ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Memphis officials want their MTV (NSC) Return to archive
03-23-04 11:35 AM
Martha Entertainment �03/23/2004��07:52:01�EST
Memphis Wants to Host MTV Awards Show
By The Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Memphis officials want their MTV.

The city would spend about $500,000 for police, fire and emergency services if the MTV Video Music Awards were held in Memphis this fall, the lead recruiter on the project said recently.

Rey Flemings, president and chief executive officer of the Memphis and Shelby County Music Commission, said that amount should represent the total public investment required to land the televised awards ceremony.

Mayor Willie Herenton has committed to provide free police, fire and emergency services for the event if MTV decides to hold it in Memphis.

The cable channel says it hasn't made a decision about the location for this year's show, tentatively scheduled for early September.

If MTV selects Memphis, Flemings estimated the event would generate spending "north of $30 million" within the community.

Several City Council members have said they support Herenton's decision to offer free services for MTV, just as the city did for the Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson heavyweight boxing match in 2002.

___

On the Net:

http://www.memphismusic.org/index2.htm

http://www.mtv.com/

03-23-04 11:39 AM
jb
03-23-04 02:45 PM
Martha Memphis is hosting a year long celebration regarding the history of Rock and Roll. I gotta find the article and post more about that.

Do you like Memphis jb? I sure do!

I'm goin' to Graceland........
03-23-04 02:54 PM
jb Memphis is great..lots of great blues clubs...
03-23-04 03:21 PM
Martha Let's go!
03-23-04 03:24 PM
jb I wish I could...I am chronic pain 24/7 and just hope eventually it goes away.
03-23-04 04:04 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
I wish I could...I am chronic pain 24/7 and just hope eventually it goes away.

jb, is it your back?

Can you sleep and are you in PT yet? What meds aere you on?

I suggest you try drinking green tea everyday..it has anti-inlammatroy properties and it helped me when my leg hurt constantly the entire month of December.
03-23-04 04:05 PM
Martha Ooooops.....I meant to type..."inflammatory properties"!
03-23-04 04:09 PM
jb Back and right flank...Phy. Therapy not helping....meds(celebrex. bextra not helping)....Perkoset helping a little...
03-23-04 05:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Memphis is great..lots of great blues clubs...

Yeah. I'll bet it's a great town. I've had it in my head to do the Highway 61 road trip for quite awhile now. Take 3 months and just meander up the Mississippi. Start in cajun country and travel north. 2 summers ago I almost did it from New Orleans hitchhiking, but that's no fun for an old man. But I thought about it.
03-23-04 05:15 PM
BILL PERKS WHAT DOES MTV HAVE TO DO WITH ROCK?JB -HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON..IF NOT, I CAN CALL DR. MENGELE FOR YOU.
03-23-04 05:15 PM
Joey " Ooooops.....I meant to type..."inflammatory properties"! "

Martha ..................................

You Make Joey smile .

03-23-04 05:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WHAT DOES MTV HAVE TO DO WITH ROCK?

0000000.00876 But it does teach kids that bad taste is cool. I suppose that is an accomplishment of sorts.
03-23-04 06:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot From what I understand most of Beale St and the "Blues" clubs are mostly tourist traps.

White guys playing white blues for white tourists, whilst charging too much for mediocre food & watered down drinks.

Even so, I'd like to hang out on Beale St once, just to say I did. I'd also like to do the whole Elvis sightseeing thing. I'd even buy me a jumpsuit & wig.
03-23-04 06:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
From what I understand most of Beale St and the "Blues" clubs are mostly tourist traps.

Sure I'll bet they are too...BUT WTF....one uses a little bit of common sense, asks a few questions and gets directions and I'd bet the place ROCKS.
03-23-04 10:28 PM
Martha Shit yes! Memphis does ROCK! Graceland is fantastic....when walk in and see all those gold albums you understand even if you weren't around or sheltered from it somewhat that Elvis was and is the KING! His accomplishments are pretty astonishing. And.....there's Sun Studios SS...it is absolutely a must tour. You'd have fun in Memphis.....I just know it! :-)

BEST VIEWED HIGH