ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Waylon Jennings (nsc) Return to archive
03-20-04 09:12 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Yesterday I went out and bought 4 cassettes. (I'm an old fogie, I don't even own a cd player, never have...but I'm moving in that direction. LOL.) At any rate I got Cream, Blonde on Blonde, Roy Orbison and Waylon Jennings.

But the thing is that after almost 24 hours of messing about listening to the tapes, it's the Jennings one that I keep coming back to. Am I just a sentimental old fool or is it that Waylon Jennings was a genius? I'm so sorry he died a bit early but he could have died in that plane crash real early. I think he always felt guilty about that.
03-20-04 09:28 AM
parmeda Dude.
No decent stereo.
Haven't seen a Stones show as of yet.
You have issues...

But, you're dead on target with the Waylon thing!
I hope at the very least you bought The Ramblin' Man.
03-20-04 09:37 AM
nankerphelge Wow!

I held out on a CD player until '93 or something and I always thought I was the last hold-out!

TTM, I heard some guy up in Maine tried to nail his crazy ass to a cross after watching The Passion (which seems to be quite popular and could be the highest grossing movie of all time and will probably allow the great Mel Gibson to produce more epic movies).

03-20-04 09:38 AM
M.O.W.A.T. The Dukes of Hazzard Theme

by Waylon Jennings

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born

Staightnin' the curves
Flatnin the hills
Someday the mountain might get 'em
But the law never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow.

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow.

I'm a good ol' boy
You know my momma loves me
But she don't undestand
They keep a showin my hands and not my face on TV

OH YEA

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
03-20-04 10:08 AM
glencar Didn't Waylon do the music for "Ned Kelly?"
03-20-04 10:09 AM
parmeda Hay Nank...maybe we shouldn't be so hard on the guy...he does have a computer ya know! He's doing things in reverse.
Sorry, TTM
03-20-04 10:11 AM
Fiji Joe Waylon Jennings...country music's Keith Richards
03-20-04 10:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Dude.
No decent stereo.
Haven't seen a Stones show as of yet.
You have issues...

But, you're dead on target with the Waylon thing!
I hope at the very least you bought The Ramblin' Man.

Ramblin' Man? No this is a "greatest hits" type collection.

1. Only Daddy that'll Walk the Line
2. Good Hearted Woman
3. Amanda
4. (I'm a) Ramblin' Man
5. Clyde
6. I Don't Want to Get Over You
7. Lucille
8. Dukes of Hazard Theme
9. Luckenbach Texas
10. Just To Satisfy You (w/Willie)

I've been driving my self wild trying to figure out the "subtext". Maybe it's the "simplicity"? I always liked Jennings but I can't put my finger on what exactly turns me on about his songs. Maybe I'm not supposed to. LOL.
03-20-04 11:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Amanda Lyrics

I've held it all inward, God knows, I've tried,
But it's an awful awakening in a country boy's life,
To look in the mirror in total surprise.
At the hair on my shoulders and the age in my eyes.

Amanda, light of my life.
Fate should have made you a gentleman's wife.

It's a measure of people who don't understand,
The pleasures of life in a hillbilly band.
I got my first guitar when I was fourteen,
Now I'm over thirty and still wearing jeans.

03-20-04 03:37 PM
Bloozehound waylon is the hoss

your affection for Waylor is simple
it's his voice
that cats got attitude and authority in that voice
he's done it all and lived to tell about it
and u trust every word, due to his sincerity
03-20-04 04:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels (Well this piece is a bit dated but a good read. Hosed it off his website. www.waylon.com more good stuuff there)

Waylon Jennings is one of a handful of towering figures behind the phenomenal success that country music is enjoying today. At a time when country's audience easily embraces diversity and when platinum albums are getting to be more and more common, Waylon stands as a true forerunner. He was among the first to pull north and south, rural and city, college kids and blue collar workers into a unified movement and was the first, both as a solo artist and on the collaboration "Wanted: The Outlaws," to go platinum as a country artist.

Modern Country music owes much of its broad-based appeal and rugged individualism to Waylon, a man whose career stretches from the mid-'50s, when he was a prot�g� of Buddy Holly, through four decades whose music he has helped shape. He has influenced instrumental and vocal styles, shaped attitudes and launched major trends, all by staying true to himself and his vision.

Along the way, he has won Grammies and CMA awards while connecting with his audience in a way that few have, becoming one of the industry's true all-time legends in the process.

Born in 1937 in Littlefield, Texas, he grew up listening to folk songs and the music of seminal artists like Jimmie Rodgers and later, to singers that ranged from Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb and Webb Pierce to B.B. King and Bobbie "Blue" Bland. He was a disc jockey at 14, and had already formed his own band at the age of 12, making guest appearances on local station KDAV's "Sunday Party," where he met Holly in 1955.

"Mainly what I learned from Buddy," Waylon says, "was an attitude. He loved music, and he taught me that it shouldn't have any barriers to it."

Holly produced Waylon's first record and used him as a bass player -- it was Waylon who gave up his seat to the Big Bopper on the plane that would crash, killing Holly and Ritchie Valens as well. By the early- to mid- '60s, Waylon was headlining a club called JD's in Phoenix, putting out a sound that combined his "chicken-picken" Telecaster guitar style, with his rough-edged, soulful vocals and an eclectic repertoire that often borrowed from rock and rockabilly.

This combination was as popular as it was groundbreaking
"We got long-haired people, lawyers, doctors, and all the cowboys," he says. Word got around, and after a short stint at Herb Alpert's A&M Records, he was signed to RCA by Chet Atkins.

By 1968, he had hit the top five with "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line" and "Walk On Out Of My Mind," and a year later he won a Grammy for a version of "MacArthur Park." He also recorded with the Kimberleys, and recorded several songs for the soundtrack album of "Ned Kelly," a feature film starring Mick Jagger.

Still, the Nashville "system," in which producers often stamped their own ideas and formulas onto artists, was something Waylon was struggling against mightily.

"Every business has its system that works for 80 percent of the people who are in it," he says, "but there's always that other 20 percent who just don't fit in. That's what happened to me, and it happened to Johnny Cash, and it happened to Willie Nelson. We just couldn't do it the way it was set up. It wasn't until I started producing my own records and using my own musicians and working with people who understood what I was about that I first started having any real success."

When it came, though, it came hard and heavy. Albums like 1973's "Lonesome, On'ry and Mean" and 1974's "This Time," which he co-produced with Willie Nelson, caught the attention of critics outside of country circles and reasserted him as one of the genre's truly innovative stylists. He also teamed up with Nelson for the first of the Fourth of July picnics in Texas that solidified the demographic mix that would turn into country's modern audience.

In 1975, Waylon was named the Country Music Association's Male Vocalist of the Year, and in 1976, he helped found a movement that would change the face of country.

In that year, Waylon, Willie, Jessi Colter (who married Waylon in 1969) and Tompall Glaser teamed up for "Wanted: The Outlaws" that became the first platinum (one million units) album ever recorded in Nashville. It also helped Waylon and Willie sweep that year's CMA Awards, winning Best Album, Best Single and Best Vocal Duo (for "Good Hearted Woman").

This period found Waylon hitting Billboard's Number One singles spot with song after song, from 1974's "This Time" through "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way," "Luckenbach, Texas," "Wurlitzer Prize," "I've Always Been Crazy," "Amanda," "Ain't Living Long Like This," and "Just to Satisfy You," among other. In 1978, he won his second Grammy for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group for "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboy," with Willie Nelson.

His albums were great chart and sales successes as well, with eight consecutive LP's going gold (there have been 13 altogether). "Ol' Waylon," released in 1977 became the first country album by a solo artists to go platinum, and Greatest Hits, two years later, entered uncharted territory by going quadruple platinum.

Waylon continued to cross barriers and bridge gaps musically. "Never Could Toe the Mark" became the first country album to premier on Showtime's "Album Flash," and his "audiography," and autobiographical record and one-man Broadway-style show called "A Man Called Hoss" were true milestones.

He has released a children's album, "Cowboys, Sisters, Rascals & Dirt," and has spoken to schoolchildren about the importance of staying in school. A 10th grade dropout, Waylon successfully completed studies for his GED in 1989, and has been a spokesperson for that program.

In 1993, RCA Records assembled a 40-song retrospective boxed set called "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line: The RCA Years," celebrating Waylon's 20 years on the label from 1965 to 1985. Admiring the respect and care, which he was accorded in the collection, Waylon re-signed with RCA in the fall of 1994 to record "Waymore's Blues (Part II)," with Don Was producing. In 1996, RCA issued a Twentieth Anniversary edition of "Wanted: The Outlaws."

Waylon has been highly visible on other recorded projects as well. He recorded a duet with Neil Diamond on "One Good Love," which was part of Diamond's "Tennessee Moon" album and recorded a track with Mark Knopfler for the tribute "Notfadeaway: Remembering Buddy Holly" for Decca Records. Another example of his enduring diversity was when he joined the Lollapalooza tour in 1996, performing several dates with Metallica, Soundgarden, and Rancid to name a few.

However, Waylon's contributions have not been confined to singing. He has been a commercial spokesperson for the Pizza Hut chain. He starred in a number of film projects, including "Stagecoach," a CBS-TV movie with the Highwaymen, "Oklahoma City Dolls," an ABC-TV movie with Eddie Albert and Susan Blakeley, "Follow That Bird," a Sesame Street movie in which Waylon played a framer. He had a cameo in the "Maverick" movie, for which he also contributed "You Don't Mess Around With Me" to the soundtrack. He also had a role on Fox-TV's "Married with Children," playing a wizened mountain prophet named Ironhead Haynes.

WAYLON, the authorized autobiography, written with writer-musician Lenny Kaye (of Patty Smith), was released on Warner Books in September 1996. In it, Waylon recalls with no-holds-barred honesty and insight, countless music biz stories -- some hilarious, and some harrowing. It's a survivor's tale that chronicles Jennings' triumphant victory over drugs, his comeback from near-bankruptcy in the 80's and his lifesaving 28 year (and still going) marriage to Jessi Colter. The book received rave reviews and hit the best seller list in numerous markets.

Currently Waylon has just finished a new album, titled "Closing in on the Fire" with Gregg Brown (of Travis Tritt) producing, and including such artists as Sheryl Crow, Carl Smith, Travis Tritt, Mary Stuart, Sting and Mark Knopfler to name a few.

Although he has known success for three decades and has long since been accorded "legendary" status, Waylon is still both highly active and highly visible. While some of the handfuls of performers who share living legend status with him have taken a back seat in recent years, Waylon continues to make his mark in several areas of show business.

His contributions to the country music industry he helped shape continue unabated. The man who has done so much to define the edge and the attitudes that are part of the parameters of country music today, remains one of the true GIANTS of this business.

Waylon has been honored by being inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-20-04 04:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

Waylon and his beautiful wife, Jesse Colter.
03-20-04 07:16 PM
glencar She did that "I'm Not Lisa" song.
03-20-04 07:35 PM
Gibbons Waylon's music is great. Jess he was a genius, but so is Billy Joe Shaver. Still wish I was in Texas.
03-20-04 09:51 PM
skeeter Here's a pic of his son- Shooter, his CD will be out this Summer

03-21-04 12:23 AM
Gibbons
quote:
skeeter wrote:
Here's a pic of his son- Shooter, his CD will be out this Summer

WHat is he in Pantera or sumptin?
03-21-04 02:36 AM
JaggaRichards Rumsfeld is really Boss Hogg!
03-22-04 08:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
TTM, I heard some guy up in Maine tried to nail his crazy ass to a cross after watching The Passion....

Yeah I heard that too. But I thought the TV news blurb said he hadn't seen The Passion. But I don't know, I didn't pay much attention to it as I was on the road most of last week. Well I guess the shrinks will have to sort him out.
03-23-04 12:19 AM
Riff-Hard-Fan I named my daughter after Waylon's song "Amanda" ...Ouch I'm telling my age? LOL
03-23-04 09:37 AM
Factory Girl TTM, go to a Stones show. Why no cd player?

03-23-04 10:28 AM
telecaster
quote:
glencar wrote:
Didn't Waylon do the music for "Ned Kelly?"

Yes. He also gave up his seat on that plane in Iowa
to Richie Valens

The day the music died
03-23-04 11:27 AM
jb The Highway Men were very good....
03-23-04 06:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
TTM, go to a Stones show. Why no cd player?

Is it really worth the money and effort? Look...if they want to sell Maine fans tickets, come to Maine. (Just Kidding)

My girlfriends got a cd player. Once I had a reasonablly nice record collection. But it flew away one day, as do most things. But my job kept me on the road for the last 15 years or so. At least until last year. Why acquire things you can't keep? My philosophy of life can be summed up in three words...ONE PACKED SUITCASE.(Well necessity of life lol, hardly a philosophy, I'm glad those days are over)

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-23-04 09:38 PM
Bloozehound The Highwaymen were great.

Ol' Waylon did a pretty snazzy version "No Expectations" on Closing In On the Fire.

BEST VIEWED HIGH