ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I'm NOT complaining...but.. Return to archive
03-18-04 08:53 PM
LadyJane WHY the apparent urgency to get out a new album and start a tour within 6 months???

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't be happier. I'm ecstatic...but it seems odd in a way, especially coming off of a massive tour like Licks.

Could it really be that they just want to be a "working" band??

Thoughts my Stonesian pals!

AND I'M NOT SUGGESTING SOMEONE IN THE BAND IS DYING!

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
03-18-04 09:08 PM
stonedinaustralia well i'm not getting too worked up about another tour - which i strongly doubt would even return down here - anyway, if i never saw the stones live again i'd still be happy with what i have seen - as a great man once said "i have been to the mountain top and i've seen the promised land"

but re a new album - well i for one am more than impatient and the talk going on in the other thread re the fact they are going back to the vaults again has really got me going

i have heard hours of this stuff on boots and the thought of an album of this material properly finished is some of the best news in a long time

so i say, bring it on and the sooner the better
03-18-04 10:48 PM
kahoosier LJ, as much as we hate to admit, they fear the reaper. There is not much time left for the guys to do mega market money making. Mick's back hurts, Keith's fingers are going, but their egos are still strong, as well as a curious force that makes the rich believe that they never have enough. Even if they never play another stadium, how many more years do you think they can fill the arenas? Now many of us that post regularly would love to see some bluesy numbers in small venues, even if the guys sit on stools.

But in the book they put out last year, they admit that they are a junkie for the adrenalin of the large venues. When Mick and Keith have to sit and play like B.B. King, they will still thrill many of us, but the arenas and stadiums will be gone. An important part of their lives will have vanished. So often we fans are so selfish, " More theaters, no more stadiums," that we forget that they like what they do, and soon will be able to it no more. So, maybe in the end, the rush is for them and not for us.
03-18-04 11:08 PM
Poplar
i think they so much as acknowledged all this at the end of the last tour. Even KEITH (who is not one to admit weakness) said the band is at a stage where resting (stopping) for an extended period of time could do more harm than good. i think the words he used were: "we need to keep the machine together at this point." something like that.

Let me try to personalize this. I'm a runner. I know that the longer i take off to rest - even when i need it - the harder it will be to get back into it, especially as i get older (ha! and i'm only 28, i'm not 60). I think the Stones know they are at a point where "stopping" may really mean "stopping."

At the same time - the fact they want to keep going is great news. they really seem focused to me, and at ease. i expect good stuff form both the album and the tour. and like all of you, i'll be savoring it. big time.

great news on the album. i'm excited. and like every time they announce new plans, i can't help but have a sincere since of pride. Hell, watching the babylon announcement i was in tears i was so proud. I'm proud of my band, and proud that they continue to defy convention.

In the end: I like it.

03-19-04 12:06 AM
glencar I'd rather have this than 7 years between new albums. It was impossible to keep up their 70's output but they rested well in the 90's.
03-19-04 12:26 AM
Maxmeister [quote]LadyJane wrote:
WHY the apparent urgency to get out a new album and start a tour within 6 months???

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't be happier. I'm ecstatic...but it seems odd in a way, especially coming off of a massive tour like Licks.

They know that any touring that's in the scope of what they've been doing the last 15 years is all but over. If this rumor is true, they're just gettin' while the gettin' is good.[And still willing and able] Shutting their machine down for any length of time would spell the end of any tours as we know them. The reality of age and the fact that several years from now, they would never be able to fill venues as they have.
Since '89 I've considered each tour their last not because of any specific reason, just that you never know the future.

Rick
03-19-04 02:04 AM
Prodigal Son They'll slow down the touring a bit, an album here or there, but this band will not run out until someone dies, sad but true.
"I'll sleep when I'm dead"
-Warren Zevon
03-19-04 02:16 AM
West 8 hey If it's unreleased,it's new to me. Even if I have some bootleg copy of "who knows what" The final cut on the new album might be totally different. I think Start Me Up was once a regea song. Brand new or leftovers I'm Happy
03-19-04 02:52 AM
FotiniD I agree with most of the views on this thread - Keith's very right about his comment that it's better to keep going than stop, they do got their junkie vein with touring (I don't think it has to do with theaters or stadiums - they just love playing in front of a crowd), there are I suppose the financial motives that I don't like discussing (don't bust the bubble) and all in all, I too like it this way.

It's fantastic that not only they're still around after all these years, but that they also love what they're doing and they're up for it and energetic and have the stamina and talent to give the best rock 'n' roll gigs there are, not becoming a nostalgia act. I often think that when the Stones will eventually be over (in about three hundred years or so hopefully ) I'll be left with the hugest musical gap of my life. I don't think there's any other band out there that can play / write music like our boys do. Enough said, I was surprised too that they made the move so fast after the last tour, but, as you say LJ, can't complain After all, a rolling stone gathers no moss!
[Edited by FotiniD]
03-19-04 02:57 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
They'll slow down the touring a bit, an album here or there, but this band will not run out until someone dies, sad but true.
"I'll sleep when I'm dead"
-Warren Zevon

The prospect of someone dying is sad.
But the fact that they'll keep going until that - I actually find it rather good. Sailing in unmapped territory, as Keith puts it - no-one's done it before.

And I don't think it's only money that moves this ship. When they're on stage, you can see it in their faces they love it. And honestly, who wouldn't?
03-19-04 08:29 AM
glencar How much money does Mick need anyway? It's the glory of the crowds that keeps them going.
03-19-04 08:36 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
glencar wrote:
How much money does Mick need anyway? It's the glory of the crowds that keeps them going.

Interesting. Although it may be true, why must they only charge prices that mostly only late 20's/early 30's to baby-boomers will pay?

Don't you think there are teens out in this world that would like to see them more than say, the White Stripes, but they can only afford to see the White Stripes because they can't find a $50 ticket (the lowest price!) that is supposedly listed on their (the Rolling Stones) itinerary?

03-19-04 08:38 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
How much money does Mick need anyway? It's the glory of the crowds that keeps them going.

Yeah, I hope it's that and, more importantly, the love for what they do, but I've been dissapointed one too many times by bands claiming "we don't care about the money" (or believed that myself without the claim ) so I'm trying to keep a more level-headed view about this...
03-19-04 08:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Interesting. Although it may be true, why must they only charge prices that mostly only late 20's/early 30's to baby-boomers will pay?

Don't you think there are teens out in this world that would like to see them more than say, the White Stripes, but they can only afford to see the White Stripes because they can't find a $50 ticket (the lowest price!) that is supposedly listed on their (the Rolling Stones) itinerary?

Very right. The thing with the prices should change - just because they have a fanbase that would save up all year long to see them on tour, doesn't mean this should be taken advantage of. I'm not sure on who really decides on ticket prices, but the fact is that they are extra-ordinarily and unbelievably LARGE, especially in America but in Europe too in some cases.

And when they rarely ever visit your country (like in my case!) you have to also add in the traveling expenses, which further decreases your chances of catching them live even once in a tour. And I don't think the prices are expensive only for teenagers.
03-19-04 08:45 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

And I don't think the prices are expensive only for teenagers.

Good point.

Hopefully one day you won't have to worry about traveling expenses and they'll play in your back yard!
03-19-04 09:26 AM
nankerphelge I would love to see a release with some vault stuff in there as long as it rocks. I don't need any crooner ballads from Keith that have been around for ages!!

And if they do take some rockin' stuff out of the vaults, they damn well better be able to play them live!!

I would like to think Mick & Keith can still write quality material together -- but I ain't holding my breath!

03-19-04 10:03 AM
glencar If they do that 3 shows per city thing, I think it'll be a good idea to buy that package deal.
03-19-04 10:42 AM
Factory Girl I do not want them to play Fed Ex ever again. They do better with arenas and clubs.

And, have the Strokes open again!
03-19-04 02:04 PM
glencar Fed Ex is a stadium, right? The arenas are fine.
03-19-04 02:18 PM
Factory Girl Fed Ex is a football stadium where the dreaded Redskins play. It has 80,000+ seats.
03-19-04 04:39 PM
SoulSurvivr In an interview this past year or 2 - keith said he had no doubt they would eventually release an Exile "out-takes" compilation - that would be cool
03-19-04 07:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >How much money does Mick need anyway?<
Plenty!

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
03-19-04 09:53 PM
LadyJane Thanks for your insights..my Stonesian friends.

Here's my take:

The Stones LOVE what they do. That was obvious throughout the Licks Tour. In fact, when it ended, all but Charlie wanted to continue. I think it was decided, then and there that a break would be short.

I agree with those who realize that time is no longer on their sides. The Stones may realize it, but will NEVER and I repeat NEVER declare a "Farewell Tour".

I see no problem with revisiting some of the unfinished tracks that exist in the infamous "vaults." It makes sense that they use this material. From what we are hearing, perhaps this was all discussed during the year and a half of Licks. Perhaps they have been working on "new" material all along.

As far as future venues, arenas and clubs make the most sense, but I'll never rule out a Stadium show. They love doing them and they can still pack a house. If anyone has any doubts about the greatness of a stadium show...see Twickenham on Four Flicks. Amazing!!

Is is for the money? Absolutely not. Are they gouging fans? If people are willing to pay, are these astute businessmen going to NOT accept the cash?? You don't make the cover of Fortune magazine without being shrewd.

I love this Band. I look forward to new material and a new Tour.

Great input from everyone. Thanks!!

LJ.

Word to Keith...If you HAVE to include a ballad, record Nearness. We long for a new Keef "rocker" as well.
03-20-04 12:01 AM
quackenbush No Way, LadyJane--Charlie Watts definitely wanted to tour. The Stones wouldn't have toured otherwise. And from almost every article that talks about the Stones motivation reports on Charlie's fondness for playing and touring with the Stones, unless the reporter is quoting Mick. He always downplays everything.
03-20-04 05:40 AM
IanBillen
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
WHY the apparent urgency to get out a new album and start a tour within 6 months???

Could it really be that they just want to be a "working" band??

Thoughts my Stonesian pals!

AND I'M NOT SUGGESTING SOMEONE IN THE BAND IS DYING!

LJ.

Well I think these are the three main reasons:
I think everyone including them are like.....
1.Hey, it has been 7 years.....isn't it about time for a new studio Stones album guys??? Lets not be Guns n Roses here. I think they realize that.
2. I don't think they want to wait because it would be a longer process to start the wheels rolling again as someone already stated.They might as well keep it going and change it up some instead of taking a whole year or two off.
3. Now since they are going to release a new Stones Album they might as well get a solid cash grossing tour while the oppurtunity is still there.
It only makes sense I suppose.
Anyone agree or disagree?
Ian

[Edited by LadyJane]

03-20-04 07:30 AM
mac_daddy I agree with you, Ian - it makes great financial sense to tour behind a new album...

_____

as for the stadiums, if they are gonna throw the fans a bone in the way of lower ticket prices, it will probably be in a larger venue...

_____

as for the tour ticket sales - I wish they would do mail order, or something. Ticketmaster/Clear Channel blow, but might be unavoidable. However, the Stones should have as much box-office clout as Phish, DMB, and Pearl Jam and TM/CC allows those acts to offer a %% of tix for each performance via mailorder. The Stones should do the same...

and that $50 registration fee that I got bilked out of last time around - only to be offered obstructed view @ Staples - was a f*cking sham. It is one thing to be "shrewd." It is an entirely different animal to rip off your fans. If I pay $50 to preregister (or whatever the hell that fee was for), I better get at least one pair of tix in fairly decent seats..

Also the scalper scum is totally rampant, esp. in large markets like Los Angeles. But I think they had help with the US Licks tour. It is curious that while an internet-savvy guy like myself, with a broadband connection, got totally shut out of tix (save the obstructed views @ Staples), every ticket broker in town had tix for the Wiltern show to offer. Ditto for Staples and Angels' stadiums...

I know the Stones organization has been talking with the Pearl Jam folks about how to do the live release thing. I hope they also talk to the PJ people about how to sell tix to the fans, not the scalpers that they peddled the US Licks tour to...

oh, I better get a preorder for paying for Keef's site.

BEST VIEWED HIGH