ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philip Townsend exibition in London
The photography of Philip Townsend, soon available through Forty Licks Fan Club
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dare I ask??? All those insider-jokes ... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
21st March 2006 05:03 AM
jostorm Would someone be kind enough as to briefly explain to me the constant insider-jokes (or "themes") governing this board???

I "got it" straight away that Joey is not in need of a high colonic irrigation, that most men here have had a colonoscope shoved up their rear at one time or another (but they refuse to tell whether they enjoyed the experience or not), and that Gazza has a weakness for sheep when the Irish weather allows it ...

BUT: what's this constant reference to Omaha about???
Why will some people be "greeted" and others not???
Is Jake Cohl Voodoopug's boyfriend???? Why has no enemy list materialised so far, despite constant threats??? Is the resident cretin a real cretin or just an impostor??

Any enlightenment will be greatly appreciated, many thanks!
By the way, I really enjoy reading on this board, the sense of humour is great, the people quite lovable (mostly), and the freedom of speech unrivalled on any other board, but the degree of "surreality" is sometimes a bit too high for an outsider to "follow" the groove.....
21st March 2006 05:07 AM
exile
quote:
jostorm wrote:
By the way, I really enjoy reading on this board, the sense of humour is great, the people quite lovable (mostly), and the freedom of speech unrivalled on any other board, but the degree of "surreality" is sometimes a bit too high for an outsider to "follow" the groove.....

couldn't agree more.
21st March 2006 05:20 AM
Jumacfly Hi there!!
the people that can give you the answers are still sleeping right now.
they ll be back in a few hours.
21st March 2006 05:43 AM
jostorm Thanks, Ju! I'll go and do some work in the meantime....
Exile: do you happen to have another picture of those two girls while doing a handstand??? I think it would improve your signature ever so slightly...
21st March 2006 06:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I "got it" straight away that Joey is not in need of a high colonic irrigation, that most men here have had a colonoscope shoved up their rear at one time or another (but they refuse to tell whether they enjoyed the experience or not), and that Gazza has a weakness for sheep when the Irish weather allows it ...

hold on a fuckin' second here....this is the first I've read about this!!!

I live in the city, my dear. Unlike those mountains in your neck of the woods, theres no sheep anywhere near me!!

I do have a weakness for certain other furry animals though, but not THOSE ones!
[Edited by Gazza]
21st March 2006 06:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
BUT: what's this constant reference to Omaha about???

Omaha is Joey's hometown and which recently hosted its first Stones show in 40 years. The expression to be "Omaha'ed" was (brilliantly) coined by Maxlugar to describe the bog-standard greatest hits type setlist that the Stones normally serve up when playing to an audience in a lesser market who havent seen them in a long time and who, the band probably think, would expect nothing more inspired than that. So, if a show isnt getting stuff like 'Worried about you', 'Sway', 'As Tears Go By' and other lost gems that occasionally have popped up on this tour, it runs the risk of getting such a tag. With so many one nighters to come on the rest of the tour - and almost all stadium gigs - you can expect Omaha to be magically transported to Japan, China, Oz & Nz and much of Europe at various times in the coming months.

I'm sure Pug and others can enlighten you on the others better than I can!
21st March 2006 06:47 PM
pdog I once felt like an outsider here.
So, I built me a little house of straw... BUT!!! The big bad wolf blew it down.
So, I built me a little house of wood... BUT!!! The big bad wolf blew it down.
So, I built me a little house of bricks... Try as he might, he huffed and puffed and puffed and huffed, BUT !!! He couldn't blow my house down.
Here I am, finally on the inside, safe and comfortable.
All are welcome, I do not wish to keep anyone out.
Oh, and...
What does surreal mean?

21st March 2006 11:35 PM
exile
quote:
pdog wrote:
What does surreal mean

sur·re·al    ( P ) 
adj.

1. Having qualities attributed to or associated with surrealism: “Even with most facilities shut down... a few mavericks managed to slip into the park to sample the almost surreal emptiness before the shutdown ended.”

2. Having an oddly dreamlike quality.

21st March 2006 11:52 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Omaha is Joey's hometown and which recently hosted its first Stones show in 40 years. The expression to be "Omaha'ed" was (brilliantly) coined by Maxlugar to describe the bog-standard greatest hits type setlist that the Stones normally serve up when playing to an audience in a lesser market who havent seen them in a long time and who, the band probably think, would expect nothing more inspired than that. So, if a show isnt getting stuff like 'Worried about you', 'Sway', 'As Tears Go By' and other lost gems that occasionally have popped up on this tour, it runs the risk of getting such a tag. With so many one nighters to come on the rest of the tour - and almost all stadium gigs - you can expect Omaha to be magically transported to Japan, China, Oz & Nz and much of Europe at various times in the coming months.

I'm sure Pug and others can enlighten you on the others better than I can!

I am happy to announce that I have not been Omaha'ed once during this tour. Ofcourse,I don't live in Nebraska,and I have only attended shows in city's that the band actully respects.

Riffy
21st March 2006 11:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Humiliated by Riffy... I was Omaha'ed twice, in my own "town" and in Monterrey, but regardless of that they were great shows as great as those I attended in Buenos Aires, because of the heat

Anyway...

22nd March 2006 12:15 AM
Riffhard
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Humiliated by Riffy... I was Omaha'ed twice, in my own "town" and in Monterrey, but regardless of that they were great shows as great as those I attended in Buenos Aires, because of the heat

Anyway...

LOL! No Gerardo you did not really get Omaha'ed in the true sense of the word. I mean afterall the Stones have at least played your town more than once in the last forty years! The Stones RESPECT Mexico! Which is more than Omaha can ever say! So,you see,you were not really Omaha'ed!

Riffy
22nd March 2006 12:17 AM
pdog This is a thing of beauty!

22nd March 2006 12:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl But they didn't play "Already Over me" which mentions Mexico and they didn't play Rocks Off to honor me

That was their seventh show in that venue in the last 11 years, not bad
22nd March 2006 12:20 AM
Riffhard
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

That was their seventh show in that venue in the last 11 years, not bad

To me that settles it! Mexico did not get Omaha'ed! However,Nebraska should as hell did!

Riffy
22nd March 2006 03:09 AM
Altamont
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Does that image make you happy?
22nd March 2006 03:29 AM
FotiniD I'm pretty sure Athens is going to be Omaha'ed
22nd March 2006 03:48 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I'm pretty sure Athens is going to be Omaha'ed

Nice too for sure.
22nd March 2006 04:15 AM
jostorm Good morning, sleepyheads on the other side of the pond!
Thanks for all that, I loved the pictures and I feel slightly more enlightened this morning. I shall henceforth forthwith use the expression "to be Omaha-ed" myself (probably for every bloody concert in Europe I go to, no doubt)...Perhaps after the tour has finished, I shall apply it to unimaginative sex instead (as in "go on then,if you must, but don't Omaha me!"...
Talking of which:
GAZZA! Don't fly off the handle,Dear, I know that it is me and not you who resides in the softly flowing, lushfully- green, sheep-shagging hills of the North of England...But don't you think that perhaps you ought to change your signature quote from "WE NEED SHEEP" to "WE NEED BEAVERS", if only to avoid confusing further newcomers to this board????
22nd March 2006 04:17 AM
Angiegirl So is Amsterdam. I once heard Mick say in a documentary that Dutch audiences really come to a show for the big hits...

Go wash your mouth Micky boy!
22nd March 2006 04:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Good morning, sleepyheads on the other side of the pond!

sleepyhead!!!!! I take issue with that characterization.
It's 4:30 am in New England and I get more work done before 7 am than most people get done all day.
22nd March 2006 04:53 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
:
GAZZA! Don't fly off the handle,Dear, I know that it is me and not you who resides in the softly flowing, lushfully- green, sheep-shagging hills of the North of England...But don't you think that perhaps you ought to change your signature quote from "WE NEED SHEEP" to "WE NEED BEAVERS", if only to avoid confusing further newcomers to this board????

ah..now I see what you mean. However, 'twas Lady Jane who was responsible for that verbal masterpiece, not I.

I plead innocent of all charges!
22nd March 2006 05:03 AM
jostorm well, TM, you may be exceedingly productive at this ungodly time of the day, but also a tad touchy...Is there a reason for this? Please don't tell me you were Omaha'ed last night???
(No offence intended, honestly, it is only a term of endearment....)
Gotta do some work now, talk to you all later....
22nd March 2006 05:11 AM
jostorm In which context??? What would a real Lady require sheep for? (really gotta go now, but will call in later!)
22nd March 2006 05:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jostorm wrote:
well, TM, you may be exceedingly productive at this ungodly time of the day, but also a tad touchy...Is there a reason for this? Please don't tell me you were Omaha'ed last night???

LOL. Hell no, I'm not touchy.
(see I even posted a smiley icon)
22nd March 2006 06:01 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

With so many one nighters to come on the rest of the tour - and almost all stadium gigs - you can expect Omaha to be magically transported to Japan, China, Oz & Nz and much of Europe at various times in the coming months.

Omaha'd (sp?) in australia??

i hope not and indeed i expect not

we shall see soon enough..is being "omaha'd" justification for a riot?!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
22nd March 2006 07:32 AM
Gazza who needs an excuse for a riot these days?

have one on me!
22nd March 2006 07:37 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

ah..now I see what you mean. However, 'twas Lady Jane who was responsible for that verbal masterpiece, not I.

I plead innocent of all charges!

I'm NEVER gonna live that one down!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!

I blame Nanky...it's all his fault!!!!!!!!! LMFAO.

LJ.
22nd March 2006 07:55 AM
corgi37 They wont Omaha us cause they came here just 3 years ago. Sway, Worried about you, ATGB, Come on, Faraway Eyes, Dandelion, We love you, Child of the moon, Cocksucker Blues (B stage of course)..

..All these songs have been stockpiled in the song armoury for release to the Aussie crowds. After all, Mick is 1/2 Aussie.

The band once didnt respect us. From 73-95. But, once Crocodile Dundee and Jacko started doing stuff overseas, they figured they better come back here.

And, they havent looked back.
22nd March 2006 07:58 AM
Madafaka This thread could be called "RO User's Guide".
If you wanna understand EVERYTHING on this board, you really need to read it smoked! That's all the big secret.
22nd March 2006 08:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
They wont Omaha us cause they came here just 3 years ago. Sway, Worried about you, ATGB, Come on, Faraway Eyes, Dandelion, We love you, Child of the moon, Cocksucker Blues (B stage of course)..

..All these songs have been stockpiled in the song armoury for release to the Aussie crowds. After all, Mick is 1/2 Aussie.

The band once didnt respect us. From 73-95. But, once Crocodile Dundee and Jacko started doing stuff overseas, they figured they better come back here.

And, they havent looked back.

I think the influence of Crocodile Dundee on Aussiephiles is over-estimated as opposed to the cultural affect of the likes of Mrs Mangel

and the late, great (and still much-missed) Bouncer (RIP)...

[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)