ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Nikki Sudden
Another Goodbye to another good friend
Picture with thanks to mutual friend Axel Schumacher
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The bass playing on GOATS HEAD SOUP Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st March 2006 08:47 PM
Soldatti A very good record, a good move after 4 albums in the same direction.
21st March 2006 08:53 PM
tumbling dice
I love the album.Itīs not for begginers in the stones music.Itīs a very sad and druggie album but GHS got soul.The world in 73 was very pessimistic.Terrorism in Munich olimpic games,petrol crisis,torture in south america and Vietnan of course.The hippie dream was over..
22nd March 2006 03:00 AM
corgi37 Its far from their weakest (Black and Blue) and a mile from their best (Exile) but GHS is a hearty fave of mine. It was the 1st full Stones LP i listened to, courtesy of my sister. It's a very soul influenced album, Preston is more or less fully intergrated, the influences of Sly Stone, Stevie Wonder et al seeping through. Great black album. Not as soul/black/funky as IORR.

By ignorant ass licking critics, GHS is considered the 1st of their specifically 3 weak albums, but to me, its the 1st embrace of "modern" black music, as opposed to Jimmy Reed or Chuck style songs. Though Star fucker is as Chuck as you can get.
22nd March 2006 03:20 AM
IanBillen [quote]lotsajizz wrote:
a huge letdown after its predecessors....and their weakest effort of the 70's

that said, it means it gets an 'A-' rather than an 'A' or 'A+'

still better than just about most other bands' albums that decade

Much more solid than Black and Blue. Also much more cohesive. I rate Black and Blue as their worst album (well, unless your talking TSMR....but I don't think that is so bad as it is just not truly The Stones).

Black and Blue was a transitional album that transcened The Stones to new things. They were not settled into them yet with Black and Blue. Also the things they were going for in Black and Blue were over-done on that album. It hadn't settled into a well molded Rolling Stones style as of that point.

I dig GHS much more.

*By the way, just look at that classic avatar of mine. What a beauty huh!

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
22nd March 2006 06:55 AM
Zack Two votes in a row for Black and Blue as the worst Stones album ever?

Worse than Dirty Work, Undercover, Steel Wheels, ER? It's not that bad.

If you could combine the 10 best tracks from GHS and IORR together you'd have a damn good album. The filler was a phenomena new to the Stones at the time and they both suffered for it.
22nd March 2006 10:08 AM
Egbert
quote:
Zack wrote:
If you could combine the 10 best tracks from GHS and IORR together you'd have a damn good album. The filler was a phenomena new to the Stones at the time and they both suffered for it.

I'll take B&B over IORR any day. Interesting thought about combining the albums. My combo would lean heavily on the GHS material:

Dancing With Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Heartbreaker
Angie
Silver Train
Winter
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll*
Dance Little Sister
Fingerprint File

*Star Star sounds too much like IORR to have them both on the same album, otherwise it would replace Silver Train

Combining Undercover with Dirty Work would result in a fine album as well.

22nd March 2006 10:28 AM
Saint Sway I think If You Cant Rock Me should be on that list
22nd March 2006 01:41 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Combining Undercover with Dirty Work would result in a fine album as well.

I've thought about that too, my combined album from those two would be:
1- One Hit To The Body
2- She Was Hot
3- Harlem Shuffle
4- Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)
5- Too Rude
6- Undercover Of The Night
7- All The Way Down
8- Too Tough
9- Had It With You
10-Sleep Tonight
22nd March 2006 01:50 PM
pdog No filler for me... on any of these records... Even Dirty Work...
22nd March 2006 01:59 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
No filler for me... on any of these records... Even Dirty Work...

Nice to see Dirty Work get a little love for a change.
22nd March 2006 03:04 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I've thought about that too, my combined album from those two would be:
1- One Hit To The Body
2- She Was Hot
3- Harlem Shuffle
4- Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)
5- Too Rude
6- Undercover Of The Night
7- All The Way Down
8- Too Tough
9- Had It With You
10-Sleep Tonight

That would be the same 10 I would use.
22nd March 2006 03:09 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

That would be the same 10 I would use.

It would be a great album, flows real well. I also think Voodoo Lounge would benefit if it was a bit shorter, and traded songs like Sweethearts Together & New Faces for Jump On Top Of Me and The Storm.
22nd March 2006 03:15 PM
Egbert I don't want to get started on VL; it's my least favorite Stones album. Now if you combine the best from Main Offender and Wandering Spirit you'd have one heck of an album.
22nd March 2006 03:20 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:
I don't want to get started on VL; it's my least favorite Stones album. Now if you combine the best from Main Offender and Wandering Spirit you'd have one heck of an album.

Interesting, there's not even one song from VL you like?
22nd March 2006 03:24 PM
Child of the Moon When I die, and they're lowering me down to rest, the song "Winter" will be playing. And when Mick Taylor hits that solo, that's when dozens upon dozens of beautiful women will suddenly fling themselves upon my casket, weeping and moaning, "Why, why did you have to go so soon!?"

That's the effect THAT song has, I think.
22nd March 2006 04:11 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Interesting, there's not even one song from VL you like?

Oh no, I do like a few: LIS, YGMR, The Worst, I Go Wild, Thru And Thru...none of the songs are awful (like Back To Zero from Dirty Work); it's the production and pace of the album I dislike - to me the album as a whole has a lazy feel and the production just doesn't seem to have any edge to it, sounds overblown and cartoonish. I get the impression Mick & Keith were not very inspired due to the fact each had just put out a solo album.

I know I'm in the minority here and do understand why it is popular with most fans - after the previous 3 very '80s-sounding albums VL was a return to the early '70s classic style and sound. But to me it seems like they were playing it too safe, taking no risks at all. While I'm no techno/rap fan at least B2B shows them once again applying current trends to their particular style of music, which to me is what they excel at and has allowed them to stick around 40+ years in the business.

And the cover is just atrocious.

[Edited by Egbert]
[Edited by Egbert]
22nd March 2006 04:14 PM
Break The Spell I get what your saying Egbert, I burnt my own copy of VL, taking off a few weaker tracks and adding several b-sides to give it a better flow. And it does seem a lot of their best from that era was used on Wandering Spirit and Main Offender.
22nd March 2006 06:11 PM
Soldatti VL is a good album, but they didn't choose the best tracks for the album. About 5/6 songs are fillers, and some of the b-sides are way better.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)