ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Fin Costello with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You got me rocking a.k.a Daryl Jones Appreciation thread Return to archive
25th March 2007 11:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
25th March 2007 11:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
25th March 2007 11:41 AM
_Boomy_ Daryl ain't that bad. Charlie knows how to pick 'em.

However, I do miss those tiny hands moving around on the fret-board. Too bad he quit.
25th March 2007 12:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Biography
www.answers.com

Although he was already a well respected session musician, it wasn't until bassist Darryl Jones replaced original member Bill Wyman in the Rolling Stones that he became widely known. Born on December 11, 1961, in the south side of Chicago, Jones picked up both the electric and upright bass, later playing in a local band alongside pianist Ken Chaney and guitarist Phil Upchurch, and on occasion, drummer Vince Wilburn Jr. Wilburn turned out to be jazz legend Miles Davis' nephew, and the drummer recommended Jones to Miles.

A tryout in New York was arranged a day after Davis called Jones, which promptly landed Jones the gig. Joining Davis' touring band only a week after his inaugural tryout, Jones would appear on such ‘80s era Davis recordings as 1983's Decoy, plus a pair in 1985, You're Under Arrest and Human Nature. Settling down in New York City permanently, Jones quickly built a name for himself in the local jazz scene, where he played and/or recorded alongside his fellow bandmates in Davis' band, guitarists Mike Stern and John Scofield, as well as the Gil Evans Big Band and Steps Ahead.

Jones' next prestigious gig came on another recommendation, when saxophonist Branford Marsalis helped set up a tryout for the bassist with Sting's backing band -- playing on 1985's Dream of the Blue Turtles and 1986's Bring on the Night, as well as touring along the ex-Police front man. Jones returned back to his hometown of Chicago in 1989, originally so he could focus primarily on his own song writing. But his plan was short lived, as word was already out about his talents, and more tour/studio work came his way, this time for Herbie Hancock & the Headhunters, Peter Gabriel, Madonna, and Eric Clapton.

Jones' accomplishments up until this point were quite exceptional, but the jewel in his crown came in 1994, when he landed the gig as bassist for the Rolling Stones, when Bill Wyman opted to retire from rock n' roll entirely. Jones has been a member ever since, appearing on such studio recordings as 1994's Voodoo Lounge and 1997's Bridges to Babylon, as well as numerous tours (and resulting live albums, 1995's Stripped and 1998's No Security). Jones also continues to guest on other artist's recordings, including albums by Joan Armatrading, Buckshot LeFonque, Joe Cocker, and B.B. King, among others, while his bass playing can be heard on such archival Miles Davis releases (1998's Live in France, 2002's Complete Miles Davis at Montreux 1973-1991, etc.). ~ Greg Prato, All Music Guide

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
25th March 2007 03:11 PM
pdog I love bass.
25th March 2007 04:57 PM
glencar He's almost my twin brother borne of a black mother!!
25th March 2007 05:00 PM
glencar He's almost my twin brother borne of a black mother!!
26th March 2007 12:38 AM
Zack He's no Bill.
26th March 2007 02:57 AM
Jumacfly Bill is seriously missed by all bass fans of the Stones.
26th March 2007 03:59 AM
speedfreakjive Darryl's the man - some of the songs on the theatre show DVD would have collapsed if it wasn't for his consistency
26th March 2007 05:33 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Darryl's the man - some of the songs on the theatre show DVD would have collapsed if it wasn't for his consistency

True....especially on Stray Cat blues and Dance.
26th March 2007 07:52 PM
gotdablouse Someone buy him a pick ! The worst thing to happen to the Stones with Chuck Leavell. Just watch the 1981 show and mourn the loss of Bill.
26th March 2007 09:01 PM
fireontheplatter i have been listening to the stones since i was 12 years old. all the while i was mostly paying attention to either mick or keith or charlie. bill wyman i noticed as i grew older seemed a bit of a grumpy guy...he never freaking smiled for gazzas sake. when he quit i didn't give a darn.

the guy that is playing with them now.....he is alright in my book.
26th March 2007 11:46 PM
Bitch I've learned to love Darryl. At first I was so upset when he replaced Bill, I could not accept him, but he's proven himself worthy. pic from Amsterdam last year.

Darryl lays a solid rhythym down!
26th March 2007 11:54 PM
Zack
quote:
Bitch wrote:

Darryl lays a solid rhythm down!

Just like my heavy throbber's itchin' to do.
27th March 2007 12:07 AM
Poplar agreed on most fronts. Though it was tough not hearing Bill's familiar tyle at first, I now hear a man that does miraculous work - helping prop up a band that plays on the verge of complete colapse. Bill did that too, but Bill never played with the band that gave us shows like some of those we've seen in the past few years - you know, the really damn rough ones. Darryl probably manages to make the band sound more cohesive than they actually are at times.

He smokes, and he chills.

[Edited by Poplar]
27th March 2007 06:53 AM
Mathijs The decision to hire Jones is the absolute worst decision ever taken by the Stones. Jones just totally doesn't fit the sound, drive and swing of the Stones.

Mathijs
27th March 2007 07:16 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The decision to hire Jones is the absolute worst decision ever taken by the Stones. Jones just totally doesn't fit the sound, drive and swing of the Stones.

Mathijs

100% Agree.
The band doesn t swing anymore and now it's only "boum boum "bass.
27th March 2007 07:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The decision to hire Jones is the absolute worst decision ever taken by the Stones. Jones just totally doesn't fit the sound, drive and swing of the Stones.

Mathijs

Well...it's kind of hard to climb up a greased pole.
27th March 2007 03:11 PM
glencar I like Daryl on a personal basis but he's no Wyman.
27th March 2007 03:14 PM
mojoman he weighs more than mick and woody combined
27th March 2007 03:14 PM
glencar So do most of us!
27th March 2007 03:16 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
So do most of us!

that makes me feel fat and depressed
27th March 2007 03:16 PM
glencar I've cut out snacks but every once in a while I pile it on & THAT makes me depressed!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)