ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Album News......from Shidoobee. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
03-19-04 03:29 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

-TO ALL WHOM OWN OUT-TAKES-

I think the outtakes we know of are not what the Stones are
going to release ex)Honest Man, You got it Made etc. etc.
When they say vaults they mean to work up half way finished stuff or rough tracks we have never heard before....not stuff from Voodoo Brew or things like that. And I seriously doubt it will any material from The Seventies. They are way past that.

1.Keith mentioned they were recording songs on the Road.
2.Keith Still has Tunes in his basement from Paris 2002 and from the stuff on the Licks tour.
3. Then maybe 3 or 4 brand spankin new tunes they are going to use.
I think this is the deal.
Just my thoughts,
Ian

Yum, yum! That would be the best of both worlds: classic riffs and fresh recording. Hidden treasures dug up to see light at last, and new energy and inspiration following in the Licks Tour steps... Surprise, surprise? The boys could have an ace or two up their elegant sleeves!
03-19-04 03:30 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hello, Maxy. I trust the Big Apple is treating you well?

Hi Factory Mama!

I've missed you.

Everything is fine here. BUSY!

Love,

MACKY!
03-19-04 03:40 PM
Maxlugar [quote]glencar wrote:
Maxy is taking on "The Fairy from the Prairie.

You make Maxy giggle knowingly!

Do you know I sent that ungrateful prick some nice gifts recently? This after years of him reposting my material and using my catch phrases. How nice of me to think of him like that! Considering the guy has virtually become me on these boards and mocked me to no end.

Blue, you are a true friend.

03-19-04 03:44 PM
glencar Someday we'll get together for a drink or ten...
03-19-04 03:46 PM
Gazza MOWAT wrote:>I suppose if the internet had been around in '81, we would all be sitting around complaining that Tattoo You was just a bunch of outtakes thrown together also!

Its possible, but theres a slight difference. Theyd already put out a studio album ("Emotional rescue") only 14 months before the release of "Tattoo You". They cobbled together a few leftovers to put out a new album because it made commercial sense for a tour.

This time, they havent put out a new album for seven years. To get it into perspective, in the 7 years before "Tattoo you" theyd released four studio albums - not four studio SONGS.

GLENCAR wrote:
Did people back in 1981 get disappointed because they'd already heard previous outtakes of "Tops" and others?

As far as I can recall, none of the songs on "Tattoo You" had circulated on bootlegs by the time that album came out. The only I can think of was an instrumental called "Black and Blue Jam" which was an early backing track for the song that became "Slave" which had popped up in mediocre quality on the bootleg "Gravestones".

As for your question about an album of leftovers having poor sales - well,if Tattoo You is a precedent it will be their biggest seller to date..LOL

I'd like to hope its primarily new songs. Dont forget also however that whats circulated on bootlegs is not everything thats in circulated. Most songs on bootlegs arent finished songs anyway - like before, they'll probably re-do many of them or do overdubs.

[Edited by Gazza]
03-19-04 03:51 PM
glencar Yabbut they were in their 30's then. Old age slows you down.
03-19-04 04:00 PM
sandrew I gotta agree with Ian's post above ... The likelihood they'll delve into '70s outtakes is nil. I'd say the earliest they'll stretch back is the VL sessions.
03-19-04 04:13 PM
Gazza yeah..I cant see them goin' that far back either.

I think if those ancient leftovers are ever used, they'd have a different kind of "project" in mind.
03-19-04 04:40 PM
Monkey Woman More from MRDEEE, the well informed guy on Shidoobee, about what his source revealed on the new album:

[quote]Honest Man was one of the ones he mentioned...they are basically looking for stuff that won't require too much work to complete...though they worked on 28 new songs in Paris 2002 many of them are along the lines of most of disc three of Voodoo Stew...just "groove songs" that would need LOTS of work to whip into shape! [/quote

According to Doug, the info is reliable. Wait and see, and cross our fingers.
03-19-04 04:42 PM
glencar I believe it myself. Both men are highly reliable. I'm slightly disappointed but that's nothing new after the a seven-year-wait for a new album.
03-19-04 04:46 PM
scope
Er, Lady Jane, please clarify. When you say "Go for it with the vault material" are you talking about the Stones, or Joey stealing Max's posts?
03-19-04 04:50 PM
glencar Joey was taken to the cleaners today. No more stealing!
03-19-04 05:24 PM
Some Guy I've soiled myself!!!
03-19-04 05:35 PM
Poplar
would it be inappropriate for someone to post a DIRECT link to where stonesdoug posts all these details - like the specific songs. his site always leaves me confused and wondering: "where the hell is everything?" i much prefer the company here anyways.
03-19-04 06:00 PM
Monkey Woman Here's the link to Stonesdoug's thread on Shidoobee:
http://pub6.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessage?topicID=7647.topic
Look for his and MRDEEE's posts.

But of course, the original source is not going to post anything on the 'Net!
03-19-04 06:48 PM
nankerphelge I've soiled myself too!!

Plus I drank a whole shitload of Newcastles!!

Yeah buddy -- NEWCASTLES!!!!

I also dug into a big fat one and am home alone!!!

Did someone say Exile???

I love Frydays!!!
03-19-04 07:38 PM
Poplar
Thanks Monkey Woman.
03-19-04 08:37 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Look for his and MRDEEE's posts.

And this is what MRDEEE had to say 30 minutes ago:

I just talked to my Stones video connection that gave me the new album news last week and he tells me that the outtakes they will work on for the new album are all from the Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon sessions...NOTHING from before 1989! When you think about it this makes more sense, their sound changed dramatically when they "came back" in '89 after seven years off the road and not many pre-eighties outtakes would fit in with what they do now...he says there are literally dozens of outtakes from those sessions that have NEVER been bootlegged so they will mostly be new songs to us!
03-19-04 09:05 PM
Gazza thank fuck for that..presumably we're looking at new, re-recorded versions of those songs for the most part in addition to some songs from Paris '02 that need a bit of fairy dust sprinkled on them plus new songs that they DID work on during the tour and since. There may not be scores of finished songs that are usable but theres plenty of ideas and basic tracks for them to go on.

Thats fine by me. Stones songs often take several years to 'evolve'. Using finished songs that werent good enough is a crappy idea after a 7 year hiatus. Songs that werent finished properly in time for the album that came from the sessions they were recorded is OK.

Half of "Exile" predates "Sticky Fingers" for example (some even earlier) and other songs like You Cant Always Get What You Want, Sister Morphine were even cut for "Beggars Banquet" so the idea of using old songs on "Tattoo You" wasnt a new one.
03-19-04 09:22 PM
Maxlugar [quote]scope wrote:

Er, Lady Jane, please clarify. When you say "Go for it with the vault material" are you talking about the Stones, or Joey stealing Max's posts?

Word, Scopey.

Will you be sailing with us?

Hope so!

M!
03-20-04 12:04 AM
BILL PERKS KEITH HAS RELEASED 7 WRITTEN SONGS IN A DECADE
FLIP THE SWITCH
LOWDOWN
TOO TIGHT
DONT HAVE TO MEAN IT
HOW CAN I STOP
THIEF IN THE NIGHT
LOSIN MY TOUCH
ONE WOULD HOPE HE HAS A LOT TO OFFER TO THESE SESSIONS
03-20-04 01:06 PM
Some Guy Love to hear this news! Still soiled.
03-20-04 01:18 PM
T&A The Stones rarely "rerecord" old songs - they usually keep the basic track in place and add new vocals, a guitar overdub, a horn here, a keyboard there, etc. So Young is a good case in point - the original SG-era basic track is the same one as the one released on the VL b-side.

If it's true they won't dig back deeper than '89, that's a little dissappointing for the sheer reason that their song-writing talents have slipped since the 70's heyday. I do hope we see some of the older tracks - maybe on a future "Hotel Memory"-type project.

Tod
03-20-04 01:40 PM
sandrew Bill Perks is right. Mick would be more than justified in feeling like he's been carrying the band's water for the last 10 years.
03-20-04 03:38 PM
Some Guy I keep hearing about the "vaults" and have seen song titles in this thread that I have never heard. Do they really have some great unreleased stuff that would be good for a New album?
03-20-04 03:41 PM
stewed & Keefed I think the four songs below could be worked on with good results.

ZIP MOUTH ANGEL
IT'S FUNNY
HONEST MAN
MIDDLE OF THE SEA
03-20-04 03:45 PM
Some Guy Interesting titles.
Are they rockers?
03-20-04 05:09 PM
nankerphelge First is kind of a Mick acoustic ballad
Second is a Keith croon
Third is like a bluesy Love Is Strong
Last one is great -- funky with Keith doing almost a Hot Stuff type reggae lick with lotsa percussion!
03-20-04 06:38 PM
Some Guy damn!!!!!
03-20-04 07:14 PM
glencar Middle of the Sea is great. It just needs some work on the vocals.
Page: 1 2 3 4

BEST VIEWED HIGH