ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: death by misadventure Return to archive
March 20th, 2005 08:14 AM
JOHNNYSTONED one of the best songs and comments on the death of brian jones came suprisingly from ted nugent..lyrics are very good and the music is excellent...check it out if you are unaware..............
March 20th, 2005 12:05 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
JOHNNYSTONED wrote:
one of the best songs and comments on the death of brian jones came suprisingly from ted nugent..lyrics are very good and the music is excellent...check it out if you are unaware..............

One of the best compared to what?

How do you know its about Jones? Please post lyrics if you have them.

Ted Nugent was once involved in the formation of a 1980s "supergroup" that included a former member of Styx and a former member of Night Ranger. That really happened. In America. Some people actually bought their output too. I'm not lying. You can't make this stuff up.
March 20th, 2005 12:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Oh fuck...Ted's cool...just sorely misunderstood thats all.
March 20th, 2005 01:11 PM
Taptrick
Having a hard time finding the lyrics. this is from memory:

He didn't believe in daytime
He didn't believe in night...
No one understood him
They just left him alone...
Death By Misadventure!

Let me go listen to the song.
March 20th, 2005 01:41 PM
Taptrick Having not heard the song in some 20 years I was surprised to see how close I was at the lyrics. Following is close as I could come, some of what I believe are Derek St. Holmes vocals, are difficult to make out:

You heard him on the radio
You seen him on the news
You see him on the tv
You heard him sing the blues
Welcome to this nightmare
He’s been through the mill
Death by Misadventure
The ace of overkill

He stayed awake to daylight
He didn’t believe in hell
He never saw the sun rise
He didn’t believe in wealth
He ?
He was a rolling stone
No one understood him
They just left him alone

You heard him on the radio
You seen him on the news
You see him on the tv
You heard him sing the blues
Welcome to this nightmare
He’s been through the mill
Death by Misadventure
The ace of overkill

Death by misadventure!
Death by misadventure!
Death by misadventure!

Obviously the line about "he's a rolling stone" and the title is where the original poster got the Brian Jones tie-in. My search showed about four threads on various boards where there was discussion about this being about about Brian. I also found one saying it was about Alice Cooper which doesn't make sense to me since he isn't dead.

I know Ted has A LOT of haters out there. I always liked the mid 70s albums though. I love the song Writing On The Wall with Meatloaf doing vocals. And please if you are going to trash that combination please listen to it first and give me an open-mided critique of the song along with it. Death By Misadventure has a cool solo in it that builds off a rhythm pattern in an interesting way.

[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
March 20th, 2005 01:58 PM
kath well, i can't stand ted nugent, but those lyrics are very "brian"...
March 20th, 2005 02:13 PM
sirmoonie Thanks, Tapie. That does look like an ode to Jones.

The Alice Cooper belief may stem from the "This is his nightmare" line.
March 20th, 2005 03:24 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Ted Nugent was once involved in the formation of a 1980s "supergroup" that included a former member of Styx and a former member of Night Ranger. That really happened. In America. Some people actually bought their output too. I'm not lying. You can't make this stuff up.

night ranger? or dream theater? or something like that - i remember they were one of the many big-hair videos i used to flip away from when i was a teenager checking mtv. i seem to remember one of those horrid power ballads coming from them, but i dont have any more specifics...

but you gotta give ted props for coining the phrase "poon tang." that will be in the lexicon for ever.
March 20th, 2005 03:41 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

night ranger? or dream theater? or something like that - i remember they were one of the many big-hair videos i used to flip away from when i was a teenager checking mtv. i seem to remember one of those horrid power ballads coming from them, but i dont have any more specifics...

but you gotta give ted props for coining the phrase "poon tang." that will be in the lexicon for ever.

I don't know the etymology of poontang, but you are giving this Nooge geek WAY too much credit in originality. At a minimum, black funk groups in the early 70s, like the Undisputed Truth who even had a song entitled as such, were using the word regularly.

The power ballad he inflicted upon us was called "Let Me Take You High Enough" or something similar. I don't think its possible to get high enough to actually listen to Nugent, and if he actually partied he might have a clue on that score.
[Edited by sirmoonie]
March 20th, 2005 03:44 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I don't know the entymology of poontang, but you are giving this Nooge geek WAY too much credit in originality. At a minimum, black funk groups in the early 70s, like the Undisputed Truth who even had a song entitled as such, were using the word regularly.

point taken.

March 21st, 2005 05:28 AM
Zack poon·tang ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pntng) n.

Vulgar Slang. Sexual intercourse with a woman.
Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a woman.

------------------------------------------------------------[Perhaps from French putain, prostitute, from Old French, from pute, feminine of put, foul, stinking, from Latin ptidus, from ptre, to be rotten, stink. See p- in Indo-European Roots.]

source: dictionary.com

Good Morning Vietnam: "I'm stationed down in Poon Tang."
March 21st, 2005 03:12 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
...some of what I believe are Derek St. Holmes vocals, are difficult to make out:

He was my favorite member of Spinal Tap!

Why are we having this conversation, anyway? Ted Nugent did NOT invent poontang.

GOD invented poontang.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood