ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young honored by ASCAP (NSC) Return to archive
March 19th, 2005 08:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Neil Young will be honored by ASCAP at 22nd Annual Pop Music Awards on May 16th in Los Angeles

ASCAP has announced today that it will honor Neil Young with the prestigious ASCAP Founders Award during the 22nd Annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards gala. The invitation-only awards dinner will take place on May 16th at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, California. The event will also honor the songwriters and publishers of ASCAP's most performed songs of 2004.

The ASCAP Founders Award is one of the most distinguished honors that the Society bestows, paying tribute to pioneering songwriters who have made exceptional contributions to music. Neil Young joins this select group of songwriters and composers which includes Elvis Costello, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Paul McCartney, Tom Waits, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach & Hal David, Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller, and Stevie Wonder, to name a few.

With nearly fifty albums to his credit, Neil Young has proved to be one of the most prominent and influential artists of his time. Throughout his career, Neil Young has touched on many different genres of music and vocal styles. From folk and country to rock, from his days with Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and throughout his solo career and his many collaborations, Young has delivered his prolific songwriting talents and unique sound to decades of discerning music listeners. He continues to be a major voice and influence in music today.

A 1995 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, Neil Young has been writing, recording and performing songs for more than 30 years creating such hits as "Heart of Gold," "Cinnamon Girl," "Hey Hey, My My," "Ohio," "Down by the River," "Harvest Moon" and "Rockin in the Free World."

"Neil's music has sent powerful messages to generations and his work is as meaningful today as it was when his career began in the '60's," quotes ASCAP President & Chairman, Marilyn Bergman. "How proud we are to celebrate Neil Young's career at our Pop Music Awards gala by presenting him with the ASCAP Founders Award."

The 2005 Pop Music Awards will also honor the songwriters and publishers of ASCAP's most performed songs of 2004. Special awards will be given to "Songwriter of the Year," "Song of the Year," "Publisher of the Year" in addition to the presentation of the "College Vanguard Award," which recognizes the impact of new and developing musical genres that help shape the future of American music and which gain early popularity on college radio.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
March 19th, 2005 10:21 PM
Prodigal Son Alright, Neil! Getting recognized with this award proves that charts and hit songs aren't everything. Great list of songwriters he joins too! Except for that ultra-whimpy simp James Taylor how did he get in there? Hmmm, let's see what he's done of merit; "Fire and Rain," "Steamroller,"
"Carolina in My Mind." Not much else he's done can save me from cringing ("You've Got a Friend" is done way better by Carole King).
March 20th, 2005 06:27 PM
kath love neil young. for that matter, i love james taylor too. ever seen him live? he's great!!!
March 21st, 2005 01:34 PM
Jair
quote:
kath wrote:
love neil young. for that matter, i love james taylor too. ever seen him live? he's great!!!

One of my dreams is to see Neil Young live, he is my second fave artist. He played just once in Brasil (in Rio de Janeiro) and I missed it.

I've seen James Taylor in October 24, 1986 down here in Porto Alegre city. Nice show.
[Edited by Jair]
March 21st, 2005 02:36 PM
kath james taylor puts on a damn good show. he has a great time on stage and he makes sure everybody in the audience has fun too. i really like him a lot, especially live.

alas, i went to see neil young once in portland and he was a no show.

my favorite neil song? "ten men workin'"!!! such a great rocker!!
March 21st, 2005 03:28 PM
Jair I love all that album This Note's For you.
March 21st, 2005 04:12 PM
kath really an underrated album, imho!
March 23rd, 2005 11:29 AM
69 Chevy Neil Rocks! I caught him last time in Houston and he still kicks ass. One of the best sloppy guitarist I have ever seen! The Greendale show was hilarious! He played a Clear Channel controlled venue and had one of the performers hold up a sign that read "Stop Clear Channel". He also blew off the curfew!
March 23rd, 2005 11:45 AM
glencar He kicked ass the other night on that R&R HOF induction show. He played with the Pretenders on "My City Was Gone."
March 23rd, 2005 12:18 PM
Jair ...And he made "Freedom", one of the best albuns in the whole history of the music. Those guitar solos are something crazy!!!
March 23rd, 2005 04:56 PM
Prodigal Son In Eldorado, the money hits the table!!!
Good lord, that one song "Don't Cry" is so paranoid-sounding with all the mega distorted power chords, insane soloing (not because it's played well but that's the magic of Neil) and creepy sound effects. Eldorado, will they ever released this EP on CD? That and Time Fades Away and I'll be satisfied.
March 24th, 2005 05:56 AM
MRD8 I recently got an AMAZING quality proshot screen feed from his 7-3-03 Philly Greendale show...it KICKS ASS!!! I might put it up on here for a B&P one of these days...just to get you salivating here's the setlist:
Falling From Above Double E Devil's Sidewalk Leave The Driving Carmichael Bandit [solo acoustic guitar] Grandpa's Interview Bringin' Down Dinner [pump organ] Sun Green Be The Rain
1st Encore Hey Hey My My (Into The Black) Sedan Delivery Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll Powderfinger
2nd Encore Cinnamon Girl Fuckin' Up
March 24th, 2005 07:53 AM
Jair
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
(...)Eldorado, will they ever released this EP on CD? That and Time Fades Away and I'll be satisfied.

Prodigal Son,
They already issued that EP on CD format. I got an Japanese edition of "Eldorado", with two tracks that aren't on Freedom.
Let me know if you want a copy in CDR.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood