ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philip Townsend exibition in London
The photography of Philip Townsend, soon available through Forty Licks Fan Club
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Stairway To Heaven' Voted Best Guitar Solo Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th March 2006 02:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway To Heaven' Voted Best Guitar Solo Ever
In a magazine poll...

by Scott Colothan on 3/27/2006
gigwise.com

Led Zeppelin’s classic ‘Stairway to Heaven’ has been voted the best guitar solo of all time.

The rock behemoth fought off competition from Van Hallen’s ‘Eruption’ and Guns n Roses’ ‘Paradise City’ which were number two and three respectively.

The list was based on 2,000 votes in a poll conducted by Total Guitar magazine.

Magazine editor Stephen Lawson said: "Everyone loves to play air guitar when they hear the moment in a song where the guitarist rocks out."

The full Top 10 is as follows:

1. Led Zeppelin – ‘Stairway to Heaven’
2. Van Halen – ‘Eruption’
3. Guns N' Roses – ‘Paradise City’
4. The Eagles – ‘Hotel California‘
5. Metallica – ‘Enter Sandman’
6. Cream – ‘Crossroads’
7. Jimi Hendrix – ‘Voodoo Child’
8. Ozzy Osbourne – ‘Crazy Train’
9. Free – ‘All Right Now’
10. Queen – ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

27th March 2006 02:33 PM
Break The Spell "Stairway To Heaven" isn't even Zep's best solo, much less best of all time. Interesting no Stones songs are there, what about the solo's in songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sway, Hertbreaker, Winter, Time Waits For No One, Sympathy For The Devil, Black Limosuine, Hand Of Fate, All Down The Line and the live version of Out Of Control. All deserving!!
27th March 2006 02:35 PM
nanatod This list is just so wrong.
Hotel Freakin' California???
Why is Paradise City not higher up?
Where's the guitar solos from Foghat?
Where's Frank Zappa's stuff?
There are so many better Hendrix solos than Voodoo Child.
Eruption may be more famous, but Eddie Van Halen does better overall work elsewhere.
27th March 2006 02:35 PM
Joey " 4. The Eagles – ‘Hotel California‘ "

27th March 2006 02:40 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
This list is just so wrong.
Hotel Freakin' California???
Why is Paradise City not higher up?
Where's the guitar solos from Foghat?
Where's Frank Zappa's stuff?
There are so many better Hendrix solos than Voodoo Child.
Eruption may be more famous, but Eddie Van Halen does better overall work elsewhere.

One of my favorite Zappa solo's is in "Sexual Harrasment in the Workplace". One Foghat solo worth mentioning is in "Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie". Also, no ZZ Top, "Just Got Paid" and "Blue Jean blues" are both quite nice. Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is full of great solo's.
[Edited by Break The Spell]
27th March 2006 03:07 PM
Spru Just another one of these "top ten" lists that seems to come out every week or two about classic rock. The omission of Sympathy and CYHMK is laughable. I'll take the Honky Tonk Women solo over most of the shit on that list. I actually heard a "top 10 frontmen" list from some British magazine that was read on WDVE 102.5 in Pittsburgh a couple years back, and Mick wasn't even on it. Jim and Randy (the show's hosts) were as appalled as I was. That's when those lists lost any credibility in my book.
27th March 2006 03:14 PM
gimmekeef Lists are always bs...one solo I personally love however is Elvin Bishops mid song solo on...'Fooled Around and Fell In Love'....great piece of work imho....
27th March 2006 03:31 PM
voodoopug This is another humiliating list! We are no longer a factor...The Eagles and U2 have completely taken over.
27th March 2006 03:37 PM
jb I'm so glad we are no ton these juvenille , menaingless lists. The only one that counts at the end of the day is tour gross...and we are still holding on to #1. People love dead people and politcally involved rock stars-neither of which is the stones.
27th March 2006 03:52 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
I'm so glad we are no ton these juvenille , menaingless lists. The only one that counts at the end of the day is tour gross...and we are still holding on to #1. People love dead people and politcally involved rock stars-neither of which is the stones.

with our proposed golden circle plan for fall 2005...(see Streisand as the "beta")...we will remain untouchable unless they confirm that Elvis actually is hanging out at the Piggly Wiggly and will do a one off comeback tour!
27th March 2006 03:53 PM
Break The Spell The songs on that list don't even represent the best solo's from the particular band / artist. For example, "Mr. Crowley" has much better solo's than in "Crazy Train", "Fade To Black" by Metallica is 100 times the solo at the end than the boring "Enter Sandman", "Keep Yourself Alive" by Queen has a much more impressive solo than "Bohemian Rhapsody". These lists keep going down in quality!!
27th March 2006 03:54 PM
RollingstonesUSA Free Bird solo not on here, WOW!
27th March 2006 03:59 PM
Joey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Lists are always bs...one solo I personally love however is Elvin Bishops mid song solo on...'Fooled Around and Fell In Love'....great piece of work imho....

