ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© purepeople.com with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Obama's Church Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19th March 2008 03:50 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Perhaps someone who did not attend a church that preaches racism as part of their normal Sunday services. That would be a start. I would never teach my kids to be racists, and I sure as hell would never willingly expose them to the rants of a racist. But then again, I try and let my better judgement guide me on issues such as race.

Riffy

Have you ever attended a church that harbored a clergy member accused of child molestation? If so did you disassociate yourself from the church afterwards?
19th March 2008 03:51 PM
pdog
quote:
Condoleezza Rice wrote:

Look here, son. The only piece of advice I can give you is this: Lord loves a workin' man, don't trust whitey, and see a doctor and get rid of it.

I hope this helps.

CR

Photobucket
19th March 2008 03:52 PM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Have you ever attended a church that harbored a clergy member accused of child molestation? If so did you disassociate yourself from the church afterwards?

i went to catholic school and churches until I was about 9 or 10. I've always harborded a deep resentment at not being picked to be molested, I guess I wasn't good enough!
19th March 2008 04:51 PM
Riffhard Oh for fuck's sake! I'm done with this thread!

You guys can try and turn the whole argument on it's head and bring up Ronald Reagan,Trent Lott, the Catholic Church, etc. for no other reason than to avoid the cold hard facts. Barack has once again weaved his magic spell. He has suckered a whole slew of folks that can't see a hustle for what it is. Well you done been hustled whitey!

He gave a speech because he HAD TO!! He was caught promoting that with which he so vehemently disagreed in this supposed "Remarkable, monumental, brilliant, greatest political speech ever, blah, blah, blah..." He would never have given this speech had he not been caught pandering to a stone cold racist!! You can sit there and feel great about accepting Barack's latest truth because you feel that you should have white guilt. Well not me! I have never been a racist. I have never attended a racist church. I don't knowingly associate with racists.

So while you sit there and ponder why Obama is so gosh darned insightful on the whole race issue that is "fracturing" this nation perhaps you can help me understand this quote from this true 21st Century Giant of a Man.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."-Barack Obama

Whatever you say Barry!

I don't know but that seems a little....how should say it? Bullshit! Yeah, bullshit! That works.

God you guys are naive to the extreme.

Riffy
19th March 2008 05:13 PM
nankerphelge In my mind, there is a rather stark difference between a candidate who gets an endorsement from someone with racist views versus a candidate that is a member of a church whose pastor preaches racists views.

There is no question that some Republicans in the past have gotten endorsements from people that have views that could be considered racist, whether Falwell or Thurmond or whoever. But I don't know of any Republicans, short of David Duke, who has actually alligned himself with those views.

Obama on the other hand, is a member of this church and until this week, Wright was part of his campaign. Although Obama proclaims that he does not share Wright's views, then why have you remained in his church and why did Wright work on your campaign.

That is the judgment part that makes this entirely different.

And for those that argue that the Republicans are in bed with the religious right, there are two important things to remember. First, not all Republicans are beholden to the religious right, for the simple reason that they are the fringe and you could not win the overall election on the far right. (See McCain).

Second, for those Republicans that do allign more closely with the religious right, there is a huge difference between aligning yourself with a political viewpoint (re: abortion or stem cell research or gun rights) and aligning yourself with someone who is clearly and overtly racist and blames the US government for AIDS and drugs. The former is within the bounds of acceptable political discourse - the latter, I would argue, is unacceptable to just about everyone. Even Obama sees that (now).

19th March 2008 05:59 PM
the good
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Have you ever taken the Miller analogies test?
19th March 2008 06:00 PM
lotsajizz this WHOLE thread is ghey
19th March 2008 06:04 PM
Starbuck riffy...you voice sound like a brutha...

cleary your upper class white lifestyle has taught you that there is obviously only one way to look at life .... that a poor black man from the south side of chicago should have the same value system as you, and if they don't they are inherently incorrect.

is everything so black and white in your world? is there no room for grey? .... or at the very least, mulatto?

FYI, i am not an obama backer or an apologist...i personally don't think he's ready to be president. needs more experience. hell, five years ago the guy was a goddamnn state senator fer chrissakes...everybody needs to develop in triple a before they get called up to the big club. i think he jumped the gun a bit.

doesn't mean he won't make a good president though...
19th March 2008 06:09 PM
pdog I can't beleive people want to act like slavery wasn't racist, but are made and calling a man a few generations removed from said slaves, himself a racist. Damn right homey is angry and pissed, you'd be too. Unless you're a Jew, an indian or a black person, you have better be damn thankful you're born who you are, and if you're of the three I mentioned, be even happeir you'r genepool survived massacres and oppression.
19th March 2008 06:12 PM
Starbuck
quote:
I can't beleive people want to act like slavery wasn't racist, but are made and calling a man a few generations removed from said slaves, himself a racist. Damn right homey is angry and pissed, you'd be too. Unless you're a Jew, an indian or a black person, you have better be damn thankful you're born who you are, and if you're of the three I mentioned, be even happeir you'r genepool survived massacres and oppression.

wow!

what if you're a black jew? then you're REALLY screwed!

[Edited by Starbuck]
19th March 2008 06:20 PM
Starbuck
quote:
remember that night you made me your sex slave, starby?
i am still chafed from that night.

impossible. i'm a virgin!

HA!
19th March 2008 06:21 PM
pdog
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

wow!

what if you're a black jew? then you're REALLY screwed!

[Edited by Starbuck]

I'm still waiting to see how this preachers words have denied any person any rights or held them back... And, one can argeu, that even with anger, justified or not, he may have inspired men and women to try to do things once denied their parents. and not give up, because there's still barriers, that it seems some people pretend don't exist.

I don't know about everyone here, but I'd bet a few would be a bit freaked if their daughters and maybe even their sons were dating a black person. And if you're a parent who is above that, you can be of help to me, because I know I got some reservations about it, at least on its face!
19th March 2008 06:26 PM
pdog there is racism, even in the gay community...
19th March 2008 06:40 PM
CrissCrossMind Bottom line "As the controversy continues, Americans will gradually realize that Obama stuck by Wright as part of a need to get ahead." ... he choose to defend the racist Rev simply because he gets 90+ % of the black community's vote ... this Rev was Obama's advisor until a week ago ... it is not like he disagrees very much with him ... as for Obama having a right as a son of a former 'slave' routine ... lets get real ... he was raised "white" with a blonde momma ... his daddy was from Africa ... did Americans own slaves in Africa too? ... the White guilt trip he tries to lay on white americans?? ... save it for someone else ... if this man or any man or woman wants to lead this country ... they ned to put "racist" friends way out of the picture ... not say they are just part of his extended family so his hatred is OK ... that is Bullshit ... CCM
19th March 2008 06:47 PM
glencar
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Facts are facts, and the fact is the Dems have screwed the pooch once again no matter which candidate they pick at the convention. Neither can win at this point.

I know! Ain't it great?
19th March 2008 06:51 PM
AlexKx Get this. From what I heard the media are going to release more video of ANOTHER preacher that Obama is associated with just like Jeremiah Wright! Damn does this guy lie down with dogs or what?!
19th March 2008 06:56 PM
glencar
quote:
texile wrote:

exactly - the republicans allign themselves with the radical right to win elections, but never denouce the often hateful, narrow-minded crap some of these groups spew toward blacks, gays, hispanics, other religions etc....
this righteous indignation is curious to me.

This is ridiculous, of course. It's not just your aspersions; you list 3 minority groups & then "other religions". What, the Dems don't treat Evangelicals like crap? You haven't been to some of the boards I've been to. The Catholics are also disdained unless they happen to announce a vote for Barry O. And McCain actually has denounced people who have spewed forth hateful stuff. Barry O'Bama had the chance & passed it up. Shame on him.
19th March 2008 06:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels They said on TV that the speech that Obama gave yesterday was the the best political speech since Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Adresss. I guess that means that school kids will have to memorize bits and pieces of it in schools.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th March 2008 07:00 PM
CrissCrossMind Louis Farrakhan (born Louis Eugene Walcott, May 11, 1933), is the acting head of the Nation of Islam (NOI) (Obama loves this man ... but has tried his best to keep a distance ... but note the home he bought with the help of the crook now in court is in the same "hood" as as the infamous Louis) ... "National Representative of Elijah Muhammad. He is also well-known as an advocate for African American interests and a critic of American society. Farrakhan currently resides in Kenwood, an affluent neighborhood on the south side of Chicago and part time at a Nation of Islam farm in New Buffalo, Michigan.

Farrakhan has been the center of much controversy, and critics contend that some of his views and comments have been racist, homophobic, and antisemitic.[4] Farrakhan has categorically rejected these charges, and has stated that much of America's perception of him has been shaped by media sound bites."

We need someone that see the extreme ... but does not embrace it ... CCM

19th March 2008 08:31 PM
pdog
quote:
pdog wrote:

True

True

quote:

it is not like he disagrees very much with him ...

False, and I'd like to see you prove that...

Now you're being stupid. I never said he was the son of slaves, I was talking about blacks in america as a whole. And many of them have white blood, you know why. you ever hear of rape!!!

i guess that's why people are called African americans... Wow, you figured that out quick.
quote:

did Americans own slaves in Africa too?

Except all the white politicians, who have been associated with our mass racism. How old are you? You remember what year blacks got the right to vote? Do some number crunching, how many of them are still alive, who were given that bit of freedom?
[quote]
... not say they are just part of his extended family so his hatred is OK ... that is Bullshit ... CCM

The only bullshit is people treating racism as a one way street. Seems no one wants to accept it's so ingrained in our society. And there's a bunch who think they are somehow immune, and they're in denial. Only two fears are natural to humans. Loud noises and faling, everything else is learned, so tell me how as a country we've unlearned our fears regarding race, religion and sex??? Niether Democrat or Republican has done that... It's people, changing, and telling the government to fuck off and stay out of our lives, let us live as free people. Including the right to speak our minds. Including The Reverends rants on race and american Govt. policy. You don't like then shut the fuck up too. Because that is a right you can't have too!

19th March 2008 08:53 PM
somebody Fundamentalism of religions on both sides of the ocean has got us where we are now and anyone with extreme ideas cannot lead a diverse population in any effective way and steer a course through as a leader.
19th March 2008 09:46 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
CrissCrossMind wrote:
Louis Farrakhan (born Louis Eugene Walcott, May 11, 1933), is the acting head of the Nation of Islam (NOI) (Obama loves this man ... but has tried his best to keep a distance ... but note the home he bought with the help of the crook now in court is in the same "hood" as as the infamous Louis) ...

We need someone that see the extreme ... but does not embrace it ... CCM

I certainly see the extreme here: the extreme in guilt-by-association--guilt-by-living-in-the-same-neighborhood.
19th March 2008 09:47 PM
CrissCrossMind Racism exsists ... just check out the Rev ... Obama has used it in every state with a sizable black vote ... free speech is available to everyone / everywhere ... too bad common sense is not ... but I aint voting for an exteme racist or his supportor ... those like Obama that enable the hate fueled rants of the Rev's of the world are not working to improve the situation ... they are looking to take advantage of it ... CCM
[Edited by CrissCrossMind]
19th March 2008 10:24 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"Instead of judging from our reality, we should make an effort to understand from his reality and Obama DID try to explain his churchs methodology."

Seek help quickly meg.

Any attempt to understand the difference between the privileged white perspective and the black experience will subject you to ridicule from those seeking to obscure the reality of racism in America.
19th March 2008 10:34 PM
Fiji Joe Boy...I leave for 3 days and some of you are still full of shit...time has proven me right...again...and has further proven that all but a few of you lack the objectivity to stay on point

A summary of what we have learned since I left:

Obama wasn't there but he was...

Obama's grandma is a racist...and why do we need to know that?

Obama's grandmother was seriously hurt by the bus he threw
her under

Obama's faux uncle is also a racist...and crazy...you can't choose your uncle...you can indeed choose you mentor

Obama called for blood with Imus and his "nappy head comments... http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317 ...He said he should be fired and that he would never have anyone like that on his staff...yet he did have someone even worse on his staff...and he damn well knew it...they gotta name for people like that

Obama's website still carries an endorsement by the "new black panther party" led by Zulu Shabazz...yeah, those who don't care to know won't know what they're bout...let's just say it's the same ol' rev. wright kinda stuff..I got video if you think I'm lying..Long story short...they really fucking hate jews and whitey

UPDATE: The tards at the Obama camp woke up this morning and thought it might be a good idea to remove that link...quick on their feet those guys are...Obama now rejects their support..Wow!....It only took him one day after giving THE GREATEST SPEECH ON RACE RELATIONS ever given...just how many negroes is he gonna throw under the bus?...I think he's gonna yank Rosa Parks off the bus and throw her under it too

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/19/obama-web-site-still-carries-new-black-panther-party-endorsement/

Well known race baiter Al Sharpton admits to speaking with Obama two or three times week...I predict he will have bus tire tracks on his back in the morning

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/19/sharpton-keeping-support-_n_92292.html

Obama shows he is not afraid to play the mother of all race cards...did anyone else cry during that speech?

None of you have any understanding of what Black Liberation Theology is...

Some of you think Reagan, Bush and Bob Jones are running for president...for the record, I'm not backing any of those candidates

John McCain shows once again, twice, that he's a fucking retard...not knowing the difference between "Al Kada" and shiite extremists funded by Iran

There's so much more other stuff...but I'm as tired as typing the truth as some of you are reading it
19th March 2008 10:44 PM
Fiji Joe Get the hell out of the way negroes!...Obama's coming!
19th March 2008 10:58 PM
Fiji Joe I'm curious if some of you who lack REAL experience in the black community know the effects of social policies born of white guilt, or white paternalism, in the black community?...or if you might think that many of the problems that exist in the black community that are blamed on racism are of some other genesis?...Suffice to say, if you give an injured man a crutch, he's going to use it...and if he thinks he's still injured, because you tell him he is, he's likely to still use that crutch

Seriously...I know very well that many of you have no real experience with black people...and it's not hard to spot who those people are...not for me anyway...so I just figure you enjoy talking out of your ass
19th March 2008 11:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Any attempt to understand the difference between the privileged white perspective and the black experience will subject you to ridicule from those seeking to obscure the reality of racism in America.

Don't worry about me, BJ!

If you jump in to play with your crazy RO friends..you gotta be able to dish it out and take it.
Unfortunately, they are like most children.. they rather make a lot of noise than listen.

And since me and politics don't mix to well..I'll just let them continue playing. Kinda wasting my time on this playing field, me thinks.
19th March 2008 11:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Seriously...I know very well that many of you have no real experience with black people...and it's not hard to spot who those people are...not for me anyway...so I just figure you enjoy talking out of your ass

Experience with black people? Mine's been limited, being from Maine, but not nonexistant. I've got a couple black friends here in the State though. But they live with white people here. But "blacks" aren't a monolithic entity either. I took a course in Portuguse in Lisbon for a month in 81 or 82 and I lived in a rooming house type thing with all blacks; Mozambiquans and Angolans. Some of the sweetest, kindest people I ever met. I'm sure Kenyans are different from, lets say Brazilian blacks.
19th March 2008 11:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

If you jump in to play with your crazy RO friends..you gotta be able to dish it out and take it.
Unfortunately, they are like most children.. they rather make a lot of noise than listen.

And since me and politics don't mix to well..I'll just let them continue playing. Kinda wasting my time on this playing field, me thinks.

Politics! At the end of day, you've got one vote.
The Election cycle is far too long, IMO.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)