ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I've got a very good feeling about this Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
March 22nd, 2005 05:05 PM
Riffhard I really am starting to think that we might just get a brilliant album from the boys this time around. Given what info we do know already the signs are all pointing to a strong effort. Their are several reasons I'm so optimistic.

Firstly it would appear that for the first time in years Keith and Mick are actully writing songs together. This was not the case with B2B,VL,or even SW. On those albums there was no doubt some collaborative efforts put forth,but most songs were either Mick or Keith songs with the two of them offering up ideas to each other here and there. In the case of B2B some times they were on compleatly different pages. Hell,Keith did not even play on the songs that he felt were beneath him. Read Dust Brothers. That was why B2B sounded like two albums meshed together as one. This time,according to Don Was,they are actully sitting down together and bashing songs into shape as the true songwriting partnership that they used to display years ago. That can only be the harbinger for good things.

Second,after the disaster of Goddess in the Doorway Mick has got to know that the world wants a REAL Stones' album. His ego has to come into play here. Mick may take a "fuck the past" attitude sometimes,but you don't become the greatest frontman ever by being timid or egoless. His ego must dictate,to some extant,his desire for retribution from his own solo failings. A great Stones' effort would erase all the negative press that he had to endure after the miserable sales of GITD.

Thirdly,the Stones must see the writing on the wall as the years go by. Afterall,a great band once sung about time waiting for no one. They once prided themselves as not being a "nostalgia" band,but you'd be hard pressed to find any average fan that could name the last three or four Stones' albums by title. Like it or not the band has become nothing more than a touring band living on past glories. Again,Mick's ego must really resent that fact,and Keith no doubt is really pushing the band to overcome this hurdle.

And finally,the Stones' own contemporaries have been putting out gems lately. Namely Bob Dylan,but even Clapton received critical acclaim for his "Me and Mr. Johnson" cd. It's not like the Stones have lost their talent. They have it in them to write a brilliant swan song album if they feel that the need is there. I think that they have begun to relize this now. Jagger's own ego has always demanded that he be current. Surely his most recent flop has shown him that generation X,Y,and Z don't give two shits about "new" Jagger efforts. New Stones? Well that could be another story all together. Another Some Girls would go a long way towards winning over the younger demo. Even if they aren't really looking for that it would be nice to see the Stones get the respect for their own current work that someone like Dylan has received for his. That means they must put out a very good to great album. No Dust Brothers,drum loops,sampleing,or any other "current" device shit.

I really think that when you do the math it all adds up to a Stones' album where they will really try to impress. While I don't nessesarily feel that they have a damned thing to prove,I have a strong belief that they would like to prove it all the same.

Riffhard
March 22nd, 2005 05:10 PM
nankerphelge I like your optimism Riffy!

You get laid recently or sumthin'???
March 22nd, 2005 05:14 PM
Riffhard LOL! You better know it nanky! Please refer to www.maxlugar.com for further tales of debuachery and demon life living.

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
March 22nd, 2005 05:51 PM
gotdablouse Yes, maybe...although they did spend a lot of time together writing songs for VL, can't say anything very memorable came out of it, unlike B2B with at least OOC and SOM and ASMB isn't bad either.
My biggest concern at this point is what kind of guitars we're going to have on that album, I guess they can write stuff here and there, but coming up with guitar parts of interest ? Do you do that in a week or two in Mick's garden house after you've been on cruise control for 7+ years? For B2B they got some brilliant help in that department from Waddy Wachtel, but it seems he's uninvited this time around and Darryl's boring bass playing can't be counted on to spice things up. Honestly I have a pretty bad feeling about that new album and if for some reason the tour doesn't go underway, I see it getting delayed...
March 22nd, 2005 06:02 PM
JumpingKentFlash Yeah well you name is GotDaBlues right??? You should have a bad feeling about most things.

This one's gonna be KILLER........

VL and B2B ROOOCKS!!!
[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]
March 22nd, 2005 06:27 PM
Gazza I'm not so sure. Something tells me (namely his next to zero output in the last decade) that Keith's songwriting chops could well and truly be washed up. I still think Mick is capable of it, though. here's hoping that writing together has given Keith plenty of inspiration and he gets plenty of "incoming" on his 'antenna'
March 22nd, 2005 06:31 PM
Mikey I hope you're right, Riffhard

I am a little more pessimistic and feel that because of a lack of creative inspiration, along with the ravages of time and age that the next album will be very mediocre.

I hope to hell I'm wrong and will welcome any "I told you so"s if the album rocks.

I just get a feeling that they're musically tapped out, with Keith and Ron unable to be in a position to offer anything musically that doesn't sound like a cousin or brother from their incredible body of work.

Here's hoping I don't know shit.
[Edited by Mikey]
March 22nd, 2005 06:43 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm not so sure. Something tells me (namely his next to zero output in the last decade) that Keith's songwriting chops could well and truly be washed up. I still think Mick is capable of it, though. here's hoping that writing together has given Keith plenty of inspiration and he gets plenty of "incoming" on his 'antenna'

Gazza just please go with my well thought out thesis on the subject and think nothing but good thoughts! No great thoughts! It's gonna happen Gazza! You gotta believe!

Riffhard
March 22nd, 2005 07:17 PM
Dan Who is gonna let me come to their house to listen before I decide whether or not I want to cough up any money on this?
March 22nd, 2005 07:35 PM
luxury1 i am not getting any "incoming" on my antenna as of yet. I cant seem to get a bead on this upcoming album/tour at all. I am surely hoping it is all scaled down, back to some blues/country twang/R&B.
At least something is brewing......
March 22nd, 2005 08:00 PM
Riffhard Hey listen. I've got as good feeling about this! Don't fuck up my good feeling goddamnit! The new Stones album will be the next Exile! It will be the best they have released since Some Girls! It will harken back to the days of Aftermath! It will be the best since at least Sticky Fingers! It will make everyone remember why the Stones are the greatest! It will be the best since Let It Bleed!

Some people on this thread are trying to fuck up my good feeling! Do you guys not want Riffy to have a good feeling?! Why? Why do you want to fuck up my good feeling?

Don't fuck up my good feeling!

Riffhard

PS-I have a good feeling about this!
March 22nd, 2005 08:02 PM
Some Guy Remember, don't fuck it up!
This will be the one we've all been waiting for!
How was your weekend?
March 22nd, 2005 08:05 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Remember, don't fuck it up!
This will be the one we've all been waiting for!
How was your weekend?

I am trying very hard not to fuck it up Some Guy! That is my new mantra you know!

What? Oh sure, www.maxlugar.com

Riffhard
March 22nd, 2005 08:08 PM
Some Guy Stick to the mantra and you'll do fine. The new album will be the shit!
March 22nd, 2005 08:33 PM
Gazza

Dan, Mikey, Luxy, gotdablouse, Gazza and several other doubters apologise to Riffhard and all of "Rocks Off" and take to the streets, reciting the mantra "STONES ALBUM WILL BE BRILLIANT" for fifteen hours per day from now until August

Thats Riffhard in the background, keeping check on the infidels (big stick not pictured). IanBillen is just out of view.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 22nd, 2005 08:52 PM
LadyJane I will not rain on your parade, Riffy!!

I like your enthusiasm...I have faith that they are going to give us a real gem.

LJ.
March 22nd, 2005 09:24 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm not so sure. Something tells me (namely his next to zero output in the last decade) that Keith's songwriting chops could well and truly be washed up. I still think Mick is capable of it, though. here's hoping that writing together has given Keith plenty of inspiration and he gets plenty of "incoming" on his 'antenna'

while Losing My Touch was a complete turd, Bridges to Babylon should've just been a Keith record. sure, no rockers, but all 3 of his songs embarrassed anything of Mick's for the album. I'm not saying I didn't like some of Mick's songs, but not really anything special. a couple Keith rockers (picture Too Tight as a KR track instead - I mean I prefer Mick's vocals but that's exactly the type of song Keef needs to go back to doing) and that album could've been better than Talk is Cheap, instead of sub-Voodoo Lounge
March 22nd, 2005 09:35 PM
monkeyman62 I would hope so since the last brilliant album was in 81
March 22nd, 2005 10:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

while Losing My Touch was a complete turd, Bridges to Babylon should've just been a Keith record. sure, no rockers, but all 3 of his songs embarrassed anything of Mick's for the album. I'm not saying I didn't like some of Mick's songs, but not really anything special. a couple Keith rockers (picture Too Tight as a KR track instead - I mean I prefer Mick's vocals but that's exactly the type of song Keef needs to go back to doing) and that album could've been better than Talk is Cheap, instead of sub-Voodoo Lounge

well, Flip the Switch and Lowdown were Keith "rockers". He just didnt happen to sing them. FTS is a gem, I think. And I love the three songs that he DOES sing on BTB.

when doubting Keith's output in the last decade, I'm not questioning the quality of the songs he did bring to the table for BTB, an album which I happen to love more than anything theyve done since Tattoo You. I'm questioning the lack of output. Since Voodoo Lounge - an album which was finished 11 years ago - his released output comes to just seven songs.

I find it amazing that a guy who we're led to believe lives for making music has been of all people the LEAST active member of the band in the downtime between tours over the last decade. No solo projects save the occasional brief session, no solo gigging in twelve years, nothing. I'm just bewildered at the lack of motivation by Keith, of ALL people.

Keith's officially released recorded and written output in the last eight years amounts to ONE song. Losing My Touch. There's something of an irony in that title, both in the quality of the song and the volume of material released.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 22nd, 2005 10:46 PM
ResidentMule not trying to knock B2B here. I probably like that album more than the average Stones fan. there were just things here & there that were dragging it down, like the production, and Mick's lyrics especially. I like Flip the Switch a lot too, but I'd like it a lot more without 'I got the turkey and the stuffing too...' . maybe another song that should've been for a Keith album, even though there's no comparison I'd rather hear Jagger singing, it would be proof that while Keith's output has mostly consisted of softer (and excellent) songs like Thief (while the more recent Jagger ballads are Always Suffering and Anyway You Look At It - I'm just gonna ignore Dogshit), he can still throw out some great rockers. I just think that album would've done more for me as a KR release than a Stones. whatever, I enjoy it anyway

and I meant Keith-preformed songs, not Keith written songs. its valid of you to bring it up certainly I just never kept track of who wrote which songs (since its all Jagger-Richards in the liner notes anyway, even if its not really true). alright, so couting the 'Keith songs' that Mick sings Keith had - what - 6 songs off B2B? that would be more than enough than the backbone to make a record at least as good as Talk Is Cheap. I mean his other solo records had songs that were filler, or at least had clearly lesser need for any composition skills. so maybe they were only 6 songs but still good enough to skate by as well as he's done any time in the last 2+ decades

no doubt about it though, when it comes to quantity Keith's output hasn't shown much. I really don't know why he hasn't done a studio album in all this time. believe me, its hard to not see Keith's "dedication" to music as not becoming more transparent the less he makes it. I don't really buy the hype he puts into that 'live to make music' thing he says he has. musicians don't need to hug their guitar after each song to prove anything to me. not that he's really any less of a musician to me - I still respect him, he just has less to show for it now. hopefully that only means he's gotten lazy and he'll come back with something good. I doubt he's actually lost it.

anyway, I'm holding onto my reservations for this album at least until we hear something solid about it. I mean having Mick & Keith writing together is obviously a big plus, but with Ronnie barely involved - he won't have anything to really contribute unless he gets really deep into the songs. a Ron Wood overdubbed solo appeals to me less than that last Santana album - worthless. not to mention, depending on how much they do the digital recording thing its still too easy to fuck it all up. but I am optimistic that the more time in the studio means the more time Keith plays his guitar. all the sloppy playing on the Licks tour didn't sound to me like he didn't have the songs rehearsed, it sounded like he just hadn't played much at all in the off time. and no, I didn't forget that he has arthritis.
March 23rd, 2005 05:55 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I really am starting to think that we might just get a brilliant album from the boys this time around. Given what info we do know already the signs are all pointing to a strong effort. Their are several reasons I'm so optimistic.

Firstly it would appear that for the first time in years Keith and Mick are actully writing songs together. This was not the case with B2B,VL,or even SW. On those albums there was no doubt some collaborative efforts put forth,but most songs were either Mick or Keith songs with the two of them offering up ideas to each other here and there. In the case of B2B some times they were on compleatly different pages. Hell,Keith did not even play on the songs that he felt were beneath him. Read Dust Brothers. That was why B2B sounded like two albums meshed together as one. This time,according to Don Was,they are actully sitting down together and bashing songs into shape as the true songwriting partnership that they used to display years ago. That can only be the harbinger for good things.

Second,after the disaster of Goddess in the Doorway Mick has got to know that the world wants a REAL Stones' album. His ego has to come into play here. Mick may take a "fuck the past" attitude sometimes,but you don't become the greatest frontman ever by being timid or egoless. His ego must dictate,to some extant,his desire for retribution from his own solo failings. A great Stones' effort would erase all the negative press that he had to endure after the miserable sales of GITD.

Thirdly,the Stones must see the writing on the wall as the years go by. Afterall,a great band once sung about time waiting for no one. They once prided themselves as not being a "nostalgia" band,but you'd be hard pressed to find any average fan that could name the last three or four Stones' albums by title. Like it or not the band has become nothing more than a touring band living on past glories. Again,Mick's ego must really resent that fact,and Keith no doubt is really pushing the band to overcome this hurdle.

And finally,the Stones' own contemporaries have been putting out gems lately. Namely Bob Dylan,but even Clapton received critical acclaim for his "Me and Mr. Johnson" cd. It's not like the Stones have lost their talent. They have it in them to write a brilliant swan song album if they feel that the need is there. I think that they have begun to relize this now. Jagger's own ego has always demanded that he be current. Surely his most recent flop has shown him that generation X,Y,and Z don't give two shits about "new" Jagger efforts. New Stones? Well that could be another story all together. Another Some Girls would go a long way towards winning over the younger demo. Even if they aren't really looking for that it would be nice to see the Stones get the respect for their own current work that someone like Dylan has received for his. That means they must put out a very good to great album. No Dust Brothers,drum loops,sampleing,or any other "current" device shit.

I really think that when you do the math it all adds up to a Stones' album where they will really try to impress. While I don't nessesarily feel that they have a damned thing to prove,I have a strong belief that they would like to prove it all the same.

Riffhard

AMEN Riffy! I loved every damn word on your brilliant post, and actually I feel the same.

And I loved this==> "Hey listen. I've got as good feeling about this! Don't fuck up my good feeling goddamnit! " - PRICELESS!

As you said, I don't believe they owe us anything, but no matter what has done in the past, they are always trying to prove something.

And for the fuckin' sakes......I can't stand all the negativeness on Ron or Keith. Yes, they are lazy bastards. I just think if they still want to prove something, at least Keith and Ron could make some efforts regarding RAW GUITARS. Yes, Voodoo Lounge had that. Emotional Rescue had it also.

Finally, someone showed there is still a strong hope and positivity. Thank you little fella!
March 23rd, 2005 08:47 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
monkeyman62 wrote:
I would hope so since the last brilliant album was in 81

I THINK YOU MEAN 1986
March 23rd, 2005 08:58 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I THINK YOU MEAN 1986

LOL....winning Ugly should be played every night and they should open with Back to Zero..
March 23rd, 2005 09:15 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I THINK YOU MEAN 1986

Believe me, I have only listened that album once. Plus, I still haven't bought it yet.
March 23rd, 2005 09:20 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Believe me, I have only listened that album once. Plus, I still haven't bought it yet.

Hi JJF!
I ve downloaded the alternative dirty works, it 's even worse!!
March 23rd, 2005 09:27 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi JJF!

Juma ..................................

You make Joey smile !
March 23rd, 2005 09:30 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Joey wrote:

Juma ..................................

You make Joey smile !

it s a good debut my dear Joey !!
March 23rd, 2005 10:08 AM
Pierre 1/ I hate B2B
2/ After waiting for 8 years, I hope the next on will be good (can't be worse IMO)
March 23rd, 2005 10:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi JJF!

I think the alternate stuff and outtakes blow the shit out of the released version

Obviously they couldnt release hardly any of these songs because there's not that much contribution by Mick on them, but it remains to this day (with the possible exception of Emotional Rescue) the only Stones album where the circulating outtakes are better than what they released.
March 23rd, 2005 10:18 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think the alternate stuff and outtakes blow the shit out of the released version

Obviously they couldnt release hardly any of these songs because there's not that much contribution by Mick on them, but it remains to this day (with the possible exception of Emotional Rescue) the only Stones album where the circulating outtakes are better than what they released.

hey Gazza!

yes it's better but....that s dirty work you know , a dramatic record!!
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood