ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Nikki Sudden
Another Goodbye to another good friend
Picture with thanks to mutual friend Axel Schumacher
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: arctic monkeys??? Return to archive
24th March 2006 01:43 AM
exile Are these guys any good? i have heard about them

worth buying the CD? downloading?

what do you think
24th March 2006 02:15 AM
glencar Fairly routine from the song I saw them do on SNL a few weeks back.
24th March 2006 02:25 AM
Altamont Going by the name alone; rubbish.
24th March 2006 05:34 AM
exile someone told me they were good?

beats me. thought someone would know thats all.
24th March 2006 05:43 AM
FotiniD Everybody seems to be talking about these guys lately. I haven't even heard one song till now.

I did hear a story though, that they didn't recognize David Bowie who was sitting at their reserved table, and they asked him to leave. They did apologize later, of course, but think about that... Not knowing who Bowie is?
24th March 2006 05:43 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
exile wrote:
someone told me they were good?

beats me. thought someone would know thats all.

they are quite good, its relatively original, buy it, or download it.
24th March 2006 05:55 AM
jostorm I like them, Exile, (for what it's worth). They're just a bunch of young kids from Sheffield that went to school together, and thgeir music is a lot better than any new English bands in recent years imho...When they played a venue in their hometown a few months ago, the tickets that had a face value of 7£ were being resold by touts for 400£, that's the impact they have had, at least here in England. I even played with the idea of driving to Blackpool to queue and buy 4 tickets and take my daughter (12) and some of her friends to their upcoming gig, but in the end work commitments sadly stopped me from doing so, I may yet try and bid for some on ebay, though....They specifically sell a max 4 tickets at the box office only, no internet, no Ticketbastard, to ensure their fans can see them if they make the effort of walking to the box office in time.
Apart from liking their raw unpolished music (and the singer has a funny Yorkshire accent), I find it refreshingly nice that they still have this attitude "it's all about the music!".They are still devoid of egomania and have repeatedly given the fingers up sign to large corporations and all sorts of companies seeking to sponsor them, they still have ideals and are lightyears away from the world of megabucks corporate Rock'n Roll , EXACTLY like the Rolling Stones, right???!!! (hysterical laughter...)
24th March 2006 06:03 AM
Zeeta They are good!! No question of that.

Great energy, loud guitars and excellent, sharp, witty lyrics.

It's not for everyone as he sings in a very Northern England, Yorkshire accent. That's where I'm from so it's mint as far as I'm concerned but be warned!

They're also quite funny -

"Now I'd like to tell you my problem,
You're not from New York City, You're from Rotherham!"

"Well they might wear classic Reeboks
Or knackered Converse
Or tracky bottoms tucked in socks
But all of that's what the point is not
The point's that there isn’t no romance around there"

Just buy it...

[Edited by Zeeta]
24th March 2006 06:37 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
exile wrote:
Are these guys any good? i have heard about them

worth buying the CD? downloading?

what do you think

I ve DL it a few weeks ago.
must be the most overrated band of the year.
try Dead 60's instead!
great beercan support anyway!!
[Edited by Jumacfly]
24th March 2006 06:40 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I really dislike them. They are not original at all in fact the only difference between the arctic monkeys and any other band is that they sing with a northern accent.

Over rated shite!
24th March 2006 07:15 AM
Honky Tonk Man They've been hyped to death and according to reports, Alex Turner and co are a little wary of this. Just ignore the hype, pick up their album and enjoy. I'm sure that’s what they'd want. They are a good solid rock ‘n’ roll band. I honestly don't remember being more excited about a song before I heard I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor.
24th March 2006 07:38 AM
Ihavelotsajam I thought they were somewhat original when I first heard them, but a couple of weeks in, I'm already bored. DOWNLOAD, don't buy!
24th March 2006 09:00 AM
Taptrick
I thought the SNL performance sounded like junior high garage band stuff but I will give the album another try.
24th March 2006 09:02 AM
Break The Spell I've downloaded a few of their songs and saw them om several late night television programs and am quite unimpressed. They don't have it quite together and just come across as "high school garage band" as some have noted. Maybe I just need to hear more of their songs, but so far is just seems like hype.
24th March 2006 11:20 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I ve DL it a few weeks ago.
must be the most overrated band of the year.
try Dead 60's instead!
great beercan support anyway!!
[Edited by Jumacfly]

YES! I bought the cd, and just gave it to my hound dog to chew!
24th March 2006 11:49 PM
exile I DL the album will give it a listen when i get a chance. Thanks for everyones replies.

some interesting views
25th March 2006 09:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot Artic Monkey's are OK. I don't hate them or anything. I don't love them either. I'm taking a wait and see with them. I'm gonna have to see how they evolve.

I like the sense of humor.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)