ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philip Townsend exibition in London
The photography of Philip Townsend, soon available through Forty Licks Fan Club
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Quick Keef guitar question Return to archive
14th March 2006 06:09 PM
Vinyl kills Does he ever play a Gibson Les Paul anymore? If not when did he stop using it? Live and in studio.

Thank you!
14th March 2006 06:18 PM
ebmp He does not use a Les Paul anymore... Unfortunately.. I dont think this Gibson ES 355 fits him, although it´s reaally a beauty

I wish he used that Black Beauty Les Paul he used in the 70´s
14th March 2006 06:27 PM
72Tele I think Keiths best guitar is the late 50's double cutaway Les Paul Junior that he only uses on Midnight Rambler. Great guitar that out of the box was around $125.00 now more like $2500.00 and if played by Keith $250,000.00. He also plays a single cutaway sunburst LP Junior that he used on stage as recently as No Security.
14th March 2006 06:33 PM
ebmp Yeah that Double Cutaway has a greeeaat sound...

I really like the Tele´s sound though. How does he get that YCAGWYW sound? Does he use any effects?
14th March 2006 06:43 PM
Mikey he used a beautiful sunburst LP during the VL tour for Satisfaction.

I personally liked the white Tele for Satisfaction used for BTB.
14th March 2006 07:47 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
ebmp wrote:
He does not use a Les Paul anymore... Unfortunately.. I dont think this Gibson ES 355 fits him, although it´s reaally a beauty

I wish he used that Black Beauty Les Paul he used in the 70´s

Yeah, what is it with the heavy reliance on the 355s? I don't get it. Other than the fact that they're comparatively lightweight, I don't think they're giving him any tone he couldn't find in a more versatile guitar.
14th March 2006 08:41 PM
CraigP What was the guitar he used on Live at the Max on Satisfaction that Ronnie was using otherwise that tour? They were white and had a very hot, unique metal-ish tone
14th March 2006 08:45 PM
Mel Belli Those were the Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. Keith used them on the '88 Winos tour, and must've turned Ronnie onto them. Later, in '93, Keith had one in black. I thought they sounded fantastic -- probably my favorite non-Tele sound Keith has had in the past 20 years.
15th March 2006 08:08 AM
Ramrod On the 'Voodoo Lounge' tour in Sydney, Keith used his single cutaway 50's Les Paul Junior on 4 songs - 'It's all over now','Sympathy', 'Monkey Man' and 'It's only rock'n'roll'. It sounded fantastic. He used what looked like could have been an actual late 50's Les Paul Standard on 'Shattered' and 'Satisfaction'. Needless to say, it also sounded fantastic and the closest I've heard to the studio sounds live for 'Satisfaction'. He played the white Fender Strat on 'Miss you', but all other electrics for the rest of the songs were his various Telecasters, as per usual.

I think he should use Les Pauls more too. He used them extensively in the '60's (Standards and Customs) for all their classic recordings and also a lot in the '70's (Juniors), so why not now?. I think Les Pauls give their sound more meat.
16th March 2006 05:25 AM
Mathijs A Gibson ES-355 is NOT any lighter than a good Les Paul.

Mathijs

16th March 2006 05:29 AM
speedfreakjive last time he used one, I think, was Voodoo Lounge Tour.A sunburst one.
19th March 2006 04:09 PM
Wayneowl Didn't he use a Dan Armstrong 'glass'(?) guitar sometime in the mid 70's? John Fogerty has a nice Les Paul Jnr as well. Their tone is bitchin'
19th March 2006 10:23 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 He used a Dan Armstrong from 1969 to 1972. He used a couple onstage. One capoed and one uncapoed. He used only one in 1969 on the united tour and that was an uncapoed guitar.
[Edited by Stonesmillenium2001]
20th March 2006 01:08 AM
unrockstar wouldn't his interest in the country-ish twang and love of soul/funk keep him away from les paul's...and more into tele's and the like? Some peeps think that les pauls are too meaty for that kind of music...
20th March 2006 03:30 AM
Mathijs >>the country-ish twang and love of soul/funk keep him away >>from les paul's...

I guess not, as the Stones aren't a country or soul/funk band...

I guess Keith just doesn't like Les Pauls that much anymore. The LP Custom was his main guitar from 1966 until 1971, and when his guitars got stolen in July 1971 he replaced all with LP's and Tele's, but for one reason or another, he never fancied the LP as he used to. At the beginning of the '75 tour there's a Standard and a Goldtop, and on the '78 and '81 tours a Junior Special and TV Junior pop up once in a while, but that's about it. In 1997 he played a ES-355 for the first time again in public since 1971, and it has stayed one of his main guitars since then. The feel and touch, but also the sound, differ greatly from a Les Paul, but the weight is about the same.

Mathijs
21st March 2006 11:48 PM
unrockstar yeah, but aside from the blues, and later reggae, keith became obsessed with old school country players (gram parson/ry cooder influences there) and soul music...they weren't a funk or a soul band, they just tried to be a funk and soul band on many albums (billy preston hellped so much there)....from doing marvin gaye covers to ripping off the isley brothers...the white rock and roll boys always did funk and soul...there's not one album past the 60s whre that isn't obvious on numorous cuts...and even the 60s records have many examples...
[Edited by unrockstar]
22nd March 2006 02:24 PM
Wayneowl Les Pauls don't sound very good in Open G or Open D, where as Tele's do
27th March 2006 05:59 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yeah, what is it with the heavy reliance on the 355s? I don't get it. Other than the fact that they're comparatively lightweight, I don't think they're giving him any tone he couldn't find in a more versatile guitar.

335s and 355s are VERY versatile guitars!
27th March 2006 03:27 PM
Wayneowl There's another thread going about Keith's Skulls & Daggers guitar, but i think they've got the name mixed up. I think the guitar they're refering to is 'Micawber', his butterscotch tele (Open G, no capo)(?).
[Edited by Wayneowl]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)