ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Urban Landscape - Acapulco at night April 2005
© 2035 Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Need info/help on The Stones and their "bad-boy image".....from Ian Return to archive
March 12th, 2005 06:29 PM
IanBillen Does anyone have a an article stating how the Stones were the first so called "bad-boy group"? I told my friend that and he thinks I am bias towards The Stones. I told him, as a band the Stones were the original bad boys and started that whole bad-boy type image from a groups perspective. He told me he wants proof because he told me " and I'll quote "that's complete bullshit and I just say that because I dig the Stones". This happened a few months ago and I just said screw it but he jokes with me about it so I want to show him there is truth to what I say. I figured you folks are the definately the group to ask for any info. Sure, I "googled" it and came up with a few things but I was actally looking for something a little better.

Any links or anything?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the read,

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 12th, 2005 07:53 PM
Gazza as a group? I think its a no-brainer

The Beatles were obviously around before the Stones and were pretty wild in their early days in Hamburg, but they werent marketed as such

The Stones were the first band to be actually MARKETED as anything less than clean cut and wholesome. Thats the key. They were the first band who refused to wear matching uniforms on stage and TV. Andrew Oldham would go to newspaper editors and collaborate with them on stories aimed primarily at making them look as a threat to civilization and decency (eg "would you let your daughter go with a Rolling Stone?"). When the Beatles were playing Command Performances for the Queen and getting the MBE from the government, the Stones were getting arrested for pissing in public and being accused of not bathing.

They were far from the first musicians to scandalise the public, but were certainly the first group to do so, to any wide degree. Any artist before them who was seen as some kind of serious threat to society or who got in trouble with the law, did so more by accident than design. I dont believe there was any artist prior to the Stones who had that image consciously and deliberately TAILORED for the sake of publicity
March 12th, 2005 07:56 PM
glencar Why bother? This guy won't listen anyway. You need no friends, IanBillen but I ain't putting myself forward or anything. You're too weird for me, quite frankly.
March 12th, 2005 08:02 PM
Gazza did you mean to say he needs "new friends" ?
March 12th, 2005 08:11 PM
MrPleasant Like Gazza said: it was an MKT thing. (Lucky for us, the boys turned out to be geniuses.) A pioneering move inspired by Anthony Burgess.

Ian, try reading some interviews with Andrew Loog Oldham:

http://www.andrewloogoldham.com/aloint.html
[Edited by MrPleasant]
March 12th, 2005 09:03 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
He told me he wants proof because he told me and I'll quote "that's complete bullshit and I [sic - "you"] just say that because I [sic - "you"] dig the Stones". This happened a few months ago and I just said screw it but he jokes with me about it so I want to show him there is truth to what I say.

How do you "prove" something like that?

Tell him I fucking said the Stones were the first bad boys. If that doesn't do it for him, tell him I think his socks are ugly and make him look like one of them "homos" you hear so much about these days.
March 12th, 2005 11:51 PM
IanBillen
Gazza:
You're right. That is why I strictly stipulated "group/Band" to him.

Glencar:
You're a sweetheart. I love you. I really, really do.

Sirmoonie:
Your post was halarious!

Ian
March 13th, 2005 05:33 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

[...]

Sirmoonie:
Your post was halarious!

Ian

Moonie masters good-posting. One of my TOP 5 ROers
March 21st, 2005 10:30 PM
wgwalsh Back in the early days, with Brian, they stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. The station operator would not let the long hair boys use the facility, so they urinated on the outside wall. Legendary story !!! Surprised that you missed it. The story did add an element to the bad boy image.
March 22nd, 2005 01:26 AM
IanBillen
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
Back in the early days, with Brian, they stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. The station operator would not let the long hair boys use the facility, so they urinated on the outside wall. Legendary story !!! Surprised that you missed it. The story did add an element to the bad boy image.

Ahhh yes. I have heard of that. Charges were filed and everything. Very good input as usual Mr. Wgwalsh.

Ian
March 22nd, 2005 07:24 AM
Cocaine Eyes Wasn't the bad boy image all orchestrated by Andrew Loog Oldham? This question is too easy.
March 22nd, 2005 07:46 AM
Gazza To a degree, but then again they were hardly wide eyed innocents, Brian especially

and I dont think even Andrew could have dreamed up the Urination Bust. When you gotta go, you gotta go. I'm proud to have their "taunt" from that incident as my signature line....
March 24th, 2005 11:04 PM
HellsRollingThunder I was 14 when the Rolling Stones first came out and I discovered
them. When they stopped and needed to go to the bathroom,
and were denied, and went anyway the attendant screamed at
them don't step on my fore court and Brian Jones started dancing
around screaming"Don't step on my foreskin, don't step on my foreskin!' and it was absolutely hysterical!!

The Stones did not conform to what any of the other rock bands of
that time did. Rarely dressed like the others, and talked the way
the wanted to, and did what they wanted to, and were always very
controversial. But they were always a lot of fun. What no one knew was the Beatles were the same way it just never got out
because the Beatles had projected an entirely different image.
Wild Bill Wyman's books will answer pretty much of what the
Stones were like.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood