ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© Dimitrios Kambouris with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Crowes show Stones how it's done on "Warpaint" ! Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd March 2008 09:24 AM
gotdablouse I'm surprised our friend, the überfan of the Crowes, hasn't twisted our ears with "Warpaint" yet, but I just got a hold of it and that thing rocks hard, the RS review http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/18388090/review/18691966/warpaint seems a bit harsh to me. I haven't really like the BC stuff since Armorica, but this one is really good!

If it was Jagger singing this would be hailed as the greatest rock album since Exile. This begs the question, if the Crowes can do it, WTF can't the Stones be bothered to make music like that, not to mention write lyrics beyond the usual "my dick is biggger than yours" we've had to endure since...hum...ages. It's not like the Stones have come up with better music since Exile anyway, right ?
23rd March 2008 11:10 AM
Steel Wheels Warpaint is their best album to date, and one of the best rock records of the past 25 years, but it DOES NOT rock out. The mood is very mellow, somber, and sad at points. Chris is coming out of a divorce etc. and not every song is like Remedy or Sting Me.

There is a certain vulnerability in his voice that wasn't there before. I don't know what kind of system you are listening to Warpain on, but listen again and see if you hear the same thing.

I feel they don't show the Stones anything though - Bigger Bang is one of my all-time favorite albums.
23rd March 2008 11:33 AM
gotdablouse I wasn't calling it a "hard rock" record, but saying it "rocked hard" in the sense that it's a mighty rock album, we seem to be on agreement on that.

I'm concerned by your evaluation of ABB though, but that's the subject of another thread, namely -> http://novogate.com/board/968/241088-2.html#3697885

The opening track of Warpaint sounds like "Rocks Off" sometimes, but heck, what's wrong with that, I'll take that any day over some of the crap on ABB, like SSMC or DTF.
23rd March 2008 11:49 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
I wasn't calling it a "hard rock" record, but saying it "rocked hard" in the sense that it's a mighty rock album, we seem to be on agreement on that.

same difference....you're splitting hairs

his x was on the rachel ray show the other week and was all smiling and laughing...seems as tho she's gotten over things alright. shes a little hotty too.
23rd March 2008 11:51 AM
Mr.D
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
. It's not like the Stones have come up with better music since Exile anyway, right ?

Are You kidding?! you can go in chronological order of their great albums since exile

goats head soup
its only rock n roll
black and blue
emotional rescue
tattoo you
undercover
voodoo lounge (sans new faces and moon is up)
bridges to babylon

theyre all pretty damn good albums as far as im concerned, and the stones 80s period is one of their best (emotional rescue/tattoo you/undercover/dirty work)

the reason the stones dont do that now is because they did it then

the black crowes are puttin average lyrics/themes to music the stones created way way back in the early 70s, its an alrite record, but nothing great
[Edited by Mr.D]
23rd March 2008 11:59 AM
gotdablouse What I meant is that the Stones stopped making "great music" after Exile, and since then, apart from some exceptions, have indulged in copying the trend of the day or playing tired out old boogie woogie numbers, with dwindling musicianship, don't even get me started on their recent lyrics...I'd rather hear them make music like Exile anyday, actually if Warpaint was by the Stones, I'm pretty sure everyone would be ecstatic.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
23rd March 2008 12:10 PM
fireontheplatter i could never understand his marriage to kate hudson anyway. i mean, here is a guy who plays in the mud, probably does coke and muschroom tea on occasion..and then there is this cheesey, prima donna, drama queen hollywood actress who lookes like she hasn't done one wrong thing in her life.
i have heard the expression opposites attract..but jesus man....this ones extreeme to me.

i enjoy the bands first two cd's.

i have yet to spin this new one.

23rd March 2008 12:21 PM
Bloozehound If somebody offered me the new Crowes cd, or a side order of coleslaw, I'd pick the slaw
23rd March 2008 01:12 PM
Some Guy I do not particularly care for the new Crowes album.
23rd March 2008 01:55 PM
Some Guy
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

If it was Jagger singing this would be hailed as the greatest rock album since Exile.

I couldn't find the picture of the black gentleman with the humbled look of disdain.

[Edited by Some Guy]
23rd March 2008 02:03 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

you will not understand some guy until you rub upon that mood ring.
chris will become mick much clearer.

[laughs]
23rd March 2008 02:48 PM
pdog I have only one question...
Where is Saint Sway.
23rd March 2008 04:28 PM
Mel Belli Some recent "unplugged" videos from VH1, for interested parties:
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/black_crowes/videos.jhtml#live
23rd March 2008 04:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
I have only one question...
Where is Saint Sway.

When he disappeared for a couple of months late last year he told me it was because he was busy with moving and with work commitments and that he barely had time to even lurk - but hoped things would get back to normal when things at work settled down.

I'm sure he'll be back soon enough.
23rd March 2008 06:34 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

When he disappeared for a couple of months late last year he told me it was because he was busy with moving and with work commitments and that he barely had time to even lurk - but hoped things would get back to normal when things at work settled down.

I'm sure he'll be back soon enough.

then maybe he can explain all this facial hair in the band.
i mean what is this...i'll grow a beard if you grow a beard?
23rd March 2008 07:29 PM
mojoman dudes are stoned........
24th March 2008 02:12 AM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

then maybe he can explain all this facial hair in the band.
i mean what is this...i'll grow a beard if you grow a beard?

hippies do that, also see the above post... lol funny that one is...

Dude are stoned... hahahahahaha!
24th March 2008 02:23 AM
IanBillen [quote]gotdablouse wrote:
I wasn't calling it a "hard rock" record, but saying it "rocked hard" in the sense that it's a mighty rock album, we seem to be on agreement on that.

In your writing that the New Crowes album "Rocks Hard" means it is essentially A. a harder rock album or B. The faster or more up-tempo numbers on the album are "harder" in terms of musical style than average. Probably choice A. would be 9 out of 10 peoples assumption.

How can you state that as an indication of anything eles?

Regardless. Do you like Lions? I LOVE that album. I am not really a Crowes fan either. But that album and it's production are so quality. Tell us what sticks out about the New Crowes versus the other albums in terms of production.

Ian
24th March 2008 06:39 AM
gotdablouse Oh please, Ian "I don't make sense" Billen giving "english lessons", please let me nominate this as the most ridiculous event on RO for 2008, 'nuff said.
24th March 2008 02:10 PM
nankerphelge I second that motion.

24th March 2008 02:31 PM
pdog
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Oh please, Ian "I don't make sense" Billen giving "english lessons", please let me nominate this as the most ridiculous event on RO for 2008, 'nuff said.

When you say ridiculous, do you mean funny haha, or do you mean annyoing grr?

24th March 2008 02:44 PM
kovach Definitely their best album since Amorica.
24th March 2008 03:35 PM
Some Guy
quote:
pdog wrote:
I have only one question...
Where is Saint Sway.

24th March 2008 04:54 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

hippies do that, also see the above post... lol funny that one is...

Dude are stoned... hahahahahaha!

what the #$@^ do you know about hippies.
you have been a city boy all your live
24th March 2008 05:34 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Wow if Saint Sway sees that guy saying the Eagles' latest album is better than Warpaint, he will either drop dead or try to track him down to kick his ass...

Amazing what you find on YouTube, eh...

@pdog - both !
24th March 2008 05:44 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

Wow if Saint Sway sees that guy saying the Eagles' latest album is better than Warpaint, he will either drop dead or try to track him down to kick his ass...

Amazing what you find on YouTube, eh...

@pdog - both !

its a free world.

this guy wouldn't give a fuck.

he's entitled to his opinion.
24th March 2008 05:45 PM
pdog
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

The day mngr. at Papa Johns? or Fireontheplatter....
24th March 2008 05:55 PM
Some Guy a more upbeat review-
24th March 2008 06:01 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

The day mngr. at Papa Johns? or Fireontheplatter....

you sterio typical piece of crap.

fuck you

24th March 2008 06:37 PM
mojoman
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

what the #$@^ do you know about hippies.
you have been a city boy all your live

dood. you dont have to living on a organic wheat-grass cooperative in vermont to be a hippie. anyways most punks are really hippies cept fer maybe johnny ramone.......
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)