ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Phillie's Vets Stadium a pile of rubble today Return to archive
03-21-04 09:30 AM
crb69 I saw my first Stones concert there in 1989. The second show of the Steel Wheels Tour. Everyone sang along with almost every song; I can't belive they tore it down. The First Union Center next door is cool too. Saw the boys No Security show there in '99. They have a cool bar with an adjoining cigar room............Ah the memories. I still can't believe they only played one stadium gig in NYC on the Licks run. I'll be there at MSG again; Mick you promised!
03-21-04 09:45 AM
UGot2Rollme many memories of the Vet for me, too. Seeing the Phils for 50 cents general admission, many Eagles games, only concert I saw there was Genesis. The Stones shows I attended in Philly were at JFK (long gone)
03-21-04 10:40 AM
mac_daddy when it went, it sure looked cool, though (moving slowly around in a circle like that)...

go here, and then click the link that says "Video: Watch the implosion."

[Edited by mac_daddy]
03-21-04 11:55 AM
marko Are they building a new one?
03-21-04 12:42 PM
UGot2Rollme Marko - see last paragraph
-----------------------
PHILADELPHIA'S VETERAN'S STADIUM IMPLODED

By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - Veterans Stadium was reduced to a pile of rubble in just more than a minute on Sunday, as two honorary imploders pushed a symbolic plunger.

About 3,000 pounds of explosives took down the old concrete home of the Philadelphia Phillies (news) and Eagles, section by section in a clockwise direction as loud booms rang out.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you just witnessed history," team announcer Dan Baker told the cheering crowd of several hundred people.

Former Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, a member of the 1980 World Series (news - web sites) team, and the Phillie Phanatic pushed the ceremonial red plunger as the explosions began.

The Vet, home to the Phillies and the Eagles for more than 30 years, imploded on schedule at 7 a.m.

A large area around the sports complex in South Philadelphia was closed off, and airspace above the stadium was restricted to a 1,500-foot elevation for a quarter-mile radius during the implosion.

Once the dust settles, workers will begin breaking down the concrete pieces, which will amount to 70,000 cubic yards of material. Contractors will be recycling debris on the site until July, and the spot will eventually serve as a 5,500-space parking lot.

The Phillies plan to paint an outline of the Vet's playing field across the new parking lot, and place granite markers at the former home plate, pitching mound and base locations.

New baseball-only and football-only stadiums have been built nearby to replace the Vet. The Eagles began playing in their new home, Lincoln Financial Field, last year. The Phillies played their last game at the Vet in September; their season opener in Citizens Bank Park is April 12.
03-21-04 04:10 PM
polksalad69
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
-----------------------
PHILADELPHIA'S VETERAN'S STADIUM IMPLODED

By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer

Former Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, a member of the 1980 World Series (news - web sites) team, and the Phillie Phanatic pushed the ceremonial red plunger as the explosions began.

Haha, the "Bull" pushed the plunger. He retired in Chicago. Philly, a stinky city, w/stinky white people, or so I been told.

[Edited by polksalad69]
03-21-04 04:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot Good riddance.

The Vet was a toilet bowl, except not as clean.

Hey Saladshooter...Some of what yopu say about Philly is true. Spend a day there with me and you'll overlook it. Philly is a great rock & roll town.
03-21-04 05:46 PM
quackenbush I am going to miss the Vet. Admittantly, it was big and ugly, but it had personality. You can't ring much from a Citizen Bank Park or any other ballpark named after a bank or a big company. They got no soul.

The tickets at Citizen Bank are also going to be alot more expensive then the $10 cheap seats at the Vet. And can you imagine trying to get tickets to see the Stones, because there aren't as many seats. Shit. I think almost half of the Phillies games are sold out. No more going to see the Phillies on the spur of the moment. And when I do go down there, I'll have to walk for more than a block in the blazing heat, because the train station is still near where the Vet used to be. And why oh why is the Park in South Philly? What a shitty dead area!

I'll miss the Vet.

03-21-04 10:28 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVED THE VET,SAW 6 STONES SHOWS THERE SO MANY GREAT MEMORIES,TAILGATES,PHILS GAMES,THE WHO,BOWIE..SAD SAD SAD, BUT I'M GONNA BE FINE!IT WAS A DUMP BUT IT WAS MY DUMP.
03-22-04 12:47 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Hey Saladshooter...Some of what yopu say about Philly is true. Spend a day there with me and you'll overlook it. Philly is a great rock & roll town.

That's cool, I know someone who is not a native living there that hates it. Wouldn't mind seeing the Phillies in the new park.
03-22-04 10:53 AM
Busch1 I'm a Philly res, and I agree with SirStonesalot, some of the rep here is deserved, but it's a good town overall. The Vet was a shithole, but it was OUR shithole. Most of its reptuation was well deserved as well, although I think the national sports media tends to go overboard when things happen in Philly. I mean, none of our fans ever attacked an opposing coach!
I hate the new stadiums -- over a billion dollars, mostly taxpayer money. The Phillies park should have been downtown, but the city fathers lacked the balls and brains to get it done.
Hopefully, the Stones will only do arenas from now on. Wachovia is a great venue for them. I'd hate to see them in the Linc or Citizens. Well, not hate to see them, but there are better places to play.
03-22-04 12:37 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Busch1 wrote:
I'm a Philly res, and I agree with SirStonesalot, some of the rep here is deserved, but it's a good town overall. The Vet was a shithole, but it was OUR shithole. Most of its reptuation was well deserved as well, although I think the national sports media tends to go overboard when things happen in Philly. I mean, none of our fans ever attacked an opposing coach!

What about the booing Santa thing we hear over and over?
03-22-04 12:59 PM
Joey

Goodbye all you " Cookie Cutters " stay young and stay High !

Just hand me my checkbook and I'll crawl off to die !!!!!!

Jacky Townshend !
03-22-04 01:17 PM
quackenbush
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

What about the booing Santa thing we hear over and over?

You hear about that Santa thing for the same reason you hear about the Wrinklies of Rock: Reporters are often unimaginative dolts. And let's face it, Santa was begging for it.
03-22-04 04:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, Santa is a fat fuck!

Never brought me a new fuckin bike. That asshole.

Don't forget, we also pummelled Jimmy Johnson with snowballs, and roughed up JB in his Marino jersey. So we aren't all bad.

4th & 26
03-22-04 04:40 PM
Joey

Just thinking about that Astroturf inside the Vet makes my Tendons ache .
03-22-04 04:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot The last time I was at the Vet was to see the Stones.

That is a pretty good final memory of that dump.

In '97 Keef steps up to the mic and says, "Hey Philly, good to be back....smells the same."
03-22-04 06:20 PM
Mr. D The Vet's an important place for me....first baseball and football games, and first Stones show. It's bittersweet to see it go, but it's time to move on. Citiznes Bank is an amazing baseball park....i snuck in the other day and from the looks of it, it's gonna be amazing, not a bad seat in the house.
03-22-04 07:22 PM
Busch1 "Most reporters are unimaginative dolts."

Ouch! I'm a reporter, but I can't say I disagree, at least as far as that Santa story goes. That was before my time, but I know the story pretty well. It was a pathetic skinny Santa, and that was just the icing on the cake for Eagles fans, who had endured a horrible season. I can't remember exactly what year it was, but I believe they were still in Franklin Field, so pre-1971? Anyway, the story has kind of taken on a life of its own over the years, and has gotten blown way out of proportion.
Anymore, I don't really even try to defend some of the stupid crap Philly sports fans do. But much of this national rep that we've gotten is undeserved. The Jimmy Johnson snowball incident, however, is a highlight for me. It was amazing -- snowballs raining down on and around him, and his hair didn't move!
03-22-04 11:19 PM
BILL PERKS 4TH AND 26...LOT OF GOOD IT DID THE CHOKESTERS..MY ALL TIME FAV VET MEMORY IS THE EAGLES LOSING THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP TO THE BUCS IN THEIR FINAL GAME THERE.75,000 DRUNKEN LOSERS AT THEIR LOWEST MOMENT.PRICELESS...
03-23-04 02:40 AM
UGot2Rollme Yeah, Mr Perks, we sure are a bunch of losers in Philly - made it to the NFC championship 3 years in a row - wow what a terrible team we've fielded.

Next year we will kick what ever sorry ass team you root for out of whatever fuckin ballpark we play in because we got Jevon and Terrell now babe and there "ain't no stopping us now!"
03-23-04 12:56 PM
Busch1 Shows what you know Perks. The Vet only held about 66,000 people for football!
I can't jump to the defense of the Eagles after what they've done to this city the last three years. The fans, drunken or not, are the victims. I guess calling us losers is supposed to be an insult or something. It obviously took a lot of thought for you to come up with that line. Of course, maybe you are qualified to comment on that. Seems you have a pretty good idea of what being a loser is all about!
03-23-04 01:06 PM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
4TH AND 26...LOT OF GOOD IT DID THE CHOKESTERS..MY ALL TIME FAV VET MEMORY IS THE EAGLES LOSING THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP TO THE BUCS IN THEIR FINAL GAME THERE.75,000 DRUNKEN LOSERS AT THEIR LOWEST MOMENT.PRICELESS...

Bill Perks
03-23-04 01:41 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Busch1 wrote:
Shows what you know Perks. The Vet only held about 66,000 people for football!
I can't jump to the defense of the Eagles after what they've done to this city the last three years. The fans, drunken or not, are the victims. I guess calling us losers is supposed to be an insult or something. It obviously took a lot of thought for you to come up with that line. Of course, maybe you are qualified to comment on that. Seems you have a pretty good idea of what being a loser is all about!

I LIVE IN PHILLY AND HATE THE IGGLES CAUSE THE FANS ARE THE STUPIDEST ON THE PLANET-JETS FANS ARE A CLOSE SECOND.
03-23-04 01:47 PM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I LIVE IN PHILLY AND HATE THE IGGLES CAUSE THE FANS ARE THE STUPIDEST ON THE PLANET-JETS FANS ARE A CLOSE SECOND.

03-23-04 07:47 PM
Busch1 Perks, Eagles fans can be very obnoxious, no doubt, but many t over-zealous sports fans come off that way. Philly probably just has more than most towns. I think a championship would cure some of this. It will never happen, though.
03-23-04 11:27 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Busch1 wrote:
Perks, Eagles fans can be very obnoxious, no doubt, but many t over-zealous sports fans come off that way. Philly probably just has more than most towns. I think a championship would cure some of this. It will never happen, though.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN
03-23-04 11:39 PM
polksalad69
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
Yeah, Mr Perks, we sure are a bunch of losers in Philly - made it to the NFC championship 3 years in a row - wow what a terrible team we've fielded.

Try being a Chicago baseball fan. Talk about losers. At least the music is good.

BEST VIEWED HIGH