ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philip Townsend exibition in London
The photography of Philip Townsend, soon available through Forty Licks Fan Club
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Discography Return to archive
24th March 2006 11:37 PM
StonedBeatle Hey all, I've been confused abut where to start whne it comes to the stones on cd,what with Abkco not standardizing the catalog and having multiple versions of the same album. I would like to get all the u.k studio albums (there are 24 aren't there?) and any other albums tying up any loose ends and non album tracks, like the Past masters albums did for the Beatles, so I figured I post here. Can anyone rovid a complete U.K Studio album discography (and like I mentioned, any other album tying up any loose ends)
Thanks
Joe
27th March 2006 10:24 AM
StonedBeatle anyone
27th March 2006 11:26 AM
Throwaway http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=ROLLING|STONES&uid=CAW030603271125&sql=11:k8ogtq8ztu4p~T2
27th March 2006 11:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man Hi Joe,

Okay, I'll have a stab at this!

Firstly, from Their Satanic Majesties onwards, there is no difference between the UK and United States releases. Before however, there is. Unfortunately, Abcko decided to go with the American releases for the CD versions, yet a handful of the original UK albums were also released. These are...

Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Between The Buttons

The UK albums that didn’t make it to CD are the debut (though it was briefly available many years ago) album, The Rolling Stones No 2 and the UK versions of Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly. So really, we’re not missing out on too much.

They're discography up 'till 1967 is a mess, but it's fine from then onwards.

If I were you, I'd purchase all the UK albums available (submitting the US version of the same release), pick up the remaining American albums (though don’t bother with their versions of Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly!) and make sure you get The Singles Collection.
27th March 2006 11:54 AM
Break The Spell When it comes to the 1964-65 period, get the 5 US studio albums, as there were only 3 UK studio albums put out during those years, so the UK albums from those 2 years are missing a lot of those songs. When it comes to 1966's Aftermath and 1967's Between The Buttons, get the UK versions, they have far better track listing. As stated before, everything from 67's Satanic Majesties through Biger Bang is the same in the US as it is in UK.
27th March 2006 12:13 PM
Honky Tonk Man It's also worth picking up the Big Hits And Fazed Cookies compilation as it contains Bye, Bye Johnny, Poison Ivy and Money, taken from the Stones debut EP released in early '64. Also on the CD is I Can't Be Satisfied. This was the closing track on The Rolling Stones No 2 and this compilation is all it's available on these days.
27th March 2006 12:22 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
It's also worth picking up the Big Hits And Fazed Cookies compilation as it contains Bye, Bye Johnny, Poison Ivy and Money, taken from the Stones debut EP released in early '64. Also on the CD is I Can't Be Satisfied. This was the closing track on The Rolling Stones No 2 and this compilation is all it's available on these days.

That Big Hits compilation also has the studio version of "Fortune Teller" which was recorded around the same time as their second single "I Wanna Be Your Man" in 1963. A live version of it is available on Got Live If You Want It.
27th March 2006 12:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

That Big Hits compilation also has the studio version of "Fortune Teller" which was recorded around the same time as their second single "I Wanna Be Your Man" in 1963. A live version of it is available on Got Live If You Want It.

That's right. Fortune Teller (backed with Poison Ivy) was scheduled to be the Stones 3rd single, but was shelved right at the last minute. A few copies were pressed and are valued at around £400! That version of Fortune Teller later cropped up on a Decca charity LP and Poison Ivy was re-recorded for the EP I've already mentioned.

By the way, the version of Fortune Teller on the Got Live If You Want It LP is a studio take with audience noise added. I'm not too sure if it's the same take as the version found on Fazed Cookies though.
27th March 2006 12:53 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

That's right. Fortune Teller (backed with Poison Ivy) was scheduled to be the Stones 3rd single, but was shelved right at the last minute. A few copies were pressed and are valued at around £400! That version of Fortune Teller later cropped up on a Decca charity LP and Poison Ivy was re-recorded for the EP I've already mentioned.

By the way, the version of Fortune Teller on the Got Live If You Want It LP is a studio take with audience noise added. I'm not too sure if it's the same take as the version found on Fazed Cookies though.

I always wondered how many versions of Fortune Teller there were, I had the original version of More Hot Rocks and the version on there was different than the one on the remastered More Hot Rocks. It seems on the remastered More Hot Rocks, its the harmonica version, and they repeat that last line (now I get my fortune told for free) where as the other version don't repeat that line. Either way, good song and it would have made a good single!!
27th March 2006 01:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I always wondered how many versions of Fortune Teller there were, I had the original version of More Hot Rocks and the version on there was different than the one on the remastered More Hot Rocks. It seems on the remastered More Hot Rocks, its the harmonica version, and they repeat that last line (now I get my fortune told for free) where as the other version don't repeat that line. Either way, good song and it would have made a good single!!

Right! Lets get this cleared up!

According to Martin Elliot’s book, Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002, there are TWO officially released versions of Poison Ivy. The first (the intended single) was recorded on 16th August 1963 and made its ONLY appearance on an LP called Saturday Club, released on 24th January 1964. The other released version was recorded between the 14th and 15th November 1963 and is indeed the version found on their debut EP and More Hot Rocks.

Now, here is the interesting part. According to the book, only TWO versions of Fortune Teller were recorded. Like Poison Ivy, the first was intended as their 3rd single and made it's only appearance on The Saturday Club LP. This is the version that later cropped up on More Hot Rocks. The second version of Fortune Teller is the rendition found on the Got Live If You Want It LP. It was mixed by Glyn Johns and Andrew Oldham between the 11th and 20th October 1966. I can only presume that this is just the original version. Of course, with added crowd noises. As for the version of Fortune Teller found on the SACD More Hot Rocks? Well, it's the SAME as could be found on the original LP, only a slightly different mix.

So, after all that, I’ve concluded that the only song here NOT available on CD is the original version of Poison Ivy.

Hope this has cleared things up!

27th March 2006 01:37 PM
pdog I just buy everything... Seriously.
27th March 2006 01:44 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Right! Lets get this cleared up!

According to Martin Elliot’s book, Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002, there are TWO officially released versions of Poison Ivy. The first (the intended single) was recorded on 16th August 1963 and made its ONLY appearance on an LP called Saturday Club, released on 24th January 1964. The other released version was recorded between the 14th and 15th November 1963 and is indeed the version found on their debut EP and More Hot Rocks.

Now, here is the interesting part. According to the book, only TWO versions of Fortune Teller were recorded. Like Poison Ivy, the first was intended as their 3rd single and made it's only appearance on The Saturday Club LP. This is the version that later cropped up on More Hot Rocks. The second version of Fortune Teller is the rendition found on the Got Live If You Want It LP. It was mixed by Glyn Johns and Andrew Oldham between the 11th and 20th October 1966. I can only presume that this is just the original version. Of course, with added crowd noises. As for the version of Fortune Teller found on the SACD More Hot Rocks? Well, it's the SAME as could be found on the original LP, only a slightly different mix.

So, after all that, I’ve concluded that the only song here NOT available on CD is the original version of Poison Ivy.

Hope this has cleared things up!

That does help, thanks, I always wondered if the "harmonica" version of Fortune Teller was a completely different recording or just a different mix, now I know. Also, I always thought "I Can't Be Satisfied" would have fit perfectly on the "Now!" album, yet another song exclusive to More Hot Rocks in the US.
27th March 2006 01:53 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
"I Can't Be Satisfied" would have fit perfectly on the "Now!" album, yet another song exclusive to More Hot Rocks in the US.

The Stones early catalogue is full of songs that should've appeared in either the UK or the US. Thankfully, nearly everything is available on CD and though it's a mess, that’s got to be a good thing.
27th March 2006 06:39 PM
Soldatti With the only exception of Aftermath, I prefer the US discography.
27th March 2006 07:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
With the only exception of Aftermath, I prefer the US discography.

Yes, but you wouldn't think that if they only released the UK albums and then bought out a Beatles style Past Masters compilation. Remember, the UK Decca LP's were how the Stones themselves intended them to be. The reason the pre- satanic discography is a mess is BECAUSE of the American releases! With just the UK releases, it’d have been so much simpler. 5 studio albums prior to Their Satanic Majesties, some great singles and some even better EP’s.
28th March 2006 07:07 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Yes, but you wouldn't think that if they only released the UK albums and then bought out a Beatles style Past Masters compilation. Remember, the UK Decca LP's were how the Stones themselves intended them to be. The reason the pre- satanic discography is a mess is BECAUSE of the American releases! With just the UK releases, it’d have been so much simpler. 5 studio albums prior to Their Satanic Majesties, some great singles and some even better EP’s.

They could have cleared this up in 2002 when ABCKO put out the SACD remasters, I was hoping they'd do that. It would be great to have all those early albums and ep's available in remastered form as they were meant to be along with The Singles Collection.
28th March 2006 07:52 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

They could have cleared this up in 2002 when ABCKO put out the SACD remasters, I was hoping they'd do that. It would be great to have all those early albums and ep's available in remastered form as they were meant to be along with The Singles Collection.

I agree. Even if it meant keeping the US versions in print, it'd have been wonderful to have their debut and The Rolling Stones No2 on SACD. For the life of me, I cannot think why they didn't do this. Maybe it was because they only wanted to release the UK albums, which had a significant difference to the US ones?

Don't get me wrong, I GREW UP with the US releases. I'm English, but I have a real fondness for albums like Decembers Children and especially the American Out Of Our Heads.
28th March 2006 09:00 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I agree. Even if it meant keeping the US versions in print, it'd have been wonderful to have their debut and The Rolling Stones No2 on SACD. For the life of me, I cannot think why they didn't do this. Maybe it was because they only wanted to release the UK albums, which had a significant difference to the US ones?

Don't get me wrong, I GREW UP with the US releases. I'm English, but I have a real fondness for albums like Decembers Children and especially the American Out Of Our Heads.

I noticed that "The Rolling Stones No. 2" is the song "Time Is On My Side", is this the same version as the 1964 single, or is it the version that has the organ intro?? Since this album came out in early 1965, I was curious if there was any difference between this album version and the single version.
28th March 2006 09:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I noticed that "The Rolling Stones No. 2" is the song "Time Is On My Side", is this the same version as the 1964 single, or is it the version that has the organ intro?? Since this album came out in early 1965, I was curious if there was any difference between this album version and the single version.

The US single of Time Is On My Side is the ORGAN version and it wasn’t released in the UK 'till The Singles Collection in the 80's.

The GUITAR version of the same song was first released in January 1965 on the UK album The Rolling Stones No 2 and got it's first US outing on 1966's Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) The UK version of this compilation featured the same rendition.
28th March 2006 09:19 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

The US single of Time Is On My Side is the ORGAN version and it wasn’t released in the UK 'till The Singles Collection in the 80's.

The GUITAR version of the same song was first released in January 1965 on the UK album The Rolling Stones No 2 and got it's first US outing on 1966's Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) The UK version of this compilation featured the same rendition.

Thanks for the info again. Having never heard the UK versions of their first two albums, I always wondered if there were certain differences between them and the US releases.
28th March 2006 09:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Thanks for the info again. Having never heard the UK versions of their first two albums, I always wondered if there were certain differences between them and the US releases.

Your welcome. Anyway, the CONFUSSING thing is that it's the guitar version that was on the original Singles Collection. This was a mistake and you get the organ version on the SACD remaster.
28th March 2006 09:44 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Your welcome. Anyway, the CONFUSSING thing is that it's the guitar version that was on the original Singles Collection. This was a mistake and you get the organ version on the SACD remaster.

Thats something ese I never knew as I never got the SACD version of the Singles Collection. I wonder if when they get the rights back to their 60's recordings one day if this will all be cleared up.
28th March 2006 09:59 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Thats something ese I never knew as I never got the SACD version of the Singles Collection. I wonder if when they get the rights back to their 60's recordings one day if this will all be cleared up.

I don't think there is anything to clear up now. The single version had the organ intro and that's the take that's on the remasterd Singles Collection. The mistake was to put the guitar version on there.
28th March 2006 11:26 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I don't think there is anything to clear up now. The single version had the organ intro and that's the take that's on the remasterd Singles Collection. The mistake was to put the guitar version on there.

No, I meant like in general, if they get back the rights from Klein when he dies, if they will re-release their 60's albums differently, or if a bunch of unreleased stuff will officially be released.
28th March 2006 11:51 AM
Egbert I would like to see Abkco supplement the '60s releases with bonus tracks so that it would not be necessary to purchase redundant CDs such as Flowers in order to collect all the songs. Of course, that will never happen...
28th March 2006 12:08 PM
rocky hi..why not as i did...do my own,,cd:s of the decca release.
i used the best quality and stereo versions if it's aviable.
this do the listening more fun..and not songs repeat over and over again,,,the only vinyl used track,is the u.k.version of the first album of "tell me" 4:10,
so i did 1 uk album + bonus,
no 2 + bonus.so on,,with the rest.i not use bootleg tracks,
thanks for the info of "fortune teller"versions,, rocky
28th March 2006 12:11 PM
glencar You simply must get "Hurricane" & ABB; Deluxe Version to complete your collection. Oooh, and "Rarities" too!
28th March 2006 12:23 PM
Egbert StonedBeatle - you may find this chart helpful:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/newsdata/rolling_stones_guide.html
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)