ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© purepeople.com with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Obama's Church Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
16th March 2008 03:06 PM
pdog can anyone explain to me the dynamic that exists among blacks, that makes them believe OJ is innocent, even thogh, he killed his wife... Is it any different than the dynamic that exists among a certain group, that thinks George Bush hadled the attacks on Sept. 11th like a person who knew what the fuck to do, when you hear your nation is being attacked?
16th March 2008 03:15 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
pdog wrote:
can anyone explain to me the dynamic that exists among blacks, that makes them believe OJ is innocent, even thogh, he killed his wife... Is it any different than the dynamic that exists among a certain group, that thinks George Bush hadled the attacks on Sept. 11th like a person who knew what the fuck to do, when you hear your nation is being attacked?

Pdog - you ok? Too much coffee? Too much hate? Too much soul searching? Too many hours logged on? It's only lunchtime, man . . . Deep breaths . . .

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
16th March 2008 03:27 PM
Bloozehound All this jive talk about Obama being a racist, it's all bullocks

the dude pimps white women AND black women alike, he doesn't discriminate, he's an equal opportunity pimp, that's my kinda pimp, PLUS he's a mack daddy that puts his name on nothing less than sets of 54 Double D's, the cat knows his shit

Obamas the man

[Edited by Bloozehound]
16th March 2008 04:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
can anyone explain to me the dynamic that exists among blacks, that makes them believe OJ is innocent, even thogh, he killed his wife... Is it any different than the dynamic that exists among a certain group, that thinks George Bush hadled the attacks on Sept. 11th like a person who knew what the fuck to do, when you hear your nation is being attacked?

16th March 2008 04:55 PM
Starbuck
quote:
You can't shake this kinda stuff off so easily.

riffy...just out of curiosity...what is so all fired wrong about this speech? i agree with pdog - you can find fault with the militaristic delivery, but what exactly is so far off about the content?

i'll hang up and take my answer off the air!
16th March 2008 05:00 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

riffy...just out of curiosity...what is so all fired wrong about this speech? i agree with pdog - you can find fault with the militaristic delivery, but what exactly is so far off about the content?

i'll hang up and take my answer off the air!

I thought you quit this thread?

You got two jobs..there are black people who don't got one...I reckon the Rev is talking about you
16th March 2008 05:11 PM
Starbuck i would love to give one my jobs to one of said black men who don't have jobs...i haven't had time for guitars, sleep, exercise, hanky panky, or sleep since i started working so much...

seriously, though, i have a handful of black students in my classes that have absolutely no hope of ever making it in life, and it keeps me awake at night. they have one parent, no home life, no money, and no interest in school. they find it hard to identify with the teachers because 90% of them are white women. how do we reach them and turn them into effective citizens? they are the ones that will turn out getting into drugs, crime, and, even worse, hip hop...seriously, riffy or anyone else that is outraged by the clip riffy posted above, if you have any ideas, i'm all ears!
16th March 2008 05:16 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i would love to give one my jobs to one of said black men who don't have jobs...i haven't had time for guitars, sleep, exercise, hanky panky, or sleep since i started working so much...

Absolutely nothing stops you from doing that...NOTHING...You don't even need that extra job...you're taking food out of the mouths of black people...sleep well...rich white man

And when can we expect a black fake John Lennon?...Don't tell me you can't find a black man who plays guitar better than you...Cause I know that ain't right

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
16th March 2008 05:18 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I was very disappointed in that flick, it should of been alot better
16th March 2008 05:24 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

seriously, riffy or anyone else that is outraged by the clip riffy posted above, if you have any ideas, i'm all ears!

How bout this one ears?...Got any problems with this one?

Speak up...

16th March 2008 06:06 PM
BONOISLOVE

16th March 2008 06:06 PM
Fiji Joe In the interest of fair play, from McCain's church's website, these are the tenets of McCain's church:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the White Community
3. Commitment to the White Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.

----

16th March 2008 06:08 PM
BONOISLOVE

16th March 2008 07:47 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

How bout this one ears?...Got any problems with this one?

Speak up...

Yeah, that is some pretty stupid, inane, irresponsible shit -- but I must be spending too much time at my progressive radio station, because this is exactly the sort of chitterchatter I tune out at regular intervals when I have the misfortune of talking to some of the more wingnut members of that organization, except, you know, not so loud.

Anyway, dude is OLD.

Thankfully, though, we have this thing called the separation of church and state, and I dunno, I buy into that schism and believe people do pick and choose bits and pieces of belief systems and quite handily leave the rest behind as long as you keep your critical thinking skills. Personally, I'd be delighted if he'd come right out and say that he believed NONE of the doctrine preached in the church (including the guy on the cross) even if he did find occasional sermons stirring/inspiring within his own personal belief matrix. But whatever. I respect that some people believe in Big Sky.

I do understand why this is an issue though, and and if you'll excuse a fence sitter playing the Kennedy card, let's just imagine home-boy saying "I am not the Black Liberation Theology candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President, who happens also to be a Black Liberation Theologist." Yikes.

What is distressing and smacks of three a.m. type inexperience is how, yeah, no one working for the senator had a prior strategy in place for this . . . unless he really was unaware of the comments. Anyway, that interview on FOX was just pathetically unconvincing and vague, especially in an election contest that looked like it was going to come down to two reasonably straightforward guys who didn't mind calling a spade a spade. Although I personally thought the interview with Cooper on CNN was a lot better and his comments about moving on from the 60s civil rights mindset on point, I am sure there are those who will say he was being thrown softballs.

And now today's non-sequitor: Jerry Falwell about to slip the tongue to Ronald Reagan.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
16th March 2008 08:02 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I was very disappointed in that flick, it should of been alot better

I dunno - I liked it OK - the ending was stupid as hell but that was somehow apropo. At least it was short.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
16th March 2008 08:05 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I do understand why this is an issue though, and and if you'll excuse a fence sitter playing the Kennedy card, let's just imagine home-boy saying "I am not the Black Liberation Theology candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President, who happens also to be a Black Liberation Theologist." Yikes.

Statements of the "pastor"/ "Mentor"/ "Inspiration" aside, how does he reconcile 20 years of Black Liberation Theology with his "one America" rhetoric?...I suppose he can with people who don't know what it's REALLY about, or don't care...and I suppose he could if he characterizes it as something other than what it is...but I know what it is...as so does Reverend Wright and other similar type reverends...that's why they say the things they say...again, best case, Obama plays stupid, 20 years stupid, and says he didn't know...or worst case, he owns it...There is no question he will never be made to own it by the mainstream media...I see what the media is doing to Hillary, and I know what they will do to McCain...and He knows it too...so anything other than that unconvincing babble he gave on Fox is all you will ever know about it...Again...an example...would any of you here cut this kinda slack to a 20 year member of the Westboro Baptist church?...Or would you take his word that he was just picking and choosing between the good and the bad?

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
16th March 2008 09:40 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Statements of the "pastor"/ "Mentor"/ "Inspiration" aside, how does he reconcile 20 years of Black Liberation Theology with his "one America" rhetoric?...I suppose he can with people who don't know what it's REALLY about, or don't care...and I suppose he could if he characterizes it as something other than what it is...but I know what it is...as so does Reverend Wright and other similar type reverends...that's why they say the things they say...again, best case, Obama plays stupid, 20 years stupid, and says he didn't know...or worst case, he owns it...There is no question he will never be made to own it by the mainstream media...I see what the media is doing to Hillary, and I know what they will do to McCain...and He knows it too...so anything other than that unconvincing babble he gave on Fox is all you will ever know about it...Again...an example...would any of you here cut this kinda slack to a 20 year member of the Westboro Baptist church?...Or would you take his word that he was just picking and choosing between the good and the bad?

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

We all pretty much pick and choose what points we address when we have these fun little RO debates. Like no one has told me how this preacher's words would effect the once-possible first black president's job performance.

I have even known some people to ignore stuff they disagree with and move on. Usually I am smart enough to play like that myself, but since this is the most interesting political thread I've come across on the board since the glory days of Sweet Neocon, here I am, engaged. And as usual, I find myself arguing with you guys over a cause I am somewhat ambivalent about.

Seems to me like this is a breaking story. Is it already gone? Gosh things move so fast out there in the real world. Why are you so convinced that it's going to be buried? Damn - so it's buried but he's still toast? I don't understand how it can be buried AND his run still be over. Maybe you don't buy it's over. I guess that's Riff.

When you say he owns it, what exactly do you mean - that he fesses up and says "I believe that shit" or "I kinda believed that shit" or "Yes I sat there and didn't shout that shit down"? Sorry - you've used the owns it phrase several times through the seven pages of this sucka and I still don't quite get it. My dumb.

Far as the Westboro Baptist Church goes - Heaven forbid any candidate use latent homophobia to strategic purpose in a presidential election. And thank the Big Sky that Westboro Baptist is the only white (or hell, black) Christian Church in America with anti-homosexual tendencies.

Actually, strike that last paragraph from the record - you know I'm a weekend warrior these days and I don't want to be accused of abandoning my posts, so I don't want to open more cans of worms I can't own.

16th March 2008 09:56 PM
CrissCrossMind Omama accepts and supports all (most all) postions of his church over the last 20 yrears ... or he would have found a new one ... or gave up this religion non-sense ... I would not say he is racist just Pro Black ... yet I will not accept his team for attacking everyone in his way as Racist ... by playing that card they can never win a national election ... this thing has not even started to get to the real "Dirty Work" yet ... and he whines like a baby ... CCM
16th March 2008 10:22 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

When you say he owns it, what exactly do you mean - that he fesses up and says "I believe that shit" or "I kinda believed that shit" or "Yes I sat there and didn't shout that shit down"? Sorry - you've used the owns it phrase several times through the seven pages of this sucka and I still don't quite get it. My dumb.

He owns the fact that it's his religion...and he further owns the fact that his mentor, spiritual adviser, and (as of three days ago, former) campaign member is a racist...and he owns the religion as his own...and he owns the fact that marxism and division of races and cultures are inherent, if not overt principles of said religion....owns it as in should not be able to disown all that with words of denial..."just words"..."just words"

Don't get me wrong...you're free to believe he can disown all that...you're free to ignore the reality of their 20 year relationship and his 20 years of membership and financial contributions...but it's my opinion that only someone who is inclined not to believe it for whatever various reasons would do that...mankind, as we know, is capable of ignoring all kinds of horrible things once they've cast their lot with their man...objectivity weighs heavy in my favor as it relates to his "ownership"...the fact that we're here discussing what he may or may not have heard, chosen to hear, or chose to believe is proof of that...If this were merely a "guilt by association" situation, we wouldn't be talking about it...the guilt by association line ignore the time, the relationship and the religion...Some of that is laziness, but mostly that's some people choosing to be ignorant on this issue...smart people know why they choose to remain ignorant...I don't have to tell you

Anyway you look at it, this church's core message is every bit as radical and offensive as any "far-right" church...all you have to do is replace the word "black" with "white" as it relates to their tenets and you will see just that...

How all that relates to what someone's job performance may be...as the leader of America...and as someone who is charged with doing the best for the most, I think the possible effects are obvious...But I won't tell you that a possible racist/marxist/separatist, or a man whose life has been shaped, by choice, by a known racist and overall whackjob, can't do a good job...Those are the sort of things you have to consider when voting...It is important...and there isn't anyone here that can, in good faith, tell me that it is not...I do feel that I'd be much more comfortable with someone who didn't have such a background as part of his intellectual and spiritual makeup...and I think most would people here would agree with me on that...especially if Obama were a republican
17th March 2008 12:44 AM
Brainbell Jangler "I noticed over the last several weeks that the forces of division have started to raise their ugly heads again. And I'm not here to cast blame or point fingers because everybody, you know, senses that there's been this shift. It reminds me: We've got a tragic history when it comes to race in this country. We've got a lot of pent-up anger and bitterness and misunderstanding. . . . This country wants to move beyond these kind of things.--Sen. Barack Obama

Bail out, Ins-Hannity! This Swift Boat won't float.
17th March 2008 12:51 AM
Brainbell Jangler This thread (not counting this post) is 39% Fiji Joe, and together with Riffhard they've posted 45%. That's some Florida-style ballot stuffing.
17th March 2008 05:09 AM
Rodney_King why, o why, must y'all always be dissin the black man?

---------------------------
Church: Obama ex-pastor is under unfair attackStory Highlights
The Rev. Jeremiah Wright's former church criticized the news media Sunday

They said his "character is being assassinated in the public sphere"

Wright's former parishioner Barack Obama denounced his sermons

Wright used racial epithet in a sentence about Hillary Clinton
By Steve Brusk and Alex Mooney
CNN

Editor's Note: The following report contains objectionable language.

(CNN) -- The Rev. Jeremiah Wright's former church criticized the news media Sunday for coverage of his sermons, saying in a statement that Wright's "character is being assassinated in the public sphere."

Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois, defended Wright, saying he "has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe."

The statement came two days after Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, a longtime friend of Wright and attendee of the church, denounced sermons that have become the subject of recent controversy. Obama called them "inflammatory and appalling."

"It is an indictment on Dr. Wright's ministerial legacy to present his global ministry within a 15- or 30-second sound bite," the Rev. Otis Moss III, the current pastor of the church, said in the statement.

"The African-American Church was born out of the crucible of slavery, and the legacy of prophetic African-American preachers since slavery has been and continues to heal broken, marginalized victims of social and economic injustices," Moss added.

