ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RONNIE: DOC'S TOLD ME I'D BE DEAD IN A YEAR>> Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
03-18-04 09:29 AM
Moonisup
quote:
F505 wrote:
back to the topic: is there any chance that Ronnie will equal his level from 1975/76? If not who will be his successor?

that's a long time ago!
03-18-04 11:28 AM
erikjjf
quote:
F505 wrote:
back to the topic: is there any chance that Ronnie will equal his level from 1975/76?

Is there a chance that Keith will???
03-18-04 02:50 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
back to the topic: is there any chance that Ronnie will equal his level from 1975/76? If not who will be his successor?

03-18-04 03:57 PM
glencar I was listening to Les Abbatoirs from 1976 & today's shows don't match up. They need to kill the back-up singers.
03-18-04 05:29 PM
Gazza You think? I think that was about their weakest tour ever.

I'm not that crazy about the '75 leg either but I think its way better than '76.

I guess some things are better now and some are worse.

Mick's onstage singing was often abominable in the 70's - he's much more consistent from '89 onwards since he started pacing himself better onstage and stopped getting out of breath after 15 minutes by running around like a blue arsed fly instead of concentrating on his vocals once in a while.

I guess with age your vocal range diminishes a bit, so I guess they NEED backing singers more these days, but I think he uses his voice more effectively now than he did then.
03-18-04 05:52 PM
BILL PERKS MICK, A BLUE ARSED FLY,INDEED.
03-18-04 08:40 PM
Poplar
gazza - you're right.
i like teh 75 shows, in fact, some are great (see: I never talked to chuck berry) but man, '76 shows sounded like krap. i never understood that.

love the buzz on the new album (see the new thread!)

03-18-04 08:49 PM
mac_daddy >>> I'm not that crazy about the '75 leg either

wow - I think 75's TOTA is one of their best...

Ronnie's work on those L.A. and NYC discs we just treed are awesome - YCAGWYW has never sounded better.

evidently, your mileage varies...

03-18-04 09:00 PM
stonedinaustralia i agree with you mac-d re '75

however, i also take gazza's point re '76 - what i have heard of this (which is mostly LYL and a couple of boots from shows in Germany)the band sounds IMO flat and lifeless - i could be wrong but i'm tempted to put this down to the fact that during the '76 tour keith hit his all time low when it came to his smack habit - certainly the photogrpahic evidence supports this - most pics from 76 he seems almost dead on his feet or at least in another stratosphere or something - his rythym work esp. to me sounds particularly uninspired lacking in heart/energy on this tour particularly when compared to 72/73 and as i say (imo) 75

funny then that the el mocambo shows sounds full of life and energy
[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
03-18-04 09:33 PM
Poplar
in the two 76 shows i have - even the guitars themselves sound bad. like they didn't have the right equipment. not to mention the poor playing.
03-19-04 04:42 PM
SoulSurvivr nothing compares to 72/73
03-19-04 04:57 PM
Gazza >wow - I think 75's TOTA is one of their best...

Ronnie's work on those L.A. and NYC discs we just treed are awesome - YCAGWYW has never sounded better.

I agree with you that the LA and NY shows are generally pretty good. I just think that over all it wasnt one of their better tours, and suffered from comparison as to what had gone before, the 1973 tour especially which IMO had seen their most consistent series of performances to date (even more so than '72). 1976 was an even bigger deterioration. As said above, Keith was at his most smacked out by that point. When you literally fall asleep ONSTAGE during "Fool to cry" on the OPENING NIGHT of a tour, then you really DO have a problem!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BEST VIEWED HIGH