ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: jerry lee header Return to archive
03-22-04 12:20 AM
stonedinaustralia unfortunately,i've never seen or heard this performance

what was it like - what songs did they do????

TIA
03-22-04 12:43 AM
polksalad69 What's the deal in the photo? Who's pissed at whom? And Dick is trying to calm them down.
03-22-04 12:47 AM
parmeda Here, SIA...found this little tidbit for ya

In 1983, Keith was hand-picked by Lewis to participate in a Dick Clark-sponsored TV special celebrating the Killer. Keith gave a great performance as background vocalist and guitarist. His licks were really good on songs like Lewis' Whole Lotta Shakin' and a cover of Hank Williams' Your Cheatin' Heart. Check it out if you can find it. Ronnie also played with Lewis a few times in the mid-to-late 1980s.

"Jerry Lee, what a gent... I've been listening to him since Crazy Arms. He's part of my stable diet. As necessary as vegetables are." -- Keith Richards, 1983
03-22-04 12:51 AM
stonedinaustralia parmeda - thanks for that

polksalad - good question - keith looks a little pissed - but then it looks like DC is touching him on the hand which would be enough to get me pissed off
03-22-04 12:58 AM
polksalad69
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

polksalad - good question - keith looks a little pissed - but then it looks like DC is touching him on the hand which would be enough to get me pissed off

haha, very true
03-22-04 01:09 AM
stonedinaustralia btw - whose heard keith do jerry lee's "she still comes around"?? - from the toronto tapes (i think)- it's a beauty, just keith doing piano and vocals - keith is so under-appreciated as a piano player - in fact, in some ways,i think he's a better pianist than guitarist - he certainly has a great touch
03-22-04 05:38 AM
Helmut From Nico's website http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm

830716A 16th July: JERRY LEE LEWIS. US TV (MCA) �Salute!�, Los Angeles.
Host: Dick Clark.
- interview with KR, Jerry Lee Lewis and Mick Fleetwood
- Your Cheatin� Heart (Hank Williams)
- Little Queenie (Chuck Berry)
- High School Confidential (Jerry Lee Lewis/Ron Hargrave) -Gary Busey on lead vocals
- Whole Lotta Shakin� Goin� On (Dave Williams/Sonny David) & reprise
Note: Telecast on the 25th September.
Line-up: KR (gtr, voc)/Jerry Lee Lewis (voc, p)/Mick Fleetwood (dr)/and others
03-22-04 07:26 AM
Mathijs This footage of JLL with Keith will forever remain one of my all time favourite Keith moments. On this Keith shows why he was the best ever rythm guitarist, and why he was named riff-hard. A joy to watch over and over!

Mathijs
03-22-04 03:41 PM
jb I specifically remember Dick Clark appearing on the Merv Griffin show in the late 70's(I was a latch key child and after school watched "The Guiding Light"-who can forget the great Alan Spaulding and manipulatively evil Roger and the Merv Griffin show which followed immediately thereafter) and he told Merv he had every major band on his show except one (the Stones) as he would never allow them to appear b/c of their negative image and drug use...even then, I laughed knowing the Stones would never appear on that lame ass "Bandstand" show.

[Edited by jb]
03-22-04 03:51 PM
Joey " I specifically remember Dick Clark appearing on the Merv Griffin show in the late 70's(I was a latch key child and after school watched "The Guiding Light"-who can forget the great Alan Spaulding and manipulatively evil Roger and the Merv Griffin show "

I was NOT a Latchkey child but my parents always allowed us kids to watch " Guiding Light " but NEVER Merv ................

.....................something about his weight .
03-22-04 03:54 PM
jb Merv was actually much thinner back then..he had Orson Welles on all the time as well as a husband and wife team, Dirk ? , who told us the secrets on how to live longer.
03-22-04 03:55 PM
Joey " Merv was actually much thinner back then..he had Orson Welles on all the time as well as a husband and wife team, Dirk ? , who told us the secrets on how to live longer. "

What about Gore Vidal ?!?!?!

Shiver .......................................
03-22-04 03:57 PM
jb Indeed...as well as Vidal Sassoon.
03-22-04 04:03 PM
Joey " Indeed...as well as Vidal Sassoon. "

You make Joey smile .

03-22-04 05:01 PM
Gazza >This footage of JLL with Keith will forever remain one of my all time favourite Keith moments. On this Keith shows why he was the best ever rythm guitarist, and why he was named riff-hard. A joy to watch over and over!

You got that right.

I love the interview too. Clark suggests what the all-star band should play, asks Keith does he like Hank Williams to which Keith responds in the understatement of the year;
..." I can get behind it!" - cue a gorgeous "Your Cheatin' Heart".

A GREAT broadcast. Every home should have a copy.
03-22-04 05:29 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

A GREAT broadcast. Every home should have a copy.

that sounds damn straight...

can anybody help me get a hold of one???

TIA
03-22-04 06:04 PM
corgi37 Dick Clark is quite simply not human. He wouldnt have the Stones on his woeful show due to their "negative image", but had Cheech and Chong on! He is so lame. So white. Too bad he's also so powerful. How can you Yanks tolerate him. Oh, hang on, we have Molly Meldrum.
03-22-04 07:46 PM
Riff-Hard-Fan The Header...looks like "Dickie" is trying to keep Keith from Punching the shit outa somebody! Go for it Keef! LOL
03-22-04 11:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl To honor this thread, the killer and a recent thread about a band I liked a lot but don't like anymore I'm gonna make another header of the same jam

btw, this was the first header

With Jerry Lee Lewis and Dick Clark
MCA Studios, Los �ngeles, CA - July 16, 1983
Richard Aaron
03-23-04 12:23 AM
Bloozehound I love these two's rendition of "Little Queenie" it kicks so much arse.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-23-04 12:46 AM
T&A I remember watching this on the tube about 2 months before getting my first vcr - haven't seen it since. My recollections are that Keith was very very good on this. Surprisingly so, as I recall...
03-23-04 04:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

that sounds damn straight...
TIA

Me too, me too! I just NEED to watch this, and today's header gets me even more anxious. Anyone out there?
03-23-04 09:27 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Mine is a beta format copy with very low sound quality, the video is acceptable. So I'm in in the list of those wanting it
03-23-04 11:28 AM
jb Dutch Rik recently saw Jerry Lee and was very disappointed if I recall.
03-23-04 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ...adn this one was the second header, again with thanks to Richard

MCA Studios, Los �ngeles, CA - July 16, 1983
Richard Aaron
03-23-04 11:43 PM
polksalad69
quote:
jb wrote:
Dutch Rik recently saw Jerry Lee and was very disappointed if I recall.

Not suprising at all. He was in Scotland recently too.

BEST VIEWED HIGH