ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis' scottish ancestry article Return to archive
03-23-04 05:49 AM
fmk438j McElvis's roots revealed

March 23, 2004 - 12:32PM

A Scottish hamlet is at the root of rock n' roll - the home of Elvis Presley's ancestors, it has been revealed.

The Elvis link was uncovered by Allan Morrison, 61, of Greenock, who, as a writer, started looking into Presley's past six years ago after hearing rumours of his Scottish ancestry.

He said: "I was able to trace his origins, and when they got back to Lonmay, it was like striking gold."

His research found that the singer was the direct descendant of a blacksmith, who lived 300-years ago in Lonmay in Aberdeenshire.

According to Mr Morrison, his family can be tracked back to an Andrew Presley of Lonmay, whose son emigrated to America at the time of the Jacobite rebellion.

Mr Morrison's genealogical research traced the Presley family from its humble Scottish roots through eight generations and discovered ancestors who fought in the American Wars of Independence and the Civil War.

His investigation linked Lonmay parish registers with records of American families held near Tampa, Florida, by the Church of the Latter Day Saints.

Mr Morrison found parish records of an Andrew Presley, who married Elspeth Leg in Lonmay in 1713.

It was their son Andrew, who left Scotland for America in 1745 and settled in North Carolina.

His son, also called Andrew, fought for George Washington against the British in the Wars of Independence.

His grandson was also a soldier who fought for, and deserted, the Confederate Army in the Civil War.

Another colourful character was Elvis's great grandmother Rosella Presley, a keen churchgoer who had 10 children out of wedlock.

One of her grandsons was Elvis's father Vernon Elvis Presley, who married Gladys Love Smith.

She gave birth to the rock'n'roll star on January 8, 1935, in Tupelo, Mississippi.

Strung out across fields and farms, Lonmay is a collection of mainly stone bungalows, with no shop.

Pam Hall, a resident, said: "It's an isolated spot, miles from anywhere, with marvellous sunsets and big blue skies.

"There's a post office about three miles away and our big shops are at least six miles off.

"It's a quite idyllic, forgotten corner of the world, with wetlands full of unique birdlife.

"I'm astonished - and a little disturbed that Elvis had his roots here. I enjoy some of his music, but I'm more a fan of Ray Charles and Wilson Pickett."

She went on: "But we're opening a bed and breakfast in our old stone house after Easter, and anyone - Elvis impersonators or whatever - would be very welcome to stay."

Andrew Buchan, an elder of the parish church who pored over dusty books and ancient documents, said: "I've found a George Leg, whose wife was Jean Buchan, who lived here in 1696. It is likely that Elspeth Leg was their daughter."

Mr Morrison, who has published nine books, has written a novel based on his research into the singer's roots.

The book, which has yet to be published, is a fictitious account of the life of the Andrew Presley who left Lonmay for America.

The revelation was backed by locals. Jim Presly, who lives in the nearby village of Oldmeldrum, said: "I definitely think there is some truth in this as there are lots of Presleys from this area."

Elvis died, a bloated figure full of drugs, at his Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee on August 16, 1977.

Curiously, Scotland was the only piece of UK soil Presley ever stepped on.

On March 3, 1960, when he was returning home after his stint with the US Army in Germany, he made a two-hour stopover at Prestwick Airport.

03-23-04 10:30 AM
jb Elvis Presley News - ... Now because Elvis Jewish heritage ran uninterrupted down through his maternal grandmothers according to Jewish law Elvis Aron Presley would be considered Jewish ...
http://www.elvispresleynews.com/article1097.html
03-23-04 10:45 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Elvis Presley News - ... Now because Elvis Jewish heritage ran uninterrupted down through his maternal grandmothers according to Jewish law Elvis Aron Presley would be considered Jewish ...

Elvis Preslystein?

Was "little Elvis" circumcized?
03-23-04 10:59 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Elvis Preslystein?

Was "little Elvis" circumcized?

Burning Love
03-23-04 01:58 PM
Gazza >Elvis Presley News - ... Now because Elvis Jewish heritage ran uninterrupted down through his maternal grandmothers according to Jewish law Elvis Aron Presley would be considered Jewish ...

according to "Elvis What Happened" (ie the infamous tell-all "bodyguard book"), Elvis wasn't actually too fond of you guys either!

03-23-04 02:10 PM
jb He didn't like his own kind?
03-23-04 02:22 PM
Gazza you mean First Assembly Church of God? LOL
03-23-04 06:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot My Gram was born and raised in Glasgow.
03-23-04 07:19 PM
Cardinal Fang Sirmoonie and I are also of Scot ancestry.

My Great Grandparents came from Aberdeen.

I am from Clan MacKay and Sirmoonie is from Clan MacLeod I'm pretty sure that Elvis is probably Clan Ronald McDonald's (ba dump bump).

When I met Sirmoonie I brought with me a Scot Clan book to show him our heritage and first off we learned that Clan MacKay and Clan MacLeod's territories border each other up north and the two Clan's inter-married (a LOT !!) and thus we concluded that Sirmoonie and I are probably related somehow !! Then the second thing we did was get drunk.

MANU FORTI !!

Later, Jimmy

P.S. Yes, I DO go to the Highland Flings every year (or sometimes every 2 out of 3 years) I take my Grandma with me and I wear my kilt. No, I don't eat hagus !! lol
03-23-04 07:31 PM
gypsy Hey, CF! How's you-know-who? Tell her "hello" from me.

I miss sirmoonie.
03-23-04 07:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot My Gram's maiden name was Gardiner.

I have my Great Grandad's kilt somewhere. Might be in my Uncle John's attic.
03-23-04 07:41 PM
LadyJane SS...we'd like a photo of you in said kilt posted promptly in the "Show us your faces thread".

LJ.
03-23-04 08:05 PM
polksalad69
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
McElvis's roots revealed

March 23, 2004 - 12:32PM

Elvis died, a bloated figure full of drugs, at his Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee on August 16, 1977.

What's the source? How come these "stories" don't have citations?

Ronnie's nose, Elvis' dead bloated body. Great work.
03-23-04 08:38 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
My Gram's maiden name was Gardiner.

I have my Great Grandad's kilt somewhere. Might be in my Uncle John's attic.

Hey !!

You are more than 99 percent likely from Clan Gordon. The tartan on your Grandad's kilt would look EXACTLY like one of these:

http://www.lindaclifford.com/Gordon.html

I'm in the begining stages of organizing a summer east coast tour and of course I'll be in Philly (and probably crashing in your basement !!) I'll keep you posted when it becomes more solid and I know more. I expect you to whip out the Uke too !!

Gypsy !! I will tell "She" that you said "Hey" the next time I see or talk to her, I "swear to god" : - )
I liked that video you sent her about the Stones women. I also liked the picture of your friend's hog too. Be good and be bad at the same time !!

Now I Gotta Jet

Later, Jimmy :-)

03-23-04 08:45 PM
gypsy LJ, Howe bad do you want to see SS in a kilt?
03-23-04 09:50 PM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:
LJ, Howe bad do you want to see SS in a kilt?

As bad as YOU...LMAO.

You don't fool me, girlfriend!

LJ.

gyps..have you ever clicked on that stupid Howe military link??

03-23-04 11:01 PM
Dead Flower Cardinal Fang you will always be the man! I got a few of your messages. Very weird indeed!
03-24-04 04:14 PM
gypsy LJ, I have...and I do not want to click on it again. I think, however, if anyone on this board has sons, it would be a nice little threat...like, "I'll send you to Howe if you don't straighten up!"
03-24-04 04:16 PM
jb Gypsy, my dear, I had a testicular ultra-sound performed by a male nurse today.
[Edited by jb]
03-24-04 04:18 PM
gypsy I read that on a previous thread, jb.
Did you get an erection?
03-24-04 04:20 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I read that on a previous thread, jb.
Did you get an erection?

No...it took about 15 minutes...a little embarrassing with that blue gel shit all over my balls...but the doctor said I had "good" testicles.
03-24-04 04:27 PM
gypsy Hmmm. Wonder what he meant by "good." Healthy? Nice shape?
Does Joey have "good" testicles?
03-24-04 04:29 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Hmmm. Wonder what he meant by "good." Healthy? Nice shape?
Does Joey have "good" testicles?

I think so.....He said the 'lump" I felt was my epididymis(sic)?
03-24-04 04:34 PM
Joey " Hmmm. Wonder what he meant by "good." Healthy? Nice shape?
Does Joey have "good" testicles "

My right nut has a varicose vein on it !

Developing ............................

Shiver ..........................

Jazzy !
03-24-04 05:27 PM
glencar Dear Joshy:

Why all the tests?

Signed,

Nervously Concerned...
03-24-04 05:28 PM
Gazza >Hmmm. Wonder what he meant by "good." Healthy? Nice shape?

good = more than one and less than three.
03-24-04 05:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Egad!

It seems that I have egg on my face.

I just got off the phone with my Gram. I was gonna go get the kilt and post a pic. But it seems that a few years ago I told my Gram that it was OK for her to send the kilt to my second cousin who lives in Woburn. I don't remember anything about it, but, you know, I don't remember lots of stuff.

So, I have no kilt. Kiltless. Sans kilt. Kilt nyet.

I should get one though...Clan Gordon you say? That doesn't make Jeff Gordon my cousin or anything does it? What about Confederate General John Gordon? Gordon Gano?

If you end up coming east this summer...we gotta hit the C.F. Martin factory.....and the Yuengling brewery
03-24-04 05:59 PM
gypsy I think your gram has Alzheimer's...and she gave YOUR kilt away by mistake. No nice retirement home for her...send her to Howe.
03-24-04 06:16 PM
SheRat HI gypsy! Hope you're enjoying your new schedule!

Boys in kilts is ALWAYS a good thing. Even if they are old washed up dudes like CF and SS. (insert malevolent elf grin here) I also like to see them sucking on those phallic bagpipes. Can we get a pic of you guys in kilts making the donut face?

I miss sirmoonie too!

Love & Cool Whip,
SheRat

BEST VIEWED HIGH