ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod the Mod in SJ Friday night Return to archive
03-21-04 12:22 PM
T&A ...not a bad show at, so long as you know what to expect. Observations:

1) Rod's still got the pipes and the moves. Kudos for man pushing 60...

2) A Rod crowd is sort of a flip-side of a Stones crowd: At a Stones show it's generally a case of the guy draggin' the girl to the show; at a Rod show, the women drag their men to it (generalization).

3) Highlights for this Faces fan were predictable: Stay With Me and Ooh La La - both delivered spot-on!

4) Rod is meticilous with his stage designs (two of 'em in this case - one for the rock'n'roll set, the second for the standards). Both were ultra-cool and added significantly to the enjoyment of the show.

5) After 30-plus years of going to rock concerts, I thought I'd seen it all...but I enjoyed something I hadn't seen: During the instrumental break on Stay with Me, Rod demonstrated his soccer acumen. The roadies toss about 25-30 soccer balls at him and he showed his ball-handling (ahem! - actually I have seen Mick do a variation on this!) skills before deliverying them into targeted areas of the crowd - including the far reaches of the arena. Very cool, interactive idea (has he done this on past tours?).

03-21-04 12:46 PM
UGot2Rollme T&A,
Rod's been doing the soccer ball routine for quite some time.

A buddy of mine saw him at MSG - said that Rod is drawing a new, cane-toting demographic due to his latest cover CD's, but also said that he still rocked quite well. Of course the highlight was Ronnie be Good coming out for Stay with Me - extended solo egged on by Rod.
03-22-04 12:33 AM
parmeda I am so pleased you enjoyed Rod's show T&A.
(I thought I'd be the only one around these parts that could honestly admit the same, lol)
The first time I had seen him was eons ago, I was 19...and yes, the soccer balls were a huge part of his act.
I didn't know what to expect last month when I saw him and I am very glad that I went! Rod was right on his mark all night long. The duel-stage thing was very impressive that his set list complimented the experience. Hey, what did you think of the sistah's he had for backups and the two he had playing in the band? My favorite moment was when he walked down those stairs with his tuxedo on...*sigh*

I'm glad you had a good time
03-22-04 12:42 AM
polksalad69
quote:
T&A wrote:
1) Rod's still got the pipes and the moves. Kudos for man pushing 60...

How old is BB King? He can still sing but Bobby Blue Bland can't so whatever???

I don't get it??? Fleetwood Mac, Rod, who's next?

BEST VIEWED HIGH