ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Fin Costello with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Wife warns dry Ronnie to stay out of boozy Dublin" Return to archive
25th March 2007 09:22 PM
Mel Belli Irish Independent

March 25, 2007

Big party plans but wife warns dry Ronnie to stay out of boozy Dublin

DANIEL McCONNELL

ROLLING Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood said his wife has banned him from going into Dublin from their Kildare home, for fear he "wouldn't come back for three days".

Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Independent, the 59-year-old recovering alcoholic said his wife and handlers fear the temptations are too much for him.

The former Faces and Jeff Beck Group guitarist was speaking on the day it was announced that the Rolling Stones are to headline a Slane Castle concert on Saturday, August 18, the 25th anniversary of when the band last played there.

He said: "Well, it's a good test for me to come back to Ireland and not drink. I'll probably do it through the smoking ban too, it'll be weird to go in to a pub and not have a drink and not have a cigarette, so it's strange.

"If I head into Dublin, it's a bit dangerous for me staying on the old wagon. I can do it, I've done it before, but I'm going through a learning curve of abstaining. I love coming into Dublin, but a lot of the time I'm not allowed to because of all the trouble I have got into in the past."

Who doesn't allow you? we asked.

"You know, the wife and the various people who look after me, they think 'the last time you went to Dublin it took you three days to come home.' But I do have a great time there."

The guitar legend said his affinity to Ireland is deep rooted. And on the weekend of the gig he wants Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and the rest of the Stones crew to go back to his house in Clane, Co Kildare, for a mega post-gig bash.

"The night of the gig I'll stay in my house, and yeah probably have a party that night. I can still party, even if I'm not hitting the bottle," he said.

On his alcoholism, the troubled London native described the constant struggle to keep his life on track. He said: "My head is in a great place and I know I'm playing and painting better, so why mess with it. It's a hard on-going thing but it's worth it."

Wood and his wife Jo, who is a successful cosmetics businesswoman, have owned their extensive house in Kildare for the last 16 years. They bought it from an old friend.

"Well a mate of mine was splitting up from his wife. They remained good friends but they realised it was time to sell. He invited me over to stay and I had intended on renting it for a while but I decided to buy. It's a great place. I love it."

Wood has installed a recording studio, artist's studio and a bar in the back garden. And many rock legends have used his studio, including Jerry Lee Lewis, Van Morrison, U2's The Edge, as well as the Rolling Stones themselves. About his outside bar, he said: "The garden and the bar have seen many great nights, and there are plenty of stories to be told."

He was "very disappointed" at the legal row between MCD and Aiken Promoters which saw their intended Phoenix Park gig cancelled.

"Yeah, we're going to Slane I think because of all the promoters arguing. We just wanted to get over and play in Ireland, whatever it took. And all the red tape that was getting in the way I thought 'ah no', we're going have to forsake Ireland again, this can't go on, you know."

He would love to play Croke Park in the near future.

"I haven't been there yet but I saw it on the telly and it looks a fantastic place and I would love to play there," he said.

25th March 2007 09:38 PM
tumbled Thank god someone cares ! Go Ronnie!!!

stay away from the slippery places! its alright! we are behind ya and dont' want u to get sick again....

I don't want to lose any more friends from drinking - the last one was 49 y.o. do what you must Ronald!!!!! I for one am behind u all the way..

as if he reads this..
25th March 2007 11:26 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
tumbled wrote:

Thank god someone cares ! Go Ronnie!!!

Indeed. Ronnie was on fire at the shows I saw last year. The man is amazing. God bless ya, Ronnie.
26th March 2007 12:36 AM
Zack >it'll be weird to go in to a pub and not have a drink and not have a cigarette<

Then don't go into the pub, Ronnie.
26th March 2007 05:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
>it'll be weird to go in to a pub and not have a drink and not have a cigarette<

Then don't go into the pub, Ronnie.

Its obviously been a few years since he was in a pub in Dublin as smoking has been banned in them for about four or five years.

Ronnie's "local" when in Dublin tended to be the Auld Dubliner in Temple Bar. Its not exactly the easiest part of Dublin to hang out in if you're battling a drink problem
26th March 2007 09:58 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its obviously been a few years since he was in a pub in Dublin as smoking has been banned in them for about four or five years.

Ronnie's "local" when in Dublin tended to be the Auld Dubliner in Temple Bar. Its not exactly the easiest part of Dublin to hang out in if you're battling a drink problem

They recently banned smoking inside the Brazen Head

www.BrazenHeadPub.com

26th March 2007 11:30 AM
Saint Sway the tour seems to be coming together right on schedule!!

the tour dates have been announced, pre-sales are a go, and any day now we will get the obligatory "Woody Back In Rehab" news.
26th March 2007 12:16 PM
Martha I'm so glad to know that Ronnie has many loving people in his life. Staying sober is a day at a time deal for chronic alcoholics...I am so glad to hear from him how he notices the improvements in his life when he stays off the sauce. Kudos Ronnie!

xxoo,
Martha

PS Of course he reads this! ;-)
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)