ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© Dimitrios Kambouris with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Best Rock Movie ever made. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
18th March 2008 06:04 PM
guitarman53 In my mind it's "Gimme Shelter" when I was 16, I wanted to look like & act like Keith, he was so cool, I saw that movie about 50 times, I've got it on DVD & I still watch it some times, & it brings back memories about my youth, what a fantastic movie! it's the best rock 'N' Roll movie of all time to me.
18th March 2008 06:10 PM
glencar ditto
18th March 2008 06:14 PM
fireontheplatter gimme shelter is a good one, i agree.

i also recommend 'stop making sense' by the talking heads.
18th March 2008 06:25 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
18th March 2008 06:26 PM
Starbuck have you seen a little film called "yellow submarine"???
18th March 2008 06:36 PM
glencar This is Best Rock Movie. You wanted Best Cock Movie, Bucky.
18th March 2008 06:39 PM
Dan End Of The Century
18th March 2008 06:40 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
This is Best Rock Movie. You wanted Best Cock Movie, Bucky.

Funny!

Shine A Light
18th March 2008 06:42 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle 'The Last Waltz', if only for the moment where Levon, Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko are glancing nervously at Dylan as he veers out of 'Forever Young'.

Danko's knowing smile as they blast into 'Baby, Let Me Follow You Down' is sublime...
18th March 2008 06:57 PM
Gazza 1.

18th March 2008 06:59 PM
stonedinaustralia does Performance count?

While it is hard to quibble with your choice of Gimme Shelter other favourites of mine include:

The TAMI show (screaming teenage girls notwithstanding)

Ladies & Gentlemen

Jimi Hendrix

The Filth & the Fury

To finish with an odd personal favourite I remember back in 73/74 I saw what was even then considered to be an exercise in nostalgia "Let the Good Times Roll" with some great 70's performances by Chuck, Bo, Fats and Little Richard. Now, with hindsight, I realise that at the time these guys were still relatively young (put it this way, a lot younger than the Stones are now)and still, more or less, on top of their games. Rather then being hopeless burnt out has beens from yesterday they had just become "old fashioned". Funnily enough the movie helped fire up the 50s rock and roll revival in the 70s, for good or ill (see Sha Na Na & Happy Days for the down side of that one)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
18th March 2008 07:03 PM
mrhipfl
18th March 2008 07:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
does Performance count?

While it is hard to quibble with your choice of Gimme Shelter other favourites of mine include:

The TAMI show (screaming teenage girls notwithstanding)

Ladies & Gentlemen

Jimi Hendrix

The Filth & the Fury

To finish with an odd personal favourite I remember back in 73/74 I saw what was even then considered to be an exercise in nostalgia "Let the Good Times Roll" with some great 70's performances by Chuck, Bo, Fats and Little Richard. Now, with hindsight, I realise that at the time these guys were still relatively young (put it this way, a lot younger than the Stones are now)and still, more or less, on top of their games. Rather then being hopeless burnt out has beens from yesterday they had just become "old fashioned". Funnily enough the movie helped fire up the 50s rock and roll revival in the 70s, for good or ill (see Sha Na Na & Happy Days for the down side of that one)

I suppose you could count Performance as its a film about a musician.

The TAMI Show is a great one. Far and away my favourite Brian-era Stones footage.

Rock n Roll Circus is worth mentioning - I suppose it counts as, whilst it was conceived as a TV special instead of a film, when it was released eventually it got a cinema release.

I remember seeing Let The Good Times Roll in the cinema when I was about 15 (it was showing as a double feature with Elvis On Tour, I think - both films had come out some years earlier). I'd forgot about that movie. Great fun!
18th March 2008 07:41 PM
guitarman53 I mean really guys, you've said a lot of great rock movies, but if you've ever been a insane rolling stone fan from the 60's (and still is) it's not going be Woodstock, or a lot of other movies, we're influenced by The Stones, not by the Grateful dead, which is the opposite to The Stones, they said the Stones were on a star trip before the free festival, Jerry wouldn't perform because of this, so for all you Grateful Dead fans, he was the one who backed out! some hippie love that is!! fuck the Grateful Dead, & long Live The Rolling Stones!
[Edited by guitarman53]
18th March 2008 08:09 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
'The Last Waltz', if only for the moment where Levon, Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko are glancing nervously at Dylan as he veers out of 'Forever Young'.

Danko's knowing smile as they blast into 'Baby, Let Me Follow You Down' is sublime...

Most of "The Last Waltz" I don't like much. Too many self-indulgent, coked-out interview snippets. Levon Helm is the only one who doesn't seem really high. They all look terrible, especially Richard Manuel (battling severe alcoholism then- and hanging out with Clapton didn't help) who is only 33 but looks about 60. When wooly-bearded Garth Hudson at 38 looks the best of the bunch, you know it was the right time to give it up.

Most of the performances kinda suck, except Van Morrison obviously (can't believe he nearly didn't go on because of stage fright- no pun intended). With the coke on the nose edited out of Neil's performance, "Helpless" is interesting only for Neil looking completely zoned out and cracking up at Robbie Robertson's stage antics. Joni Mitchell, who was great back then, fucks it up even further with extremely unnecessary backing vocals.

Dylan looks really strange but does an alright job. Oh well, it's a good time capsule of the rock world right before punk turned it on its ear. Most of the performers became fossils, and few embraced the change besides Neil and Dylan in his own quiet way (he really liked the Clash I hear).
18th March 2008 08:18 PM
GotToRollMe Gimme Shelter
Quadrophenia
A Hard Day's Night
The Filth and The Fury

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
18th March 2008 08:28 PM
Lavendar Here comes my 19th Nervous Breakdown!

YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!

:}
18th March 2008 08:29 PM
mac_daddy in addition to what has been said - i would throw the tom dowd documentary into the mix...

and if you are gonna include works of fiction (performance) than i will throw in "untitled" (commonly known as "almost famous"), too.

and if we are talking camp (kiss @ magic mtn), then i will throw in "rock and roll high school"

18th March 2008 08:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I mean really guys, you've said a lot of great rock movies, but if you've ever been a insane rolling stone fan from the 60's (and still is) it's not going be Woodstock, or a lot of other movies, we're influenced by The Stones, not by the Grateful dead, which is the opposite to The Stones, they said the Stones were on a star trip before the free festival, Jerry wouldn't perform because of this, so for all you Grateful Dead fans, he was the one who backed out! some hippie love that is!! fuck the Grateful Dead, & long Live The Rolling Stones!
[Edited by guitarman53]

I see...if I think Woodstock is a good film, I'm not a real Rolling Stones fan. Jesus.

[Edited by Gazza]
18th March 2008 08:43 PM
guitarman53 Everybody's got their favorite, mine is "Gimme Shelter" & then after that after that, another film by the same directors, Maysles Brothers, " The Beatles, The First U. S. Visit" in '64, they never lost the Rock "n" Roll spirit.
18th March 2008 08:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Everybody's got their favorite, mine is "Gimme Shelter" & then after that after that, another film by the same directors, Maysles Brothers, " The Beatles, The First U. S. Visit" in '64, they never lost the Rock "n" Roll spirit.

Is that the one that has footage of their Washington show?
18th March 2008 09:05 PM
Sioux Wow Gazza, that was great work...you really hit most all of the great rock movies...

The T.A.M.I. show was amazing. Wish I'd been there. And also Monterey, which I would have rather attended than Woodstock {but I wasn't at either}. Great movies listed, everyone.
18th March 2008 09:15 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Is that the one that has footage of their Washington show?

Yes, that's the one, a real Rock 'n" roll movie about a band on stage ( the T.A.M.I. was after this, but a fantastic performance by The Stones (In their Beatlemania days) that goes down with history, just look at the young Mick & Keith.
18th March 2008 09:24 PM
nankerphelge I used to love getting all ripped up and watch that crazy Neil Young movie with the giant tuing forks and shit.

Also the first few minutes of animation in the Greatful Dead movie were worth the price of admission.

That Talking Heads movie is great too.
I saw that tour on mushrooms at SPAC in Saratoga.

I have 3 brain cells left...

18th March 2008 10:00 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I mean really guys, you've said a lot of great rock movies, but if you've ever been a insane rolling stone fan from the 60's (and still is) it's not going be Woodstock, or a lot of other movies, we're influenced by The Stones, not by the Grateful dead, which is the opposite to The Stones, they said the Stones were on a star trip before the free festival, Jerry wouldn't perform because of this, so for all you Grateful Dead fans, he was the one who backed out! some hippie love that is!! fuck the Grateful Dead, & long Live The Rolling Stones!

Um, the Dead bailed on Altamont after finding out the Hells Angels were running amok - see Balin, Marty - not to slight any "star trip" by the Stones.

And the decision not to play was a group one, not Garcia's alone.

In his book 'Searching For The Sound' bassist Phil Lesh admits "we were just too scared to risk our asses on that stage."

He later adds "Not our finest hour."
18th March 2008 10:03 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I used to love getting all ripped up and watch that crazy Neil Young movie with the giant tuing forks and shit.

RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

For me, it's Gimme Shelter, by a significant margin. I've never seen another movie so often.

After that, maybe Don't Look Back, but equally likely:

also:

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
18th March 2008 10:08 PM
guitarman53
quote:
wrote:

Thanks for that, so what is the greatest Rock 'N' Roll film? for real life happenings? is it Woodstock or Gimme shelter? Woodstock was fantastic but "Gimme Shelter" was what really happened.
How about The Who's "Fantastic Journey"? that's a film that's really made great, & made fantastic? I have friends that say it's the best of all time.
18th March 2008 10:12 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
How about The Who's "Fantastic Journey"? that's a film that's really made great, & made fantastic? I have friends that say it's the best of all time.

'Amazing Journey' - and it is.

18th March 2008 10:39 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I used to love getting all ripped up and watch that crazy Neil Young movie with the giant tuing forks and shit.

Also the first few minutes of animation in the Greatful Dead movie were worth the price of admission.

That Talking Heads movie is great too.
I saw that tour on mushrooms at SPAC in Saratoga.

I have 3 brain cells left...

I'll see your 3 brain cells and raise you half a synapse...
18th March 2008 11:06 PM
MrPleasant My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)