Don't Miss
Controversial minister off Obama's campaign
Clinton apologizes to black voters
Election Center 2008
"This is an attack on the legacy of the African-American Church, which led and continues to lead the fight for human rights in America and around the world."

In the same statement, the Rev. John H. Thomas, the general minister and president of the United Church of Christ -- the denomination to which Wright's church belongs -- said the news media were creating a "caricature" of his congregation.

"It's time for us to say 'No' to these attacks and declare that we will not allow anyone to undermine or destroy the ministries of any of our congregations in order to serve their own narrow political or ideological ends," Thomas said.

The sermons in question became the subject of scrutiny last week after being highlighted in an ABC News report.

At one December service, Wright argued Clinton's road to the White House is easier than Obama's because of her skin color.

"Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single-parent home; Barack was," Wright says in a video of the sermon posted on YouTube. "Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary! Hillary ain't never been called a 'nigger!' Hillary has never had her people defined as a non-person."

Wright, who retired this year from his post, also says in the video, "Who cares about what a poor black man has to face every day in a country and in a culture controlled by rich white people?"

In denouncing those sermons Friday, Obama defended his 20-year relationship with Wright, saying that the pastor has served him in a spiritual role -- not a political one. E-mail to
17th March 2008 09:57 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
This thread (not counting this post) is 39% Fiji Joe, and together with Riffhard they've posted 45%. That's some Florida-style ballot stuffing.

That's because even you don't won't to hear your own babble trying to defend this stuff...I mean usually, you sing like a bird...but now?...We can't hear you Polly

You got, what them black folks in Cabrini-Green who can't afford to get uptown to attend Obama's church call, "not a goddamn thang!"

Once proud BJ act so humble

17th March 2008 10:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
"I noticed over the last several weeks that the forces of division have started to raise their ugly heads again. And I'm not here to cast blame or point fingers because everybody, you know, senses that there's been this shift.

Perhaps that's why religion and politics aren't discussed in polite society.
17th March 2008 10:25 AM
nankerphelge And so it goes...

Newsmax reporting that, contrary to Obama's statement that he never personally heard Wright say such things, Obama was at one of his sermons.

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/Obama_hate_America_sermon/2008/03/16/80870.html

Credibilty - zero
Judgment - zero
Ability to be Prez - zero.

Thanks for playing Barrak.

Here's your lovely parting gift:

17th March 2008 10:30 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
"I noticed over the last several weeks that the forces of division have started to raise their ugly heads again. And I'm not here to cast blame or point fingers because everybody, you know, senses that there's been this shift. It reminds me: We've got a tragic history when it comes to race in this country. We've got a lot of pent-up anger and bitterness and misunderstanding. . . . This country wants to move beyond these kind of things.--Sen. Barack Obama

Bail out, Ins-Hannity! This Swift Boat won't float.

Selective outrage at its most pathetic...and I'm not talking about Obama

It was just a few days ago you/he were Geraldine Ferraroing Hillary...and now look at ya

Lemme' clue ya in on something "hippy"...you can't go to the barrio, call someone a pendejo, and then ask for a ride home in their low-rider...
17th March 2008 10:31 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
And so it goes...

Newsmax reporting that, contrary to Obama's statement that he never personally heard Wright say such things, Obama was at one of his sermons.

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/Obama_hate_America_sermon/2008/03/16/80870.html

Credibilty - zero
Judgment - zero
Ability to be Prez - zero.

Thanks for playing Barrak.

Here's your lovely parting gift:

Of course he was...and more than one...It's Black Liberation Theology...This stuff is spewed at nearly every sermon
17th March 2008 10:32 AM
Fiji Joe And Nanky...check the AC/DC link I posted at the couch for ya...you probably have it, but if you don't...Oh man...are you in for a treat
17th March 2008 10:33 AM
nankerphelge Will do - thanks!
17th March 2008 10:56 AM
sirmoonie There is no way anyone with this kind of baggage can be elected President. If the Democratic nomination process started over, Obam wouldn't come close to Bill Clinton's wife. He'd be down there with the guys who dropped out months ago.

The timing of this is interesting. It couldn't have been Bill Clinton's wife, because it comes too late for her. It certainly isn't John McCain because he is only interested in advancing true conservative issues, and has little or no interest in what his opponents do outside of that. If you look closely, it was clearly the neo-Zionists who feared being shut out of making important foreign policy decisions for Israel if Obam were to win.

In any case, Obam is biffed. The vast white wing conspiracy doesn't want to hear about this stuff anymore.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)