ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RIP Matt Mulcahy aka Riffhard64
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Strokes live! (ns) Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-11-04 12:22 PM
Factory Girl I saw the Strokes on 3/9 and they were freaking GREAT!!
They had excellent sound an great charisma! They played Take it or Leave It, Meet me in the Bathroom, Hard to Explain, and so on. They did a great version of Clash's "Clampdown".

A fantastic show!!
03-11-04 12:24 PM
Zeeta Cheeky bastards!

Clampdown cannot be emulated by that shitty band!
03-11-04 12:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm with Zeeta.

I must now add Julian to the list of "Guys I'd Like To Punch".
03-11-04 12:41 PM
Factory Girl You guys are so righteous. I'm not a Clash fan, but I don't go around bad mouthing them.

People can enjoy bands that you dislike. I have great taste in music, and I love the Strokes!
03-11-04 01:17 PM
marko and I love the Strokes!

me as well!
03-11-04 01:21 PM
Nasty Habits I'm just impressed that the Strokes actually learned a cover!

Hey FG, do you have the Strokes' original demos that are on the Beggar's Banquet 4 song CD?

03-11-04 01:44 PM
Factory Girl Nasty, I do not have the Strokes demos!
03-11-04 02:34 PM
Dead Flower That Strokes demo SUCKS! Then again, it's because it's by the Strokes. When is that band going to die? I predict in 2 years or less. It will be like when people liked Vanilla Ice or Milly Vanilly. Now, nobody actually claims to like those bands. Same thing as The Strokes in a few years. The Strokes are nothing more than the 00's version of The Monkees and only appeal to girls or people with really bad taste in music. The Strokes are nothing more than a third rate Velvet Underground rip off band! Dating Drew Barrymore, gawwwwwd!
03-11-04 02:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't DISLIKE the Stokes. I'm just not all ga-ga over them.

If I thought that their covering a Clash song was nothing more than a ploy to improve their "street cred", you could color me impressed.

But to me, it's just like everything else about the Strokes...carefully calculated for maximum boost of the image.

The Strokes are all about image...about the BRAND name...about making money. The music is secondary and it sounds like it. To me, it sounds like there is something missing. Almost as if they are...disinterested or something like that.

The Strokes are everything that the Clash were not.
03-11-04 02:57 PM
Factory Girl Sir Stonesy, having seen the Strokes live TWICE, I can assure you the music is not secondary. They have fire and they have conviction.

They are a better live band than a studio band.

Btw, Check your PM.
03-11-04 02:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Dead Flower wrote:
That Strokes demo SUCKS! Then again, it's because it's by the Strokes. When is that band going to die? I predict in 2 years or less. It will be like when people liked Vanilla Ice or Milly Vanilly. Now, nobody actually claims to like those bands. Same thing as The Strokes in a few years. The Strokes are nothing more than the 00's version of The Monkees and only appeal to girls or people with really bad taste in music. The Strokes are nothing more than a third rate Velvet Underground rip off band! Dating Drew Barrymore, gawwwwwd!

Au contraire - the Strokes demo CD is the one really good thing the band did -- it's catchy dumb rock and roll bubblegum music, recycled Velvet Underground fronted by Tom Jones, but it is a really good four song EP with a lot of energy and entertainment value. Ear candy for sure, but that particular version of "Barely Legal" will sound just fine on some "lost Nuggets of 90s garage" comp CD or whatever.
03-11-04 04:31 PM
Joey

Stoney .......................................

Please , check your PM !

03-11-04 06:22 PM
steel driving hammer Glad you saw them!

I'm still not sure if I like them however.

But still, Stones rule all you fucking bastards!

03-12-04 05:14 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

But to me, it's just like everything else about the Strokes...carefully calculated for maximum boost of the image.

The Strokes are all about image...about the BRAND name...about making money. The music is secondary and it sounds like it. To me, it sounds like there is something missing. Almost as if they are...disinterested or something like that.

The Strokes are everything that the Clash were not.

Nailed it mate!

I too do not DETEST the Strokes but find it really difficult to like them as a band and what they stand for, hence I have real trouble actually liking their music - which sometimes can be good.

FG - you really are missing out not giving the Clash a chance.

I admit they can be difficult to get into but now if someone says to me "I don't really dig The Clash" it's like someone saying they don't like the Stones!

Its fundamental that people like the Clash.

"oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh ... Give us a kiss!!!!"
03-12-04 07:23 AM
Jumacfly Hi there!! Since i ve discovered Franz Ferdinand, this great scott band, i ve thrown my Strokes cd by the window!!!
I ve seen the strokes live last year, good show but so short...55 minutes, no Encore...Not very Rock n roll

Ju
03-12-04 07:23 AM
Factory Girl Zeeta-it is not fundamental that one likes any band.

I do have Clash cds (london calling & Combat Rock) and a few other things. Yes, I like a few of their songs (London calling, for example). However, that is it for me. They are not "my cup of vodka", if you like.

03-12-04 07:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ahh come on! The only people who don't like the Strokes are those who can't pull off their look!

No seriously, what SS was saying about them being about a brand name is true, but what a fucking cool brand name!

Alex
03-12-04 09:13 AM
Zeeta That's just the point about a look and brand mate!

I'm not denying that the Strokes look is cool as a fashion statement - but the music just doesn't live up to it.

Most people when they try to look like the Strokes look like sad wannabies lets face it - I have a friend who had his hair cut like the guitarist Nicky but he has to straigten it each morning! WTF! He is an okay guy but straightening your hair!? And I must add he knows fuck all about music.

I've got my own style and I personally wouldn't try to emulate the stroke's look...
03-12-04 09:21 AM
Factory Girl Z-you don't have to emulate any look.

Oh, and btw, image is plenty important in rock. The Stones had an image, and the Beatles had an image.

I say the Strokes kick butt live!
03-12-04 02:42 PM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Would you let your daughter marry a Stroke?
03-12-04 03:15 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I saw the Strokes on 3/9 and they were freaking GREAT!!
They had excellent sound an great charisma! They played Take it or Leave It, Meet me in the Bathroom, Hard to Explain, and so on. They did a great version of Clash's "Clampdown".

A fantastic show!!

Whew! Your innocent post about the Strokes sure unleashed a shitstorm! I don't really know much about them, except that they are dating Drew Barrymore . Which means they are two steps behind Tom Green! Which means....?

Hey, my band Friction played Clampdown too - in 1980! Which made us 24 times cooler than The Strokes, who of course hadn't been born yet....which makes me OLD!

We actually WERE "working hard in Harrisburg/working hard in Pittsburgh".

03-12-04 03:20 PM
Joey " Hey, my band Friction played Clampdown too - in 1980! Which made us 24 times cooler than The Strokes, who of course hadn't been born yet....which makes me OLD!

We actually WERE "working hard in Harrisburg/working hard in Pittsburgh". "

03-12-04 03:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Right Jon...you guys...well except for Craig and his phoney fake accent...were not about the pose. And like you said, you really DID work hard in Harrisburg. The Stokes however are ALL about the pose, and it doesn't look like they've worked hard a day in their lives!

The music is OK. Nothing special. It certainly isn't worth all this hoopla.

FG...I've seen plenty of live Strokes footage. I have Strokes boots. I not impressed. In fact, it's why I didn't bother trying to get tickets.

However, I'm really glad that you had a good time at the show K. As long as it made you happy, that is really all that matters. Please don't take the fact that I'm not crazy in love with the Strokes as some sort of condemnation of your taste in music. That was not the intention of my posts on this thread.
03-12-04 03:49 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Right Jon...you guys...well except for Craig and his phoney fake accent...were not about the pose.

Oh, hell, we posed with the best of them! EVERYBODY does! We all went to see the Clash, and then immediately tried as hard as we could to look like them. Luckily we picked up more than just which shoes to wear.

Even Keith admitted that he got the poses down FIRST and THEN worried about learning to actually play.
03-12-04 04:00 PM
Factory Girl Oh no, Sir Stonesy I know you're just giving me a good natured rubdown...lol. All is coolness.

FPMonskey, Tom Green (a creepy creep) is dating Farah Fawcett. So he's two behind the 6 Million Dollar Man & Ryan O'Neal.
03-13-04 08:17 AM
beer well done factory girl, dont let these ponces bring you down. the strokes are fucking great!
03-13-04 09:32 AM
Zeeta Don't take my comments too seriously FG! I

It's only a message board (but I like it)!

I just don't dig the Strokes - but so what!!

Your taste seems to be a bit punky, you always talk about The Stooges, so maybe London calling and especially Combat Rock are not the LPs for you.

I reckon ou would really be rollin' to The Clash - The Clash which is their first album and also their fastest paced, dirty and energetic album.

Matty!
03-13-04 11:40 AM
Sir Stonesalot Or Give 'Em Enough Rope. Or maybe Super Black Market Clash.
03-13-04 12:01 PM
Zeeta Yeah Give Em Enough Rope,
Tommy Gun !!!!!

Spot on drums by Headon on that tune.

Stonedalot, you know your shit about the Clash what's your take on Sandinista?

My take; a right freakin melting pot of genres, sounds and attitude. But there are some severe fillers on there - One More Dub WTF is that all about!?! It's not bad but they should have put it on a B-side or something but not on the album. Also Rebel Waltz??!
Self-indulgent? Yeah and why not when it sounds so good!

Broadway is beautiful IMO Strummer at his best. One of the three NYC tunes, Magnificent Seven and Lightning Strikes.
The Leader is rock a billy shit!
Admittedly some tracks are not that easy to listen to, but on the whole I think the album is excellent.

Maybe the most innovative rock album ever made?

I read an ace story about how The Blockheads had been playing top of the pops dressed as policemen and decided to go down to see The Clash at the studio recording Sandinista. When the Blockheads burst into Wessex studios Jone, thinking there was s police raid in progress flushed his whole stash down the studio toilet!!!!

"and raise a family...wouldn't that be cute!"
03-14-04 10:47 AM
Factory Girl Hey Z-no worries. A lively debate is a good thing.

Yes, I do love the Stooges. Btw, check out "Funhouse" cd. I also like Patti Smith.

I love primal screeching blues-Johnny Winter. Check him out.

And finally, I love Alice In Chains. Check out "Dirt" & "Jar of Flies". A great, versatile band that they were.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH