ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philip Townsend exibition in London
The photography of Philip Townsend, soon available through Forty Licks Fan Club
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lenny Kravitz To Play Jimi Hendrix? Return to archive
24th March 2006 08:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Lenny Kravitz To Play Jimi Hendrix?
In a movie biopic...

by Scott Colothan on 3/24/2006
gigwise.com

A music industry executive has revealed that she hopes to cast Lenny Kravitz as Jimi Hendrix in a movie biopic.

Elle Von Lear has been involved in a lengthy legal wrangle to eventually acquire the rights to use the names, likeness and performances of the legend.

The film will apparently question the circumstances up to the death of Hendrix and touch upon Hendrix’s collaboration with Mick Jagger.

Von Lear said: "I know exactly what happened to Jimi Hendrix. I have the autopsy reports and I have unsealed all the court records regarding Jimi Hendrix's legacy.

”It took years due to all the US and UK litigation. "Our goal is to do a proper major feature film that finally tells the real shocking story (of Jimi's life and death).

”Now I can do what he intended for his legacy and I plan to start by making a The Doors-type film about Jimi's life.

"It will be heavily music-driven with all those great Hendrix original recordings. "Right now I'm looking for the right director, but I have David Fincher and Dominic Sena in mind, and I'm not ruling out Quentin Tarantino or Clint Eastwood.

"I've always liked the idea of Lenny Kravitz playing Jimi, but he might be a bit long in the tooth now. If not him, we'll be looking for an unknown," quotes contact music.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
24th March 2006 09:05 AM
Break The Spell I was unaware ol' Lenny was an actor, here's hoping the film does Jimi justice, but these films often fall short of expectations. Wasn't Pink suposed to be in a film about Janis Joplin?? I did like The Doors movie.
24th March 2006 09:06 AM
stonedinaustralia lenny plays jimi?!

[IMG]BIG PICTURE OF A TRAIN WRECK[ /IMG]
24th March 2006 09:12 AM
Taptrick
They better receive the cooperation of the Hendrix estate or it's just going to be another suck movie in which they can't use any of the family licensed material....which is the good stuff.

24th March 2006 09:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I was unaware ol' Lenny was an actor, here's hoping the film does Jimi justice, but these films often fall short of expectations. Wasn't Pink suposed to be in a film about Janis Joplin?? I did like The Doors movie.

Very difficult to "act a rock" star and be convincing. IMO. I don't know exactly why that is but someone here must understand "acting theory" here on the boards better than I do. {I did join theater for one year in college. There was one nice guy in the bunch. The whole troupe were deluded primadonnas.}
24th March 2006 09:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

They better receive the cooperation of the Hendrix estate or it's just going to be another suck movie in which they can't use any of the family licensed material....which is the good stuff.

"It will be heavily music-driven with all those great Hendrix original recordings. "

Lets hope so.
24th March 2006 09:16 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Very difficult to "act a rock" star and be convincing. IMO. I don't know exactly why that is but someone here must understand "acting theory" here on the boards better than I do. {I did join theater for one year in college. There was one nice guy in the bunch. The whole troupe were deluded primadonnas.}

Tell me about it!! One of my friends was in one of those troupes right out of high school, and he was with actors who were in it for maybe a year and they had all thought they made it big time and treated everyone poorly. Funny thing is, many of them couldn't get an agent and just ended up with typical day jobs.
24th March 2006 09:24 AM
Nellcote Give this role to Prince, he would smoke this sucker
24th March 2006 09:24 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
lenny plays jimi?!

[IMG]BIG PICTURE OF A TRAIN WRECK[ /IMG]

it's ridiculous...sounds like a genius turned into a clown [img]picture of laughing clown[ img]
24th March 2006 09:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Give this role to Prince, he would smoke this sucker

Right. I think he could do the role alot more justice than Kravitz.
24th March 2006 09:35 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

”Now I can do what he intended for his legacy and I plan to start by making a The Doors-type film about Jimi's life.

"It will be heavily music-driven with all those great Hendrix original recordings. "Right now I'm looking for the right director, but I have David Fincher and Dominic Sena in mind, and I'm not ruling out Quentin Tarantino or Clint Eastwood.

Clint Eastwood and ala "The Doors" aspirations sound both interesting enough. Kravitz doesn't cut it for me as Jimi, but who knows!

Not counting Almost Famous which was half fiction / half reality, I don't think there's ever been a music movie about a band / artist that ever surpassed "The Doors". Which is funny, cause you'd think the whole "sex & drugs & rock 'n' roll" cliche would be quite interesting for film producers. I suppose it has to do with rights management.
24th March 2006 09:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Clint Eastwood and ala "The Doors" aspirations sound both interesting enough. Kravitz doesn't cut it for me as Jimi, but who knows!

Well if the producers pick the right director then Kravitz will be out. Not that he's a bad guy it's just that he's not right for the role.
24th March 2006 09:56 AM
TampabayStone Both Prince and Lenny seem way to old for this role. I thought Jimi died at 27 yrs old. There was an HBO movie that was not to good, but the same actor from the show the Wire played him and I like that guy.
24th March 2006 10:33 AM
stonedinaustralia [quote]TampabayStone wrote:
Both Prince and Lenny seem way to old for this role. I thought Jimi died at 27 yrs old.

excellent first post
24th March 2006 02:22 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
excellent first post

Thanks! It was actually my 3rd, been a lurking for a while though. I think I just read where you said the same thing to someone who wrote that U2, Coldplay and Radiohead were better than the Stones.
24th March 2006 02:39 PM
Water Dragon Welcome to the world of RO greetings - and mad, mad, posters!

:-)
24th March 2006 04:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thnis is great news! Thanks I didn't see this before and I was so excited that posted the news in a new thread. Sorry but sometimes I'm so busy in during the day that I just come to see if weverything is ok.

This was the article. As a coincidence the other bio pic is full of stones content and in all (or almost all) documentaries about his life Mick Jagger is there. Interviewd or footage or both but always.

Hendrix Biopic Back on Track

Lenny Kravitz is the favorite to play the rock legend.
Thursday, March 23, 2006

Jimi Hendrix's life and death is set to hit the big screen with Lenny Kravitz the favorite to play the rock legend.

Music impresario Elle Von Lear has acquired the "exclusive authority" to use the name, likeness and performances of Hendrix after a lengthy battle with the rocker's estate - and the first thing she plans to do is make a controversial biopic.

Von Lear, a longtime Hendrix family friend, plans to revisit Hendrix's death, suggesting all was not as it seemed - and she also hopes to include a storyline about the rocker and Sir Mick Jagger teaming up in a recording studio just before he died.

She says, "I know exactly what happened to Jimi Hendrix. I have the autopsy reports and I have unsealed all the court records regarding Jimi Hendrix's legacy. It took years due to all the U.S. and U.K. litigation.

"Our goal is to do a proper major feature film that finally tells the real shocking story (of Jimi's life and death). Now I can do what he intended for his legacy and I plan to start by making a The Doors-type film about Jimi's life.

"It will be heavily music-driven with all those great Hendrix original recordings.

"Right now I'm looking for the right director, but I have David Fincher ('Fight Club') and Dominic Sena ('Swordfish') in mind, and I'm not ruling out Quentin Tarantino or Clint Eastwood.

"I've always liked the idea of Lenny Kravitz playing Jimi, but he might be a bit long in the tooth now. If not him, we'll be looking for an unknown."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006
24th March 2006 04:19 PM
gypsy That's great news! I hope it turns out to be a wonderful biopic. I'm very interested in seeing it...a few years from now, of course.
I'm happy for you, Voodoo.
24th March 2006 06:17 PM
Soldatti No bad at all, it could be a good project.
24th March 2006 07:11 PM
pdog Has anyone made a Jewie Hendrix joke yet?
24th March 2006 08:06 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Thanks! It was actually my 3rd, been a lurking for a while though. I think I just read where you said the same thing to someone who wrote that U2, Coldplay and Radiohead were better than the Stones.

yeah - not that i agreed with it but for a first post it was a real attention grabber

yours i did like for its content
25th March 2006 09:34 AM
MrPleasant Lenny Kravitz should play Bono catalyzing the ghost of Tom Joad in a Million Dollar Christ Hotel, and then commit (real) suicide. Then, and only then, I might watch it, with a hard on.

Who knows?, maybe Kravitz is a good actor, after all.
26th March 2006 09:55 AM
Zambero Prince? He's a great talent, but has too much of his own identity to do a credible Hendrix ("Purple Rain"? yes. "Purple Haze"? Doubt it). Kravitz? Forget it! This role would be best cast with a complete unknown who wouldn't have to be concerned with leaving his own artistic identity at the door.
26th March 2006 03:38 PM
icydanger
quote:
Zambero wrote:
Prince? He's a great talent, but has too much of his own identity to do a credible Hendrix ("Purple Rain"? yes. "Purple Haze"? Doubt it). Kravitz? Forget it! This role would be best cast with a complete unknown who wouldn't have to be concerned with leaving his own artistic identity at the door.

yes a catlike actor
and Prince is too short, Hendrix was a tall feline dude.
Kravitz is too heavy (physical, mental) anyway whoever plays, i am looking forwards seeing it.
26th March 2006 08:58 PM
exile
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
Both Prince and Lenny seem way to old for this role.

HOLD ON!
Prince plays Jimi Hendrix.
WTF! Prince is a tiny spandex wearing fag. Please tell me you were joking.

I think Mr. Hendrix deserves better than that. This is the same man who revolutionised modern day guitar playing.

Prince would be better served thrown naked into a pit of rabid wolverines where they tear his flesh and limbs apart. Well...it would be more entertaining than his singing. I’d watch it.

[Edited by exile]
26th March 2006 10:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well, they need a great actor. I'm thinking maybe they ought to go for Clarence Gilyard Jr. He was magnificent as Ranger Jimmy Trivette in Walker.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th March 2006 11:30 AM
gimmekeef Better to let sleeping genuises rest in peace......
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)