ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: the song Sway Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 20th, 2005 08:57 PM
Lethargy Hi all. I'm currently obsessing on the song Sway, having played it about 5 times in a row. It's sublimely beautiful, ain't it? The hazy but powerful mid-tempo beat (good job Charlie), the driving chords by Keith, the great lead guitar by Taylor (esp. at the end), the howling by Jagger. Just fabulous.

The essence of the lyrics, though, have always escaped me. I know it's a little silly on many levels to analyze Stones lyrics too deeply, but I'm curious what people make of these words. I don't need a literal interpretation, just some impressions.

What is 'that demon life'? Is it just the drug life or something a little less obvious? And what's the second stanza all about (ain't flinging tears...friends on the burial ground...etc.)?

Thanks in advance. And of course, for reference, we have:

Did you ever wake up to find
A day that broke up your mind
Destroyed your notion of circular time

It's just that demon life has got you in its sway

Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground
For all my friends out on the burial ground
Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down

It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

There must be ways to find out
Love is the way they say is really strutting out

Hey, hey, hey now
One day I woke up to find
Right in the bed next to mine
Someone that broke me up with a corner of her smile, yeah
March 20th, 2005 09:00 PM
JumpingKentFlash I share your enthusiasm for this gem. I wish they'd play it on the next tour.
March 20th, 2005 09:06 PM
beer One of the best songs they ever did.

Keith doesn't play on the song, just sings backing vocals.
March 20th, 2005 09:11 PM
Lethargy Thanks for the clarification, beer. I knew that Moonlight Mile was Keith-less, but didn't know that about Sway. Jeez, Taylor really kicks some ass on this then, doesn't he?
March 20th, 2005 09:17 PM
Soldatti Classic song, Mick J. did a great job with the rhythm guitar and of course Mick T. is outstanding.
March 20th, 2005 09:24 PM
beer I think it was rehearsed in Toronto before the Licks tour started. Did any recordings of those tour rehearsels ever surface??
March 20th, 2005 09:44 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Hi all. I'm currently obsessing on the song Sway, having played it about 5 times in a row. It's sublimely beautiful, ain't it? The hazy but powerful mid-tempo beat (good job Charlie), the driving chords by Keith, the great lead guitar by Taylor (esp. at the end), the howling by Jagger. Just fabulous.

The essence of the lyrics, though, have always escaped me. I know it's a little silly on many levels to analyze Stones lyrics too deeply, but I'm curious what people make of these words. I don't need a literal interpretation, just some impressions.

What is 'that demon life'? Is it just the drug life or something a little less obvious? And what's the second stanza all about (ain't flinging tears...friends on the burial ground...etc.)?

Thanks in advance. And of course, for reference, we have:

Did you ever wake up to find
A day that broke up your mind
Destroyed your notion of circular time

Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground
For all my friends out on the burial ground
Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down

There must be ways to find out
Love is the way they say is really strutting out

Hey, hey, hey now
One day I woke up to find
Right in the bed next to mine
Someone that broke me up with a corner of her smile, yeah

To me it's about the death of the 60s and the disillusionment that came with it. Also the notion that life moves on and on and on and on and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Kind of like a much much smarter and cooler version of Time Waits for No One. Time is not circular, time is linear, moving ever forward, all your friends die, no time to show remorse, used to think that "love is all you need" but that fad's over, at least you get laid sometimes and meet some cool chicks. Life itself is the demon over you the self. It's also about being a cold-assed motherfucker (the line about the dead friends is one of the deadliest in the whole Stones catalog) with a romantic streak (the last line before the final chorus).

It's Stones lyrics, though, and therefore utterly ambiguous.

But that's what I hear. Your mileage may vary.
March 20th, 2005 09:56 PM
sirmoonie There is a tale of a scary hangover in there too. One of those hangovers where everything that made you feel comfortable and grounded no longer does, and you can't can't convince yourself that you are in control of anything at all. Thompson called it The Fear in F&LILV.

Probably not something a controlling personality like Jagger experienced very often, which may be why he's singing this song like a crazy man. What a performance.
March 20th, 2005 11:28 PM
Trey Krimsin Sway is an underrated classic. 'Nuff said.
March 21st, 2005 12:56 AM
exile Yes fantastic song!

my second favourite after 1."Through the Lonley Nights"

I did not know it was keith-less, there you go ay.
March 21st, 2005 01:17 AM
corgi37 Before i joined this site of sexy ladies and suave gentlemen, i thought i was the only guy in the world who not only knew this song, but positively loved it!

Everything about it amazing. Buckmasters string arrangement. Jagger's sloppy guitar. I love the distortion used! Taylor's solos are erection material. But, it's Charlies almost falling apart beat that makes it. I adore drumming to this song. It's almost like at any time the band is going to stop and start again cause the timing changes. Just brilliant! And, the out of synch backing vocals (WHY WHY WHY do they not do that anymore? I am sick to death of the slick shit).

Keith has bagged Mick a few times about his guitar playing, and this song is often brought up. I doubt Keith would ever consider playing it, but by the pride of Mohammed, this song just about sums it all up.

"It's just that demon life that's got me in it's sway".

The lyrics are a good example of just how brilliant the Stones can be. To me, thinking about it now, i wonder if this song is also influenced by Brian's death. And, Jagger's seeming indifference to it.
March 21st, 2005 01:25 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
To me, thinking about it now, i wonder if this song is also influenced by Brian's death. And, Jagger's seeming indifference to it.

nice observation corgi
March 21st, 2005 03:04 AM
Pierre
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
I share your enthusiasm for this gem. I wish they'd play it on the next tour.

Hope they won't. Can you imagine Ronnie play the end solo ??

March 21st, 2005 04:02 AM
Mathijs note that the lyrics are in the same vein as Winter, and both written by Taylor, not Jagger. In Winter Jagger even sings about Ston(e)y Canyon, Taylors' home in 1972 and 1973.

Mathijs
March 21st, 2005 06:59 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Pierre wrote:

Hope they won't. Can you imagine Ronnie play the end solo ??

Yeah. I really can. Just because MT played a killer solo on it back then, it doesn't mean Ronnie has to copy it like on CYHMK. It would be better not to, 'cause there's only one MT, and only one RW. Ronnie should play a solo in his own way. And we already know he is good at the moment. I can see it happening. That's also the only track they never did on stage from SF isn't it?
March 21st, 2005 08:38 AM
corgi37 Whilst driving home from work, about 10 minutes after posting my, well, umm, post, i worked out almost a whole musical anthology/history lesson, just from this song. I am going to work on my theory tomorrow at work. Yeah, fuck work, i'm talking about Sway!

And, Mick Taylor writing the lyrics is news to me!
March 21st, 2005 08:51 AM
telecaster Do yourself a favor

Download Mick Taylor and Carla Olson (Olsen?) doing "Sway"

Thank me later

March 21st, 2005 08:54 AM
Fiji Joe And while your at it...download Mick Taylor and Carla Olsen doing Winter...thank ME later
March 21st, 2005 09:14 AM
Jack of Hearts I thought it was demon "wine" not "Life" and therefore this songs lyrics have always been straightforward fo me! I am not about to change now!
March 21st, 2005 09:38 AM
telecaster
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
And while your at it...download Mick Taylor and Carla Olsen doing Winter...thank ME later

Fiji. I have tried, tried, and tried to download
that. No luck

Where does one obtain that gem?

tele
March 21st, 2005 12:24 PM
Saint Sway well it should come as no surprise to anyone that "Sway" is my favorite Stones song.

Why?

because it captures everything that is cool and glorious about the Stones. Musically. Lyrically. Spiritually. Attitude. Vibe. Filth. Passion. Pain. Sex. Drugs. Rock and Roll. Its all there, in just under 4 minutes of pure, filthy bliss.

musically it has all the qualities that makes the Stones special beyond all bands. I know Keith doesnt play guitar on it but I'll be damned if that opening riff isnt immensly Keef-esque. It fools me everytime.

from that opening double guitars hammering chords and colliding and crashing into dust against Charlies massive drums and beer bottle breaking cymbals you are instantly moved, your entire equilibrium instantly 'swayed'. The fact that that intro follows Jagger's lazy, world-beaten countdown of "wun, two, three, faw..." only emphasizes the power of the Stones. You can tell by Jagger's tired drawl that its 5 in the morning and they are battling their own fatigue and racing against the sun. Its vampire living. Its what the Stones did better than anyone in the 70s.

the musical highlight of this song is Taylors solo. Its a thing of decadent beauty. It swaggers and sings all on its own. Its druggy sounding and hair raising. It warms your soul as it rushes thru your veins like a heavy dose of warm smack. And at its climax, Jagger delivers his most passionate moment ever captured on tape. THAT HOWL!! Its just gutteral. He's on his soap box beckoning from the bowls of hell for us lazy mothers to stand up and listen. "HEY HEY HEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY NOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!" The man is preaching. Its blue-eyed gospel soul.

And how can you talk about the music of Sway and not mention Charlie. Its one of his finest moments. He puts on a clinic. Very aggressive playing. Pounding the skins and crashing the cymbals like only Charlie can. Its powerful and aggressive while still holding the tempo back in a slow-churning groove. No one else can do that like Watts.

Lyrically its what the Stones represent: demon life. When your hooked by the power and magic of the Stones you are also pulled into their way of life. Face it. Its happened to a lot of us.

the lyrics are bittersweet. Stepping back and looking at a crazed life thru Jagger's hungover view. No regrets. Just acknowledging it is what it is.

the song is at both a great bloozy mellow tune for when your down. And a rauchus and juiced up, sloppy number for when you want to get your kicks and howl at the moon. The key is in the chorus and the way that its delivered with a drug-hazed, world-weary harmony. Its Mick & Keith with their arms draped over each other "swaying" in front of an old mic.

the song can be sad. It can be gregarious. Bitter. Bliss.

the line that absolutely does it for me is "someone just broke me up with a corner of her smile"

if you've ever had demon life get you in your sway or been down, well, sometimes thats all it takes. A little crack of sunshine cutting thru those dark drapes that you've been hiding behind.

thats what this song does for me
March 21st, 2005 12:37 PM
HellsRollingThunder Just by looking at the lyrics it sounds like maybe they are singing
about the nightmarish, despondent side of a life going crazy due
to so much sex, drug, booze with rock and roll. Maybe the words
demon life refers to a wild and super crazy lifestyle that has caught them in its sway catching them in its fast downward spiral
where nothing seems real, IMHO.
March 21st, 2005 12:58 PM
Saint Sway its also a song that the my second favorite band, The Black Crowes, basically patterned their sound, lifestyle and aura after.

in fact, thier song "Sister Luck" was copped directly from "Sway"
March 21st, 2005 01:48 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
note that the lyrics are in the same vein as Winter, and both written by Taylor, not Jagger. In Winter Jagger even sings about Ston(e)y Canyon, Taylors' home in 1972 and 1973.

Totally disagree Mathijs. I'm sure Jagger wrote both these songs (he plays rythmn guitar on both) but obviously collaborated with MT on them. And as far as lyrics, I'm sure they're Jagger's. Stone Canyon is in the Hollywood Hills and is where a lot of rock stars stayed in the 60's & 70's (the Stones stayed up there during the mixing & promotion of Exile).

And I always assumed that Sway was about Gram Parsons.
March 21st, 2005 02:53 PM
VanishByDawn On my top five of Stones songs...
March 21st, 2005 04:39 PM
Saint Sway Alejandro Escoveda recorded a cool, mellow alt-country version of Sway

and Alvin Youngblood Hart recorded a blues rockin version of it as well. Alvin has a side band called Job Cain with Audley Freed from the Black Crowes and the bassist from the Bottle Rockets and they regularly play Sway live.

I have a version of the Black Crowes soundchecking Sway if anyone wants to B&P for it.
March 21st, 2005 05:07 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
note that the lyrics are in the same vein as Winter, and both written by Taylor, not Jagger. In Winter Jagger even sings about Ston(e)y Canyon, Taylors' home in 1972 and 1973.

Mathijs

"Winter" has echoes of "Blood Red Wine," and Mick Taylor certainly had nothing to do with those lyrics.
March 21st, 2005 05:28 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

Totally disagree Mathijs. I'm sure Jagger wrote both these songs (he plays rythmn guitar on both) but obviously collaborated with MT on them. And as far as lyrics, I'm sure they're Jagger's. Stone Canyon is in the Hollywood Hills and is where a lot of rock stars stayed in the 60's & 70's (the Stones stayed up there during the mixing & promotion of Exile).

And I always assumed that Sway was about Gram Parsons.

I hear stuff about Gram in Sway, too, doode, and in fact was going to say so in my post, but decided that since Gram died in '73 and was still very much alive when it was recorded, it seems that that's just a little bit of circular time coming back to haunt.

I do agree that these lyrics seem totally Mick J, though. No way did Taylor write those words.

It just occurred to me that "Sway" was involved in the very first time I ever kicked somebody out of a record store I was working in for being an idiot. This obnoxious know it all singer/songwriter was browsing the store (back before I owned it) and I was playing Sticky Fingers. Sway was playing and this guy said to me, "You know, it sounds like the only person drunker than the band on this recording was the engineer." He proceeded to go off on how bad the Rolling Stones always were and how their albums only ever sold on image and reputation. I'd suffered this fool in the past, but this time I just looked at him and said, "Get the fuck out. You write the worst songs in the world and wouldn't know good rock and roll if it bit your head off." Then I turned it up. He left and I proceeded to enjoy the rest of Sticky Fingers in happy peace. Very empowering moment.

Thanks, Sway!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
March 21st, 2005 06:16 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I hear stuff about Gram in Sway, too, doode, and in fact was going to say so in my post, but decided that since Gram died in '73 and was still very much alive when it was recorded, it seems that that's just a little bit of circular time coming back to haunt.

Good point Nasty, I guess that line about "friends out on the burial ground" always conjured up images of Gram. Re-reading the lyrics though makes me think that perhaps the song was written about Brian. who knows?
March 21st, 2005 06:20 PM
Back Street Girl SWAY.......Needs to be left alone.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood