ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

1978 - Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: STONES/MUDDY WATERS LIVE in '81... Return to archive
03-23-03 06:41 PM
SaintGar Aaah yes,keith,ron,stu on piano and mick on some tracks.Live with Muddy at the chequerboard lounge in 1981. My question is this: I have the 40- minute version of this,it's got about 7 tracks or so in excellent quality,I have seen that there is a 90-minute version out there too. Anybody who's seen this,do the stones(keith and ron..or mick singing) appear on all 90 minutes???
Is it worth seeking out the full version?
03-23-03 06:53 PM
T&A no, you have the part in which the Stones participated. buddy guy was also at this Muddy gig.
03-23-03 06:54 PM
parmeda I can't answer all of your questions SaintGar but earlier today, Riffhard and I were talking about the Checkerboard Lounge!

Hey Riffy, it's still up and running...look what I found.

Historical South-side blues mecca once owned by Buddy Guy and Junior Wells. The Rolling Stones and Muddy Waters played together here during the '70s, and the occasion is well-documented with photographs inside. There's a great soul-food place just outside with an orange elephant on the roof. During the day the bar -- dark, with an eerie red light , torn linoleum floor and long narrow tables -- is filled with heavy drinkers enjoying the pleasantly decrepit 25-year-old room, but at night there are a good number of tourists, students from the nearby University of Chicago, and even the occasional rock star coming to see authentic South Side blues from regular performers like Vance Kelly and Magic Slim. The neighborhood is a little chancy, so go with a friend, but there is a secure parking lot across the street.
03-23-03 06:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, get the 2CD set, it's a must realized somewhere over the rainbow , even that Mick Jagger is only four songs, the whole show is great, a must for your collection.
03-23-03 07:10 PM
Riffhard LOL yeah Pam! I love the way the writer describes the neighborhood as being "chancy" That is very true! It's a great time though!

Riffhard
03-23-03 07:13 PM
parmeda Chancy, my ass! LOL!!!
You'd have better luck walking thru the Iraqi desert blindfolded right now...

Come to the Windy City ASAP...we will go, yes, we will!
03-23-03 07:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
T&A wrote:
no, you have the part in which the Stones participated. buddy guy was also at this Muddy gig.

Keith and Woody play on all songs except one of the improvized jams, in which Stu is the only stone playing.

The line up

Muddy Waters - Vocals (whole show)
Mick Jagger - Vocals (4 songs: Baby Please Don�t Go, Hoochie Coochie Man,Long Distance Call and Mannish Boy)
Keith Richarsd - Guitar all show but one of the jams
Ron Wood - Guitar all show but one of the jams
Ian "Stu" Stewart - All Pianos (whole show)

Other musicians: John Primer, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Lefty Dizz, Mojo Buford, Lovie Lee, Ray Allison, and Earnest Johnson.
03-23-03 07:34 PM
T&A Voodoo:

Are you inferring that Ron & Keith play on the entire set? That's not the case - the video clearly shows Ron & Keith as they join the set "in progress" (walking over club tables, no less!).

By the way, Muddy's longtime touring band had by this time been fired (over money issues) and his band at this stage was a pale imitation. Gone are Calvin (bass), Big Eyes (drums), Luther and Bob (guitars) and Pinetop (piano). I was so disappointed when I saw the band around this time in Portland, Oregon - just a few months after seeing them in all their glory with the aforementioned greats....
03-23-03 07:41 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Check Nico's cyberbible at http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1981.htm

Note: The whole show was filmed from a Stones-source. The line-ups change continiously. KR and RW play permanently, with exception of the 2nd Jam (in which STU is the only Stone participating).

Well, probably Nico's talking about the 11 songs set

03-24-03 02:03 AM
marko i have the boot you bastards!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST