ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Two concert questions Return to archive
March 20th, 2005 10:55 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies Question #1

I recently acquired the Toronto concert DVD with AC/DC and the Stones. The show looks much more exciting than any show on Four Flicks. The Toronto concert is also festival seating, neither of the big venue concerts on Four Flicks are. Is this a coincidence? Or is it just different video editing that makes the show seem more exciting? The shows recorded on Live at the Max are festival seating and much more exciting than the show at Alantic City which is not festival seating. Why don't the Stones do real rock concerts anymore with festival seating? This seems to make for a much better show. The die hard fans fight their way to the front and the band seems to feed off the higher energy. I think the '81 tour was the last tour with all festival seating. It was also the last tour where the band played as a cohesive rock n roll unit. It was the last time they left the mistakes in. It was the last REAL rock tour they did. What's up with the current tightly serried ranks of chairs in the infield these days? It looks more like a Nazi rally than a rock concert. Is this a safety issue? An insurance issue? Federal/State law? I want my rock concerts wild down front. Those fans who don't want to be part of the madness down front can buy a seat in the stands.

Question #2

Why do the Stones feel they can only start their shows after dark? On the Toronto DVD AC/DC puts on a hell of a show during the daylight hours, works the crowd into a frenzy. They do the same on the Donnington DVD. The best filmed concert of the Stones in my opinion is the first half of lets spend the night together, during daylight hours. Starting the show while it is still daylight makes for a whole different vibe than starting after dark. Limiting themselves to only playing after dark limits the tours to starting late in the year when the days are shorter. Shorter days means colder nights, which makes for a different vibe. I want my rock shows started in the late sultry heat of a hot summer evening in July or August. Again, this creates an entirely different vibe than shivering after dark on Thanksgiving eve. With today's technology they can still do their big screens and lights to pretty good effect in the late evening when the Sun is low in the sky.

Does anyone else ponder these issues?
[Edited by LuckyWithTheLadies]
March 20th, 2005 08:36 PM
Soldatti About the question 2 the Stones did concerts with daylight on Germany if I remember well, maybe others shows too.
March 20th, 2005 09:37 PM
Angiegirl Sure, sultry heat is fine when you got pre-arranged seats and as a result don't have to wait in queue all day (for those who want to be in the front)...
March 20th, 2005 09:57 PM
Make It Funky Mistakes??? Go out and buy Live Licks mate! Second disc, track one. Get back to me on it. *OUCH*
March 20th, 2005 10:08 PM
Make It Funky Yes, I pondered these thoughts twenty years ago dude. haha

Having been to the Toronto Rocks gig, it was all circumstantial. IN the brief time they had, there was no way that there could have been enough time to round up 497,266 chairs to seated concert-goers. The SARS STOCK was infact a festival, open-air.. at the old Downsview Airport on the tarmac. Flat land.

I also think that time has alot to do with it. They have noise laws in effect.. (that the Stones usually break anyways, with hefty fines).. but I think its legally binding in their contract to wrap up their gig by 11pm. Think of 20,000 or 500,000 people all tryign to get home, after midnight??? NO way.. I personally have been stranded at Wembley Stadium for being last one out... its not fun.

And the funny thign is... the earlier you get there, the better chance you have of getting to party up front... (which is so much work.. yet so much fun! You ARE a part of the living, breathign concert!!) Like Leon Russell said, "if you put on a show for me, I'll put on a show for you" and its so true... However... its like being at the back of an airplane... you're the first to get in.. but last to get off.. (or out).. so those down front, who had the best time, have had the hardest go.. baking out in the summer sun.. getting hemorhoids sitting on the concrete steps at Wembley (or where-ever) and then you have to wait.. last one to get on the transit system, (if its still running by that time).

So I think the dusk argument, or sundown debate is reasonble, if there were no transit problems, or issues with people who no car and need a way out of there. There are always more issues concerned than mere stage aesthetics!!!

Preferably? I just like waiting it out for the club shows. Less people. Less bullshit. Better Sound. Easier to get out.

Cheers,
- Not as lucky with the Ladies...
March 21st, 2005 12:25 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies I really need to use a different name on here. It seems to bring out antagonism in others for some reason. No, I do not think I am Lucky with Ladies. This is not some kind of macho bragidocio (I don't brag about my spelling abilities either). The line is taken from a song that I liked from Mick Jagger's first solo effort. Please stop throwing things at me now.

You are right about mistakes. They still make many of them. I didn't express myself well. What I mean is there is a conscious attempt on the band's part to play perfect album versions of their songs when they play live, instead of getting something together that can be played live and than playing the damm thing with the rough edges still on it. We don't get those great "reworked" versions like YCAGWYW on Love You Live or Love in Vain on Ya Yas. Instead we get Keith struggling on Four Flicks to get the intro to Stray Cat Blues just like it is on the album instead of letting it rip like on Ya Yas. Also we don't get any more out of tune quitars as on Exile. Or the stray cymbal crash at the beginning of Start Me Up. But you are right about mistakes. Everything Ronnie has played since about 1975 - well, better make that '81 - has been a mistake. Hate to keep bringing up '81, but it seems to be a water shed year in the history of the Stones. It marked the end of a rock n roll era. It ushered in the era of classic rock. And their next tour was the beginning of slick vegas style productions, which all other big performers copied - from Madonna to U2.

As regards noise laws. I fail to see how starting a show earlier in the evening will generate more fines. I can speak only of America. I think the noise problems are only an issue in the UK. No doubt that is true of the tranportation issues as well. I dont see how starting a show earlier is going to make a difference one way or the other in America. We be Americans we no use public transportation. And the whole point of the waiting in queues to get in and out of the down front stage area is what makes the show better. Only those blokes who are really fanatics about getting to the front of the crowd will be there and they are the ones who bring the craziness to the show. As Mick says in Performance, "The only performance that really makes it, that makes it all the way, is the performance that achieves total madness." Or something like that. It's been years since I've seen that movie. And even more years since I've seen a Stone's show that even came close to achieving total madness. Mick drop kicking his plastic mineralwasser bottle while on the B stage is hardly madness.

So #1, why don't the Stones do shows with open seating in America any more?

and #2, why don't the Stones do summer concert tours in American anymore?

You blokes in Britian and you Burghers in Deutschland are lucky, you apparently get open seating and daylight shows. We haven't had any in America in quit some time - not since '81 that I know of. I don't think that it is a coincedence that the best shows come out of Europe this days. But come to think of it, it may have always been that way. '73 in Europe produced a better boot than '72 in the USA. 76 in Paris produced better live material than '75 in the USA. 1990 produced better shows than 1989 States side.
March 21st, 2005 12:53 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:

There are always more issues concerned than mere stage aesthetics!!!

I couldn't disaggre more. I think stage aesthetics is about the only thing that Mick Jagger is concerned about. And probably rightfully so, he didn't become Mick Jagger by chance. And I don't think Mick, Keith, Charlie, or Ronnie give a righteous damn about how hard of a time the fans have getting to and from the concert. I think that that has zero influence on when they chose the start their shows. The local officials may feel differently and limit the start and stop times. The bottom line is the lads no longer feel the music is enough to hold the crowd. They have to come on after dark so they can wow the people with pryotechnics. And I think (and what do I know about putting on huge concerts?) that now-a-days the pryo could be made to work during daylight. And as the night became darker the pryo would become more awe inspiring, helping to build the show's climax.
March 21st, 2005 12:53 AM
corgi37 I would say insurance costs mean festival seating is increasingly being phased out at organised events. Like 1 off shows. A thing like SARSTOCk was different. Too many people. Cant expect people to sit on a chair for 10 + hours. Remember the Who gig in Cincinatti?

Here i Oz, no one does day shows anymore. Lighting and video systems are too expensive to lug around, to just not use them? Makes no frigging sense. Sure, when we have short festivals or something (like our recent Melbourne thingy that had the Doors and Blondie STARTED in the daylight, but that was the crap bands. The headliners get to use all the equipment. Support people NEVER use the whole sound/lighting system.

I guess Europe may be different, but really, with the big shows, and the big bucks people pay, i assume a fucking seat is a right!!! hahaha.

You can imagine the old goats going to the next Stones tour having to stand for 5 hours!!
March 21st, 2005 02:14 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies AC/DC is using video at SARS and at Donnington during the daylight and the screens look good - at least on video. I don't know what it looked like actually being there. This is not at high noon but in the early evening. I think this could be done. Technology now allows for very bright screens and the screens can be placed recessed enough to be in the shadows.

I am not saying all seats should be open, only the field. The others can pay their big bucks to park their big asses.

The Who in OH was a unique situation. Fatal mistakes where made. The doors should have been opened long before any music was played. Banning open seating for that reason is like banning buses cause one time someone crossing a street got hit by a one.
March 21st, 2005 04:38 AM
Gazza >I really need to use a different name on here. It seems to bring out antagonism in others for some reason

I can't see how you possibly get that idea.

>So #1, why don't the Stones do shows with open seating in America any more?

as far as I know, "festival seating" was banned in the US for concerts after the Who incident. I dont think thats the case now, however, it might vary state by state but if its been rescinded its relatively recently. The first time Springsteen ever sold tickets for standing areas for example was on his 2002 tour.

Main reason for the Stones not using it is because their audience is too old and they can get away with charging (and getting) $300 for them to have floor seats.

>and #2, why don't the Stones do summer concert tours in American anymore?

because unlike any other market, the Stones can play outdoor shows in the US in the fall or even winter in some cases. You cant play stadiums in Europe at any time apart from the summer due to the weather and the non-availability of football stadiums.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 21st, 2005 08:41 AM
corgi37 So, i was sorta right?

Fancy that!
March 21st, 2005 09:07 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies The Who incident was '78 wasn't it? The Stones sold open seating on the field in '81 didn't they? And the Who themselves sold open field seating on their early 80s tour didn't they? I'm puttin my money on it always has been legal. Local venue owners may fear law suits and possibly charge the performers more to do it. I think the point made that the Stones can increase their profits by selling the $300 dollar floor tickets is the real answer. Every decision they've made since '78 has been "how do we increase the profits?"

Why are European stadiums available only in the summer? And what does the lack of large stadiums in Europe have to with WHEN they tour? If there is a lack of large European venues, then there is a lack of large European venues all year long, not? Furthermore, I question the lack of stadiums in Europe. I aint ever been there. But Football (what we call soccer) is bigger in Europe than in a America. And I'm thinking the venues with the largest seating compasity are probably not in the US but other parts of the world.

Yes, it is technically feasible to do stadium concerts in the US during the winter time. There is the warmer south and the domes. My point is the cold wheather puts a damper on the festivities. Summer time creates a different vibe, an atmosphere more condusive to partying. I don't know anything about booking stadiums. But it would seem that there would be more open dates in the summer than fall, with football season starting up.
March 21st, 2005 09:16 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies So #1, why don't the Stones do shows with open seating in America any more?

Cause they can make more money selling assigned seating.

and #2, why don't the Stones do summer concert tours in American anymore?

Cause they always release new studio albums in time for holiday sells. And to increase holiday sells they have to go on tour immediately. So there you have it. Fall and early winter tours.
March 21st, 2005 10:17 AM
Gazza [quote]LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
The Who incident was '78 wasn't it?

December 1979

>The Stones sold open seating on the field in '81 didn't they? And the Who themselves sold open field seating on their early 80s tour didn't they? I'm puttin my money on it always has been legal.

The Stones did anyway. I dont know about the Who, although from '79 and their reunion tour in '89 their only major US tour was 1982 which was mostly stadiums. I was assuming you meant arenas though. Since '89, the Stones have had seats on the pitch at stadium shows in America. They never did in Europe, apart from a few shows in 2003, because they were told they wouldnt get the stadium otherwise (this was the case for Twickenham, not sure if it applied at any other shows)

> I think the point made that the Stones can increase their profits by selling the $300 dollar floor tickets is the real answer. Every decision they've made since '78 has been "how do we increase the profits?"

correct. Especially since 1998.

>Why are European stadiums available only in the summer?

because they're needed for football from August/September to May/June (the dates vary slightly from country to country, although in some northern countries such as those in Scandinavia, the football season runs throughout the summer because the winters are too severe even for football)

> And what does the lack of large stadiums in Europe have to with WHEN they tour?

because they can ONLY play stadiums in Europe in a small time frame. (see above). Thats not the case in North America. Basically you could play stadiums somewhere in America in any month of the year.

>If there is a lack of large European venues, then there is a lack of large European venues all year long, not?

er..no. The stadiums arent going to be available for about 9 months of the average year. Simple. For example, NFL teams play on average 8 home games a season over a period of 4 months. A football stadium could be used anything upwards of 3 times that number in a season for games alone.

>Furthermore, I question the lack of stadiums in Europe. I aint ever been there. But Football (what we call soccer) is bigger in Europe than in a America.

its bigger everywhere than in America!

> And I'm thinking the venues with the largest seating compasity are probably not in the US but other parts of the world.

correct. Spain alone has two football stadiums that seat over 100,000. Many countries in Asia and Latin America would also have stadiums that would hold more than the biggest US stadiums.

>Yes, it is technically feasible to do stadium concerts in the US during the winter time. There is the warmer south and the domes. My point is the cold wheather puts a damper on the festivities. Summer time creates a different vibe, an atmosphere more condusive to partying. I don't know anything about booking stadiums. But it would seem that there would be more open dates in the summer than fall, with football season starting up.

but on the last tour of the US many of the shows were in baseball stadiums, which has a different 'season' and where the stadiums are likely to be available for longer stretches of time. If they're planning a world tour lasting a year or so, they simply cant or shouldnt base it around when it suits a "vibe" to play summer shows in America. You wont get a licence to play football stadiums in Europe in winter, autumn and spring. End of story. Unless they spread the tour out to play one summer in the US and the following summer in Europe (eg 1994 - 1995 where the US leg started on 1st August)

[Edited by Gazza]
March 21st, 2005 10:31 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies
quote:
Gazza wrote:
[quote]LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
The Who incident was '78 wasn't it?

December 1979

>The Stones sold open seating on the field in '81 didn't they? And the Who themselves sold open field seating on their early 80s tour didn't they? I'm puttin my money on it always has been legal.

The Stones did anyway. I dont know about the Who, although from '79 and their reunion tour in '89 their only major US tour was 1982

[1982 IS early 80s. That was indeed the tour of which i was speaking. I am aware that the Who did not tour after their EARLY 80s Farewell Tour until their reunion, which was oddly very close to the same time as the Stone's very successful and very financially rewarding "reunion". hmmmm]

which was mostly stadiums. I was assuming you meant arenas though.

[No I was talking about stadiums, although the same goes for areanas. Open seating is open seating in either venue.]

Since '89, the Stones have had seats on the pitch at stadium shows in America.

[Not sure what you mean by "on the pitch." I was to one '89 show and three Voodoo shows. They all had seats on the field, but they weren't on a pitch. When you say "pitch" are you talking about the field or the stands or the back of the field with in some stadiums is on a pitch? Pardon my ignorance.]

They never did in Europe, apart from a few shows in 2003, because they were told they wouldnt get the stadium otherwise (this was the case for Twickenham, not sure if it applied at any other shows)

[Interesting info.]

> I think the point made that the Stones can increase their profits by selling the $300 dollar floor tickets is the real answer. Every decision they've made since '78 has been "how do we increase the profits?"

correct. Especially since 1998.

[A sad situation.]

>Why are European stadiums available only in the summer?

because they're needed for football from August/September to May/June (the dates vary slightly from country to country, although in some northern countries such as those in Scandinavia, the football season runs throughout the summer because the winters are too severe even for football)

> And what does the lack of large stadiums in Europe have to with WHEN they tour?

[The former post implied that only America had a network of football stadiums and that that was why European shows are festival. My point was that if there is indeed a lack of stadiums on the continent than there is a lack all year long and this would not effect WHEN tours can be planned.]

because they can ONLY play stadiums in Europe in a small time frame. (see above). Thats not the case in North America. Basically you could play stadiums somewhere in America in any month of the year.

>If there is a lack of large European venues, then there is a lack of large European venues all year long, not?

[see above]

er..no. The stadiums arent going to be available for about 9 months of the average year. Simple. For example, NFL teams play on average 8 home games a season over a period of 4 months. A football stadium could be used anything upwards of 3 times that number in a season for games alone.

[I think in that last sentence you are refering to European football and not American? Sports stars earn their money in the rest of the world. American football stars are an embarrassment. See below.]

>Furthermore, I question the lack of stadiums in Europe. I aint ever been there. But Football (what we call soccer) is bigger in Europe than in a America.

its bigger everywhere than in America!

[And for good reason. American football is an embarrassment. Rugby with padding! har har har har]

> And I'm thinking the venues with the largest seating compasity are probably not in the US but other parts of the world.

correct. Spain alone has two football stadiums that seat over 100,000. Many countries in Asia and Latin America would also have stadiums that would hold more than the biggest US stadiums.

[Why do we Americans always think America is the biggest and greatest? Well, usually it is. har har]

>Yes, it is technically feasible to do stadium concerts in the US during the winter time. There is the warmer south and the domes. My point is the cold wheather puts a damper on the festivities. Summer time creates a different vibe, an atmosphere more condusive to partying. I don't know anything about booking stadiums. But it would seem that there would be more open dates in the summer than fall, with football season starting up.

but on the last tour of the US many of the shows were in baseball stadiums, which has a different 'season' and where the stadiums are likely to be available for longer stretches of time. If they're planning a world tour lasting a year or so, they simply cant or shouldnt base it around when it suits a "vibe" to play summer shows in America.

[I completely and utterly disagree. I think the "vibe" should be what EVERYTHING about the tour is based on. If they are not creating a good vibe and hence a good concert, when the heck are they touring for? Big pay checks? Count me out.]

You wont get a licence to play football stadiums in Europe in winter, autumn and spring. End of story. Unless they spread the tour out to play one summer in the US and the following summer in Europe (eg 1994 - 1995 where the US leg started on 1st August)

[Sounds like a good plan to me.]

[Edited by Gazza]

March 22nd, 2005 12:12 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies `
March 22nd, 2005 06:03 AM
corgi37 Why dont they just play Caesar's Palace for 3 years and be done with it.

Or, they could play the R.S.L. clubs here in Oz.

Cheap beer, a good feed, footy on the tele and Keno games every 5 minutes.

Might even win a chook in the raffle!
March 22nd, 2005 06:07 AM
Dutch Michael D. i dont think this was a good stones show, it didn't have the stones feeling to it, the only part that i liked was wehen keith got angry on some stupid drunk man that was throwing bottles at Justin Timberlake during miss you
March 22nd, 2005 06:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Cheap beer, a good feed, footy on the tele and Keno games every 5 minutes.

they could read Rocks Off. We get Keno games every few months! (sorry, couldnt resist it! :-) )
March 22nd, 2005 12:46 PM
Monkeytonkman The Stones didn't do away with festival seating in Europe when they played the Stadiums to my knowledge. except in the UK - which invariably follows the USA in everything it does eventually - we are culturally speaking about 10-15 years behind them in many respects and follow their lead in many of these issues.

Up till the licks tour, we could still go and see the boys in the UK and go where the hell we wanted. That's still happening in europe, at least it was for the licks gigs that I saw.

People are right though, a lot of peole who go a watch the Stones a old farts - in spirit, and they like to have a nice seat, while drinking their bottled water and eating their cucumber sandwhiches with the crusts cut off! they don't have the same appeal of a lot of bands that still have a standing area at the front for those that still wanna ROCK!

Went to see Judas Priest this weekend at Birmingham NEC - with standing at the front, me and my mate worked our way to the front - rocked like mother fuckers and went crowd surfing. awesome - can't see that happening at the next Stones concert I go to!
March 22nd, 2005 07:29 PM
Stray Cat UK I attended both Glasgow Licks shows .

Ist night crushed against walkway to B stage - un believable, talk about hot n' sweaty !

2nd night with the kids (to avoid crush) next to mixing desk - Brilliant.

even though I paid a lot more for good seats at other venues and got even closer , these for me were the highlights of the tour.

IMHO the floor should always be standing !

sc uk
March 22nd, 2005 07:32 PM
Stray Cat UK BTW , did anyone here get into the "golden circle" for the last Wembley gigs in 1999 - the best £40 EVER spent.

sc uk
March 22nd, 2005 07:49 PM
Gazza Monkeytonkman

One of the conditions for the Stones getting the use of Twickenham was the RFU stipulated that there HAD to be seats on the pitch, as they didnt want it being damaged. Had it been at practically any other stadium, I'm sure that area would have been all standing

I dont think seating on the pitch in Europe will EVER be the norm for concerts - not unless theres some major disaster happens first with scores of people being crushed to death or something.

SCUK

I was at the b-stage the first night in Glasgow too. Couldnt believe how easy it was to walk in about an hour before showtime and get a place right on the barrier on Keith's side. You were probably not too far from me! The only other time I've spent a show at the b-stage was at the Stade de France in 1998. It wasnt pleasant. Stood for ten hours on a pitch so overfilled beyond capacity that it was physically impossible to sit down at any time. Could barely walk afterwards and when the band appeared on the b-stage the mayhem was genuinely dangerous. It was amazing to see them so close for those 15 magical minutes but I doubt I'd do that in a standing area again. Its crazy enough when youre standing in a stadium and the crowd surges forward during the first song, but at a b-stage everyone is trying to get into a much smaller area and it's completely wild

The SECC in Glasgow is such a shitty venue that the ONLY place to watch a show is on the floor. The seats at the side are simply too far away and the sightlines so piss poor that you may as well not be there. The last two times I've been there (2nd Stones show in 2003 and Dylan last June) I ended up 'sneaking' onto the floor despite having seats at the side because I could barely see what was happening onstage

I wasnt in the Golden Circle at wembley '99 but I was at the last VL show in Rotterdam in '95 and it was fantastic. It's a great idea and a good reward for those who get there very early
[Edited by Gazza]
March 23rd, 2005 05:58 AM
Stray Cat UK I didn't know about Twickenham seating arrangement.

I paid £260 (from an agency) for 6th row seat and although it was a great night , right in front of Keith , the sound was crap.

On ,say SMU ,Keith would play the opening riff,then the band would come in and turn it to "mush".
Maybe not so good being close.

I agree about SECC seating .We where stood in front of people in the £150 seats .

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N'BANKROLL !
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood