ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Canadian National Institute For The Blind Benefit Concerts.
Oshawa, Civic Auditorium, Canada - April 22, 1979
By Neal Preston
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Highwire Return to archive
03-27-03 08:07 PM
Mottrush
Current world events have prompted me to play this under rated classic quite a bit lately... sad prick that I am!

I know Bill didn't appear in the video but did he actually play bass on this track and also "Sex Drive" in the studio?

Highwire should have been a big single and got more airplay than it did, although I suppose I can understand why it didn't.

Cheers,

Mottrush
03-27-03 10:59 PM
Highwire Rob Not surprisingly, questions about this track are what first led me to this great board! My very first post on here had to do with asking about the origins of this recording. That was 8 months ago! Hard to believe the threat of this present war were percolating way back then!

I was told by the regulars on here that it was a Mick creation--he likely came up with the lead guitar tabs as well as the lyrics, but of course, it's credited to Jagger/Richards. Bill is listed as Bass player for its one and only original single:

http://www.artistdirect.com/store/a...-486584,00.html
03-27-03 11:42 PM
icydanger
yes, has to do with mixed emotions.

i havent been able to listen to that song lately,
it makes me too sad
03-28-03 08:06 AM
corgi37 I would adore the stones to do this song live on their current tour. It would go down a storm in Europe. It would have to be their stongest single since undercover. It should have been a big hit, but as gulf war 1 was on, the bbc banned it, most U.S. commentators bagged them for dare writing about the subject and it got bugger all airplay. Here in Oz the clip was played a fair bit in the 1st month of release, as was the single, but the Flashpoint cd flopped without a trace here (probably because the fuckers didnt tour here!). I find it bizarre that i never play any of the tracks from this cd except sex drive and highwire, the 2 studio tracks. I've always thought flashpoint was a very boring record. sort of "Stones by numbers". Beats the shit out of no security though.
03-28-03 04:05 PM
Honky Tonker Another problem with the song not being a big hit was (thankfully) that war ended quickly and not a lot of action. Great song though.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST