ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© Dimitrios Kambouris with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Best Rock Movie ever made. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
18th March 2008 11:23 PM
guitarman53
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.

The Kids are Allright, yes a great movie, without Keith Moon, what would Rock 'N'Roll be like without?
18th March 2008 11:29 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

hey nasty - i hope all is well. i havent seen either of these - but now i have some titles to track down. many thx.
18th March 2008 11:32 PM
guitarman53
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

The Kids are Allright, yes a great movie, without Keith Moon, what would Rock 'N'Roll be like without?

This i's a more popular thread, then Elton John, even though he doesn't like David Bowie, he is the original Queen to save the Clinton's, & he really is a homosexual???? unlike Bowie who isn't? he wins!! big time!! H. Clinton loves gay men who can support her in the big race!! & by the way we'll make it legal for gay men to have sex in public.
18th March 2008 11:38 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

This i's a more popular thread, then Elton John, even though he doesn't like David Bowie, he is the original Queen to save the Clinton's, & he really is a homosexual???? unlike Bowie who isn't? he wins!! big time!! H. Clinton loves gay men who can support her in the big race!! & by the way we'll make it legal for gay men to have sex in public.

Rambles the g-man, in response to hisself...

WTF?
19th March 2008 01:03 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Rambles the g-man, in response to hisself...

WTF?

I'm afraid, I don't understand in fuck what you're talking about?
19th March 2008 09:04 AM
Nasty Habits Hey mac - keep in mind - Wild in the Streets makes Rock n' Roll High School look like Citizen Kane.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
19th March 2008 09:08 AM
nanatod The problem with Gimme Shelter is that it is too sad of a movie. Everything goes wrong. No happy ending.

The problem with The Last Waltz is that there are a lot of so-so performances. There is one enormous exception -- the transcendent singing and playing of Muddy Waters -- maybe his finest moment anywhere.

Performance is great, if only for "Memo from Turner," the greatest non-Stones "Stones song."

As far as Woodstock goes, there are too many hippies. But the two greatest moments are when the watermelon is thrown on stage at the end of Alvin Lee's blistering performance, and of course, the looks of non-comprehension the zonked out audience gives the proto-disco / proto-punk Sha Na Na as they do "At The Hop."
19th March 2008 09:15 AM
Nasty Habits You know, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone argue that Sha Na Na was AHEAD of their time. Fascinating.

19th March 2008 09:54 AM
Ade one of my favourites

19th March 2008 09:58 AM
Honky Tonk Man A Hard Days Night. End of.
19th March 2008 11:15 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
A Hard Days Night. End of.

It opened up the doors for the Monkees.
19th March 2008 11:31 AM
Shawn20 I hope the greatest rock movie of all time is "Shine A Light." For now, I'm with the Gimme Shelter bandwagon. I saw that movie 30 times on the big screen. What an impact. Jagger at his best, Keith being Keef! Just a powerful movie.
19th March 2008 12:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I agree with many of the already posted, just want to add:

A Mexican Movie "¿Cómo vez?" about urban rock, margination and the local rock scene.

Also "The Doors" is a great movie, well documented by insiders and well done. I love the way the handle the making, the life and the decadence of one of the best rock bands ever.

Let me tell ya... for kids the best one is "School of Rock", probably for us could be a dumb story but for the kids is great, after that movie they love Rock and want to rock immediately. Too bad there ain't no mention to the Stones, but they are in the blacboard
19th March 2008 12:38 PM
nanatod
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
You know, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone argue that Sha Na Na was AHEAD of their time. Fascinating.

A little web searching indicates that I may not be the only person to make the connection between Sha Na Na and punk rock based on the Woodstock performance. "At The Hop" is really performed fast; take a closer look at it the next time you see the movie.
19th March 2008 12:55 PM
DAVINO
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I mean really guys, you've said a lot of great rock movies, but if you've ever been a insane rolling stone fan from the 60's (and still is) it's not going be Woodstock, or a lot of other movies, we're influenced by The Stones, not by the Grateful dead, which is the opposite to The Stones, they said the Stones were on a star trip before the free festival, Jerry wouldn't perform because of this, so for all you Grateful Dead fans, he was the one who backed out! some hippie love that is!! fuck the Grateful Dead, & long Live The Rolling Stones!
[Edited by guitarman53]

Fuck The Dead?, you are wrong. They created some of the most beautiful music the world has ever known.
19th March 2008 01:14 PM
Quiquestone The Wall
19th March 2008 01:38 PM
Gazza
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

Most of "The Last Waltz" I don't like much.

Most of the performances kinda suck, except Van Morrison obviously (can't believe he nearly didn't go on because of stage fright- no pun intended).

No they bloody don't. The Band are superb throughout and there are loads of fantastic guest performances. Notably Van Morrison, Dylan, Muddy Waters, Dr John, Neil Young and that rip-roaring cover of 'Mystery Train' by Paul Butterfield.

The performance of 'Caravan' may very well be Van Morrison's greatest moment.
[Edited by Gazza]
19th March 2008 02:16 PM
steel driving hammer
19th March 2008 02:47 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nanatod wrote:

A little web searching indicates that I may not be the only person to make the connection between Sha Na Na and punk rock based on the Woodstock performance. "At The Hop" is really performed fast; take a closer look at it the next time you see the movie.

No, I can already see what you're saying on a number of levels: proto-70s-Oldies Revival thrown in a well - the rumblings of Happy Days and American Graffiti and all that. I was not casting your claims in doubt - I had just never thought about them before, because no matter how kind of manic and fuck-you-hippy that performance may be, their records and 70s presence SUUUUUUUUUUCKs and is ANTI-punk.

19th March 2008 02:51 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No they bloody don't. The Band are superb throughout and there are loads of fantastic guest performances. Notably Van Morrison, Dylan, Muddy Waters, Dr John, Neil Young and that rip-roaring cover of 'Mystery Train' by Paul Butterfield.

The performance of 'Caravan' may very well be Van Morrison's greatest moment.
[Edited by Gazza]

The Last Waltz Caravan is good but I wouldn't go that far. For just one instance, have you heard that unbelievable Just Like a Woman from Pacific High, '71? Woah!

There is a bit of self-congratulatory and overly self-important weirdness about the Last Waltz that has grown to bug me, particularly in Robbie Robertson's behavior on and off stage. But any movie that can even make me like a Clapton performance has something going for it.

19th March 2008 03:00 PM
Mr Jurkka Spinal Tap and Detroid Rock City!
19th March 2008 06:09 PM
lotsajizz the U2 3D movie is breath-taking....kinda makes all the others seem.....well.....quaint

but for non-3D...

Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones
The TAMI show
Gimme Shelter
Stop Making Sense
Spinal Tap
The Filth And The Fury
Get Crazy
Rock n' Roll High School
The Kids Are All Right
Led Zeppelin (the 4 disk DVD set, NOT Song remains The Same)
The Truth About De-Evolution
19th March 2008 06:23 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I'm afraid, I don't understand in fuck what you're talking about?

Why doesn't that me surprise?
19th March 2008 06:30 PM
pdog
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
Spinal Tap and Detroid Rock City!

CB4 is a great movie too, and despite it being about rap, I think it's pretty great as far a music and movies go... it's like the black Spinal Tap...
19th March 2008 07:02 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Anybody ever see 'Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains'?

Starred a very young Diane Lane as the main Stain, and included Steve Jones, Paul Cook, Paul Simonon, Ray Winstone (The Professionals), Fee Waybill and Vince Welnick (The Metal Corpses).

A cult classic looong overdue for DVD release.
19th March 2008 07:12 PM
fireontheplatter u2's 'rattle and hum' i thought was good.
19th March 2008 08:52 PM
mac_daddy see, now if you are gonna go with rock star cameos roles, i can throw out a few...

richard hell in smithereens

tom waits in down by law (or any of the jim jarmusch films, but down by law is my favorite)

joe strummer in mystery train

and while i am on the subject (of jim jarmusch films), year of the horse was pretty good.

and just for sh*ts and giggles, i have to say that neil young's soundtrack for dead man is slammin'

nasty - i still am gonna seek it out. i am really curious about rust never sleeps, too.

edit to add: i also have high hopes for the future is unwritten.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
19th March 2008 09:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Anybody ever see 'Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains'?

Starred a very young Diane Lane as the main Stain, and included Steve Jones, Paul Cook, Paul Simonon, Ray Winstone (The Professionals), Fee Waybill and Vince Welnick (The Metal Corpses).

A cult classic looong overdue for DVD release.

Saw that on TV a while back. Wasnt bad.
19th March 2008 10:34 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

hey mac_daddio - me too. it was released here just last week so I'm hoping a copy will be in my local DVD boutique soon

anybody here seen it yet??
20th March 2008 12:09 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
see, now if you are gonna go with rock star cameos roles, i can throw out a few...

richard hell in smithereens

tom waits in down by law (or any of the jim jarmusch films, but down by law is my favorite)

joe strummer in mystery train

and while i am on the subject (of jim jarmusch films), year of the horse was pretty good.

and just for sh*ts and giggles, i have to say that neil young's soundtrack for dead man is slammin'

nasty - i still am gonna seek it out. i am really curious about rust never sleeps, too.

[Edited by mac_daddy]

Jim Jarmusch! I saw Stranger Than Paradise in the 8th Street Playhouse in 1984 and fell in love with this guy's style. Everything from Permanent Vacation, Down By Law, and Mystery Train to Night On Earth, Year Of The Horse, and Dead Man...great performances and cameos by musicians like Tom Waits, John Lurie, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Richard Edson, Iggy Pop, Rufus Thomas, Joe Strummer, Gibby Haynes, Neil Young, RZA, etc. I love this guy.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)