mine" "Just Say Yes" "I'm On Crack"
Nine Inch Nails "Happiness In Slavery"
Luscious Jackson "City Song"

I think I will just stop now
24th March 2008 08:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
24th March 2008 09:01 PM
mojoman i'm too sexy
macarena
everything i do i do it for you
i swear
baby one more time
livin la vida loca
24th March 2008 09:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i'm too sexy
macarena
everything i do i do it for you
i swear
baby one more time
livin la vida loca

The First Age is over. 1950-1985
The Second Age hasn't started yet. 2010-?
But as long as there is a guitar and a hard on, there will be Hope.
24th March 2008 09:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The First Age is over. 1950-1985
The Second Age hasn't started yet. 2010-?

24th March 2008 09:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:

Perhaps the most conscise definition of rock n roll I've ever read...... "a guitar and a hard on..."

after that comes the "genres."

Music is is a bitch .........

25th March 2008 05:38 PM
LordUlster
quote:

Good tune.

Band has GOT to lose weight though.
25th March 2008 07:13 PM
mrhipfl

26th March 2008 12:51 AM
Joey
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
What are your favorite songs of the past 15-20 years (non-Stones)?

Santana ( Michelle Branch )

Man In a Purple Dress ( The WHO )

All Tracks off ABB

Ode To Baby Steelie ( Macca )

26th March 2008 01:41 AM
pdog Rancid was the best band in the 90's, and earned their firm #4 favorite band spot with me. DBT's are doing a good job at being the band of the double aughts for me. They might be my permanent number five... They've held the spot that was revolving. I don't do songs too well... I love albums.
26th March 2008 05:07 AM
Jumacfly Most of Dandy Warhols stuff
Cracker
RATM: renegades/ battle of LA
26th March 2008 05:08 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Most of Dandy Warhols stuff
Cracker
RATM: renegades/ battle of LA

I was underwhelmed by the Dandy Warhols when they opened for the Stones in Lausanne. They were actually flat-out terrible. Agree with RATM, though.
26th March 2008 05:21 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I was underwhelmed by the Dandy Warhols when they opened for the Stones in Lausanne. They were actually flat-out terrible. Agree with RATM, though.

a good thing about the 90's: the return of guitars, and a lot of incredible records with a new sound: RATM, Blood Sugar Sex MAgic, Nevermind, bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden , Pixies (a bit older),...

Dandy Warhols are more a studio band for me, "Welcome to Monkey house" and "Odditorium" are in this sense masterpieces IMHO

another rock songs I used to like a lot:

Sure shot
Loser
Supersonic
Come out and play
I got a girl
Boys and Girls
Lump

And of course Izzy Stradlin and Dan Baird too!
27th March 2008 04:40 PM
Make It Funky The ONLY music that is worth mentioning past 1990, is every and all of the Black Crowes entire catalogue!!

Dandy Warhols? VanHalen? Michelle Brandt?? Who are you people!?!?

I might be inclined to mention You AM I, PowderFinger, Pete Murray, Ray Lamontagne, Kings of Leon. Damien Rice, Big Sugar, Robert Randolph, The Mother Hips... but.. you guys are as delusional as the "music" you listen to.

I might suggest going backwards, and immerse yourselves heavily and deeply into the deep tracks of XM radio.

Cheers
Ian
27th March 2008 04:53 PM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
The ONLY music that is worth mentioning past 1990, is every and all of the Black Crowes entire catalogue!!

Jeez, maybe memorable for inducing some of my best naps past 1990.

Also memorable for sending a friend into a violent rage when he got trapped by Greek Theatre stack parking when he tried to leave early during the Oasis tour.

quote:

I might be inclined to mention You AM I, PowderFinger, Pete Murray, Ray Lamontagne, Kings of Leon. Damien Rice, Big Sugar, Robert Randolph, The Mother Hips... but.. you guys are as delusional as the "music" you listen to.

Oh not this shit again. Dude, you are just another condescending elitist dick not to mention delusional for your constant nutswinging of an over the hill third rate cover band.
27th March 2008 06:31 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:

i think this band sounds a lot like the traveling wilburys.
27th March 2008 09:10 PM
Make It Funky Dan, oh c'mon man. You cant correlate half-caste parking attendants for the demise of your friends emotional incapacities!? (let alone proper music).

Elitist definetely. (more like just proper music quality). But not a dick. I tihnk you and many like you fail to actually realise the quality of elitist music. I dont prescribe to it - Ive just always been in love with Chuck Berry and Little Richard for 33 years. I dont know how to like them. And any other band I mentioned have modelled themselves after those two. (maybe include Jerry Lee Lewis too).

But if any band is over-the-hill, its none other than the Rolling Stones. (I mean, atleast Bob Plant had the decency to decline in a hunnerd million, so he can concentrate on a more meaningful artistic existence). The Rolling Stones never really were all that good, even on a good night in Brussells or Perth 35 years ago. They were just lucky that the drugs worked that night, and the inter-play matched each others stoned state of minds. I still love them though, and the Rolling Stones are my favourite band of all time - but c'mon.. get real man. You're like over-priced institutionalized government civil servants, just liking the Stones for the sake of liking them because you dont know how to be or listen to anything differently. Im sorry man. You should put on some Aretha Franklin's early stuff.. maybe second-wave Eric Burdon & Animals... or maybe Wilson Pickett.

Cheers and happy listening!
Ian
28th March 2008 01:05 AM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Dan, oh c'mon man. You cant correlate half-caste parking attendants for the demise of your friends emotional incapacities!? (let alone proper music).

Elitist definetely. (more like just proper music quality). But not a dick. I tihnk you and many like you fail to actually realise the quality of elitist music. I dont prescribe to it - Ive just always been in love with Chuck Berry and Little Richard for 33 years. I dont know how to like them. And any other band I mentioned have modelled themselves after those two. (maybe include Jerry Lee Lewis too).

But if any band is over-the-hill, its none other than the Rolling Stones. (I mean, atleast Bob Plant had the decency to decline in a hunnerd million, so he can concentrate on a more meaningful artistic existence). The Rolling Stones never really were all that good, even on a good night in Brussells or Perth 35 years ago. They were just lucky that the drugs worked that night, and the inter-play matched each others stoned state of minds. I still love them though, and the Rolling Stones are my favourite band of all time - but c'mon.. get real man. You're like over-priced institutionalized government civil servants, just liking the Stones for the sake of liking them because you dont know how to be or listen to anything differently. Im sorry man. You should put on some Aretha Franklin's early stuff.. maybe second-wave Eric Burdon & Animals... or maybe Wilson Pickett.

Cheers and happy listening!
Ian

More condescending drivel... and why are you here again?
29th March 2008 02:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man Far too many to mention.

Probably my favourite track from the decade though, is The Manic Street Preachers' Motorcycle Emptiness (1991). Whatever (1994) by Oasis is another genuine classic along with History (1995) by The Verve.

I must admit to not being to keen on much American music, from the decade of my teenage years, though Serve The Servants (1993) by Nirvana is scorching, as is in fact is the whole album its taken from, In Utero

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)