Yes , a classic .

Another great piece of work is the guitar solo at the bridge of " What'cha Gonna Do? "
by Pablo Cruise

http://www.pablocruiseband.com/id15.html

27th March 2006 04:00 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
"Fade To Black" by Metallica

Now there's a great tune!
27th March 2006 04:01 PM
telecaster Jimmy Page himself said his favorite solo of alltime
is Steely Dan's "Reelin In The Years"

27th March 2006 04:03 PM
nanatod
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
unless they confirm that Elvis actually is hanging out at the Piggly Wiggly and will do a one off comeback tour!

Elvis is dead. The post office doesn't issue stamps of living people.
27th March 2006 04:06 PM
speedfreakjive utter bollocks!!!!
as previously mentioned, Sympathy and CYHMK have to be in there.
also, why no WAY solo??? Its the bomb.
27th March 2006 04:07 PM
Joey
quote:
nanatod wrote:

The post office doesn't issue stamps of living people.

Not True !!!!

Last year , over the Christmas Break , the post office issued a stamp of " Rocks Off " very own Baby Steel Magnolia .

27th March 2006 04:07 PM
speedfreakjive Paradise City doesn't really have a solo either.
27th March 2006 05:32 PM
corgi37 Stairway to heaven is about 3 solos "tacked" on. And i dont mean the whole song, just the solo. He uses different guitars and amps just for the solo, let alone, the whole song.

I'm kind of glad there are no Stones solos. They were never into that "wank" anyway. If a song needed it, so be it. Sympathy was ahead of its time. And some of Taylor's stuff is magic. But who cares?
27th March 2006 05:55 PM
Bruno
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Paradise City doesn't really have a solo either.

You´re wrong. What´s that before "so faaaaaar away, so faaaar away"? A fucking great solo. Slash rocks.
27th March 2006 06:11 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Bruno wrote:

You´re wrong. What´s that before "so faaaaaar away, so faaaar away"? A fucking great solo. Slash rocks.

oh, I didn't remember it off the top of my head,
27th March 2006 06:58 PM
Soldatti Another stupid list.
27th March 2006 07:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Spru wrote:
Just another one of these "top ten" lists that seems to come out every week or two about classic rock. The omission of Sympathy and CYHMK is laughable. I'll take the Honky Tonk Women solo over most of the shit on that list. I actually heard a "top 10 frontmen" list from some British magazine that was read on WDVE 102.5 in Pittsburgh a couple years back, and Mick wasn't even on it. Jim and Randy (the show's hosts) were as appalled as I was. That's when those lists lost any credibility in my book.

for what its worth the reason why he was left off that list (by Classic Rock magazine) was because they decided that certain singers (eg Mick) were so big/great/dominant that they transcended the bands they were in. If anything it was intended as a compliment

However, theres a new 'list' of something every week. Its lazy music journalism. And no one cares.
27th March 2006 09:09 PM
CraigP Decent band but the song is ann over-played bore.
27th March 2006 10:02 PM
ebmp I didnt like that list too much, but I agree with the 1st place... Stairway´s solo is just breathtaking, it builds up and reaches a climax, and the guitar tone is fantastic.

The Stones aren´t really a "guitar solo" band anyway, although they some great ones, like Sympathy, Worried About You, Winter, Time Waits For No One, Shine A Light and especially Hand of Fate.

I agree with someone up there. Where the fuck is Freebird? And Metallica has at least 10 solos better than Enter Sandman's, and GNR´s Estranged, November Rain, Sweet Child O´ Mine, Rocket Queen, Locomotive, Nightrain are way better than Paradise City too.

I never agree with these lists anyway, but Stairway is just AWESOME!!
27th March 2006 10:04 PM
BONOISLOVE THIS IS JUST PLAIN NUTS!!

WHERE ARE OASIS???
28th March 2006 03:27 AM
jostorm Joey?????
28th March 2006 03:33 AM
jostorm Oasis are happily residing in the "Hall of People with an Immense Ego-problem Who Once Wrote A Few Good Songs But are Now Has-Beens , While the Stones are Still up There on Rock Olympus"

PS: what made you chose your name? why not BONOISALITTLEWANKER ??????
28th March 2006 05:32 AM
corgi37 How can anyone put Freebird in? There's 3 frigging battling guitars on that! Joe Dirt indeed! hahaha.

For what its worth, Neil Young's Like a Hurricane is the best solo ever. It's real, passionate, full of mistakes, and you can FEEL it.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)