ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Canadian National Institute For The Blind Benefit Concerts.
Oshawa, Civic Auditorium, Canada - April 22, 1979
By Neal Preston
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HEADER PIC! Return to archive
03-28-03 01:27 PM
Highwire Rob Thanks Voodoo for posting this pic of young Mick!

Months ago I had this picture in mind when I was trying to recall some film/commercial that schoolboy Jagger was in. At the time, I posted but didn't get any answers to my inquiry

Was this a sneaker (plimsol) commercial or some youth health service announcement with students from his Kent school?

Mick's father was a physical education instructor so maybe he helped plan it? It's been so long since I saw that film clip. Does anyone know the details?

I would imagine this was Mick's first time on film.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
03-28-03 01:38 PM
Hannalee I believe it's from a series of instructional videos his father did using Mick as a "model". Filmed at High Rocks near Tunbridge Wells in Kent (I worked there for 18 years)
03-28-03 01:42 PM
Maxlugar What would Petey think of that shot???

Hmmmmmm!!!!!!

Ma-ma ma ma-ma ma MAXY!
03-28-03 02:50 PM
Monkey Woman This is a *very* interesting pic. Thanks for posting it, Gerardo!

Rob, the story is pretty well known. Mick's father was at that time a phys-ed teacher of some repute. He contributed to introduce the game of basketball in England and was often ask to referee matches, in the States as well as in England (Mick's biographer Christopher Sanderson says that those 'business trips' permitted him to bring Mick some records that couldn't be found in England). Mick's dad also wrote a book about teaching sports, stuff about a sane mind in a sane body and how sports is formative to young people's personalities and develops their social abilities.

In the mid-fifties, Joe Jagger did a series of educational TV films about sports and Mick was 'roped in'. He and Mick were cast as teacher and pupil. The pic above is from a demonstration of rock-climbing: preparing your material (apparently something about having the right shoes...)

Footage from this emission have surfaced now and then from the BBC vaults, to the delight of hard-core fans and bootleggers. Most recently, a little bit from that rock-climbing emission was featured in the extraordinary European documentary 'Let It Bleed' about the 40 years of Rolling Stones.
03-28-03 03:50 PM
nankerphelge Who's the dude with the bad hair behind Mick?
03-28-03 03:54 PM
glencar His first fuck?
03-28-03 05:05 PM
Gazza Its from a 1957 tv show called "Seeing Sport"

Joe Jagger (whose hand is holding Mick's outstretched foot) was a P.E. teacher and,as said above, appeared on TV doing instructional material with schoolchildren
03-28-03 05:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks mate, now you answered my question in the other thread! I'm adding that infor to the header.
03-28-03 05:20 PM
Mathijs Glencar, you're just too funny.

Mathijs
03-28-03 06:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man Joe Jagger was my Dads Boss's PE teacher at Dartford Grammer.
03-28-03 06:21 PM
Highwire Rob Are there any films/pics of an older (late teens) Mick when he went on to conduct phys-ed classes at the U.S. military base?

Does anyone have any to post?

So this is where the Beastie Boys got their shoe sole-bearing gimmick for the rap videos! Mick, first again!

P.S. The kid with him in the header pic looks like a young Lindsey Buckingham (LOL!) with his 1980s Go Insane coif!

It's him, I tell ya...
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST