ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wembley 82 Return to archive
March 21st, 2005 06:02 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER I saw yesterday a pro shot from wembley 82.
I get my rocks off really!!!
The band play good with a great Charlie.

Do you know this video?

there is only the last 45 minutes but what a fucking band!!!!!!!!!
March 21st, 2005 06:09 AM
Gazza I remember when the video of this first circulated around 1984 or so.

Some guy paid an extortionate sum for the master - like £500 or so - and was selling 1st gen copies for about £45 each. When you realise that Stones tickets for that show were something like £10, that was quite a lot of money for a video at the time!!

The video comes from the saturday night show (26th June). They played Friday 25th as well.
[Edited by Gazza]
March 21st, 2005 06:23 AM
glimmertwin50 Thanks Gazza for that info. I have the video but wasn't sure until your post which night it was from. It's a nice video to have.
March 21st, 2005 06:29 AM
Gazza according to Nick Kent's account at the time (later regurgitated by Victor Bockris and other biographers, without even checking the evidence) this was the show where Ronnie screwed up the intro to "Shes So Cold" and Keith ran over and punched him in the face.

It's quite clear from the visual evidence that the story is a complete myth. While the camera isnt on Ronnie during the intro, its quite clear from his demeanour (and Keith's) when it does focus in on them a few seconds later that this incident simply didnt take place.
March 21st, 2005 06:33 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER yES What a strange version of she so cold!!!! so rolling stones!!!

But a great show!!!
It' the first time i see a video of tour 82.
i think it's the only one. No ?
March 21st, 2005 06:36 AM
monkeyman62 why not the whole show?
March 21st, 2005 07:11 AM
Gazza They didnt have video screens for most Stones shows back then. At a few shows on the European tour, they had a screen above the stage from a few songs in (usually around "Neighbours" or thereabouts - Jagger would say "lets see whats on tv" and it would be switched on)

the wembley pro-shot was presumably bought from a reel used by the Stones crew for filming the multi-camera shots you would have seen on the big screen. The footage begins during "Tumbling Dice" so I guess the rest of what was filmed was on a different (and so far uncirculated) reel
March 21st, 2005 08:01 AM
brianisnotdead This pro-shot you can find on the 'D-STONE' dvd 'eighty one eighty two vol. 1'.

ERIK
March 21st, 2005 12:42 PM
HellsRollingThunder To Brianisnotdead:
Hey love that! Man if BJ is not dead where is he? Like was there
a clone in the casket? Would the real Brian Jones come out from
hiding?!
March 21st, 2005 03:27 PM
brianisnotdead He has opened a trust fund for me just 11 years ago. The trustee is Brian Jones, how can that be explained. If I keep him and his music alive. A well-known lawyer is representing him. Yes, I have a stepsister. If you know my real name you get a picture of his last performance. Of course a never released stunning photo.

ERIK
March 21st, 2005 05:07 PM
Stray Cat UK This was my 1st Stones gig just before I turned 17.

I got a copy of the footage only last year. What memories it brought back .
Before the encore they show the crowd in front of the stage.I keep expecting to see myself (a lot younger AND thinner !) staring back.

I never saw Keith hit Ronnie and in those days I probably watched Keith 90% of the time. I think it stems from the usual Nick Kent bollocks.

I hope it all surfaces one day.

sc uk
March 21st, 2005 08:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
according to Nick Kent's account at the time (later regurgitated by Victor Bockris and other biographers, without even checking the evidence) this was the show where Ronnie screwed up the intro to "Shes So Cold" and Keith ran over and punched him in the face.

I never heard about that but I don't believe this story.
March 22nd, 2005 08:10 AM
Gazza It's one of many Keith stories that are apocrophyal and which, when confronted by documentary or eye witness evidence simply dont appear to have taken place.

Bockris also mentions (presumably rehashes) another story in his book about a show in Gothenburg where Keith, pissed off at Mick and Ronnie for some reason, commandeers a cherry picker (usually used by the other two) and plays a solo on "you cant always get what you want" that lasts for 20 minutes. Utter nonsense. I think the incident may have happened but the notion of Keith playing a guitar solo even a third of that length would be laughable.

File it up there with Keith's own tall tale of his first meeting with Muddy Waters, who had been told to paint the ceiling at Chess Studios because he wasnt selling records at the time.
March 22nd, 2005 07:41 PM
Stray Cat UK Gazza,

Do you mean the Muddy story isn't true ?

I used to believe in the gospel according to Keith, but the older I get ,I begin to realise that "it's only cock N bull " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........sometimes.
March 22nd, 2005 08:08 PM
Gazza Saw an interview with Marshall Chess on TV a year or so back (I think it may have either been that blues series or else it was a separate programme about Muddy) in which he makes a point of saying that he has NO idea where Keith got that idea from and that as far as he was concerned, he made the story up.

By all accounts, Muddy was a very proud man, always very conscious of his appearance and being well dressed etc and no way would he be standing in the lobby of Chess studios or anywhere with paint dripping down his face. Marshall insisted that never in a million years would his father (Leonard Chess) humiliate one of the label's major artists into doing menial labour tasks around the studios because (as Keith put it) "he wasnt selling records anymore".

In "Stone Alone", Bill Wyman says that they did meet Muddy on their second day recording at Chess (ie, 11 June 1964), but that he amazed them with his humility by coming out and helping Stu bring in their guitars. He doesn't mention the "painting" story. Somehow, if it had been true, you would think it would have been memorable enough for Bill to have recounted it. Keith seems to have simply embellished the story, turning Muddy from a temporary assistant roadie into a studio odd-job man!
[Edited by Gazza]
March 23rd, 2005 10:17 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
according to Nick Kent's account at the time (later regurgitated by Victor Bockris and other biographers, without even checking the evidence) this was the show where Ronnie screwed up the intro to "Shes So Cold" and Keith ran over and punched him in the face.

It's quite clear from the visual evidence that the story is a complete myth. While the camera isnt on Ronnie during the intro, its quite clear from his demeanour (and Keith's) when it does focus in on them a few seconds later that this incident simply didnt take place.

Well what about the musical evidence - I haven't heard this gig - does Ron fuck up? Is it clear he balls up? Or is it one of thjem "well you can't hear him anyway!"!
March 23rd, 2005 10:21 AM
Gazza "Shes So Cold" was such a ramshackle job on that tour that my answer would be "no more than usual". The intro is somewhat flawed but within about ten seconds of ths song kicking in the camera zooms in on Woody and he's playing away like his usual self. He certainly doesnt in any way look like someone who's just been thumped or publicly humiliated. Neither does Keith look particuraly pissed off either.
March 23rd, 2005 12:07 PM
exilestones@netscape She's So Cold and Hand Gire sucked live
March 23rd, 2005 01:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Shes So Cold" was such a ramshackle job on that tour that my answer would be "no more than usual". The intro is somewhat flawed but within about ten seconds of ths song kicking in the camera zooms in on Woody and he's playing away like his usual self. He certainly doesnt in any way look like someone who's just been thumped or publicly humiliated. Neither does Keith look particuraly pissed off either.

This is another fantastic thread that i enjoyed reading from start to finish. I have a feeling as the tour gets closer, we will see more like this!

Cheers!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood