ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Nikki Sudden
Another Goodbye to another good friend
Picture with thanks to mutual friend Axel Schumacher
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is the relationships between The Stones and Bob Dylan? Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th March 2006 06:46 PM
streetfighter From what I read Ron Wood and Dylan seem to be very close. Dylan hung out at Wood's farm writing songs for Time Out Of Mind. Dylan has also dedicated songs to Keef. It seems there is an odd relationship between Mick and Dylan. They have both taken hits at each other in songs and I have an interview where Dylan is questioned about his early 90s solo records and he says something like "anyone would do a solo album, even mick jagger, if they could." He seems to not like Mick much.

So does anyone else know any other details in the Stones/Dylan relationship?
[Edited by streetfighter]
20th March 2006 06:52 PM
pdog He played with the band in South america in 1998. I'd say the relationship is pretty good... Dylan tours more, but makes less money.
20th March 2006 07:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl There's a lot... "Just like Dylan Mr. Jones"

Brian Jones and Bob Dylan recorded for Wilson Pickett in 1965

Brian and Bob played live with Robbie RObertson of The Band also in 1965

In the "Jamming With Edward" album recorded in 1969 Mick sings a portion of Dylan's "Pledging My Time for It Hurts Me Too"

The EC album Eric Clapton has Woody and Dylan together in at least "Sign Language" (woody was a RS member then 1976) of course I?m not mentioning all the covers Faces did with Woody

The farewell gig of "The Band" also has Woody and Dylan jamming together

Keith recorded "If You See Her, Say Hello" in Cabo San Lucas where he got married in 1983

Bob Dylan recorded and toured with Mick Taylor in 1984

There's more
20th March 2006 07:27 PM
lotsajizz Dylan does a smokin' version of "Brown Sugar" from time to time....
20th March 2006 07:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The Dylan albums with Woody: Shot of Love, Empire Burlesque, Blowin' in the Wind, Knocked Out Loaded, Hearts of Fire, Down in the groove, and The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration

20th March 2006 07:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Dylan does a smokin' version of "Brown Sugar" from time to time....

...and the stones do the same with "Like a Rolling Stone"
20th March 2006 07:44 PM
lotsajizz that deserves to be broken out once or twice this Pacific Tour swing!
20th March 2006 08:10 PM
Riffhard The New Barbarians did a smoking version of Seven Days as well,with Stanley Clarke throwing down an insane bass solo.

Riffy
20th March 2006 08:11 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Dylan (as well as members of The Band) jammed together with Brian Jones in NYC during the blackout of 1965 -- apparently it was an amazing session but due to the lack of electricity, no recording could be made.
20th March 2006 08:39 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Dylan does a smokin' version of "Brown Sugar" from time to time....

Although it was smokin, he hasn't really played it "from time to time".

He performed it 36 times in the fall tour of 2003 (Oct-Nov); and only once, at the first show of the 2003 Australia/New Zealand tour. Hasn't been played since.
20th March 2006 08:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Dylan (as well as members of The Band) jammed together with Brian Jones in NYC during the blackout of 1965 -- apparently it was an amazing session but due to the lack of electricity, no recording could be made.

That was the one I mentioned with Robbie Robertson, also known as "The Lost Jam"
20th March 2006 08:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Live Aid! With Dylan, Woody and Keef

and talking about smoking versions of Seven Days, Dylan fucking up the his own lyrics in the 30th anniversary LOL
20th March 2006 09:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTw, all Dylan's birthday we put a "Dylan with the stones" header, all different. As far as I remember we have pix of Dylan with 7 out of 8 former members of the Rolling Stones with Bill Wyman as the only one missing. So if someone has a picture of Dylan with Bill... please send it... send it... send it to me... to me
20th March 2006 09:07 PM
Riffhard
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Live Aid! With Dylan, Woody and Keef

You had to go and do that didn't you Gerardo?! You just had to bring up that abortion of a performance?! I have been trying to live that down since 1985,and now you have to bring it up again!!

I'm drinking tonight for sure now!

Riffy
20th March 2006 09:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

You had to go and do that didn't you Gerardo?! You just had to bring up that abortion of a performance?! I have been trying to live that down since 1985,and now you have to bring it up again!!

I'm drinking tonight for sure now!

Riffy

LOL that was not that bad! Well, not as bas as Bon Jovi

The reheasals for that gig were better
21st March 2006 01:42 PM
streetfighter here is a video of bob and mick doing LARS together

so funny how mick gets so close to bob and bob starts to crack up at mick's antics

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zd1f8c
21st March 2006 01:51 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
streetfighter wrote:
here is a video of bob and mick doing LARS together

so funny how mick gets so close to bob and bob starts to crack up at mick's antics

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zd1f8c

Great video, never saw that before. I remember about 10 years ago when Bob said the Stones gave that song new life.
21st March 2006 01:54 PM
jb Dyan, imo, dislikes the Stones and mocks them...the Stones, imo, were initially mesmerized by Dylan, but ultimately realized he was much like the Maharish...............they use LARS simply b/c it worked in concert.
21st March 2006 03:34 PM
Jaxx
quote:
...and the stones do the same with "Like a Rolling Stone"

i'm reading here in Stone Alone, and i quote bill wyman,

"in 1965 dylan told a carnegie hall audience that his song, "like a rolling stone" was written for brian jones, who later claimed that dylan had asked him to join his band. Brian might have told him of his simmering discontent with the stones at that time. Another Dylan song, "ballad of a thin man" caused a paranoid brian to decide that the put-down of a "MR. JONES" in the lyric was a tilt at him."
21st March 2006 08:29 PM
Soldatti It was pure magic in 1998, I was there when they performed LARS together. Amazing.
21st March 2006 08:33 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
jb wrote:
Dyan, imo, dislikes the Stones and mocks them...the Stones, imo, were initially mesmerized by Dylan, but ultimately realized he was much like the Maharish...............they use LARS simply b/c it worked in concert.

I agree, the Stones have too much 'mockery' in them. Howe's Japan doing?
21st March 2006 08:38 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
It was pure magic in 1998, I was there when they performed LARS together. Amazing.

I saw them performing together two times. Rio and São Paulo in 98. It was the best performance in both shows.The crowd went nuts!!
22nd March 2006 06:56 AM
corgi37 Who cares. I cant stand Dylan. Whiny Jew. But, aint they all?

{Ducks for cover}
22nd March 2006 07:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Live Aid! With Dylan, Woody and Keef

and talking about smoking versions of Seven Days, Dylan fucking up the his own lyrics in the 30th anniversary LOL

Dylan didnt play "Seven Days" at that show. Woody did, however. Great version too!
22nd March 2006 08:34 AM
FPM C10 Yeah, that was an excellent rendition of an excellent song. Bob (who seemed like he spent a little too much time at the bar in the green room) screwed up the lyrics to "My Back Pages", which were quite obviously overdubbed in the CD and DVD.
22nd March 2006 08:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Yeah, that was an excellent rendition of an excellent song. Bob (who seemed like he spent a little too much time at the bar in the green room) screwed up the lyrics to "My Back Pages", which were quite obviously overdubbed in the CD and DVD.

yeah he flubbed a line or so...weird thing was that the performance was subsequently nominated for a Grammy! (it might have even won, too..I cant recall..).
22nd March 2006 09:21 AM
Martha
quote:
BTw, all Dylan's birthday we put a "Dylan with the stones" header, all different. As far as I remember we have pix of Dylan with 7 out of 8 former members of the Rolling Stones with Bill Wyman as the only one missing. So if someone has a picture of Dylan with Bill... please send it... send it... send it to me... to me

Bob will turn 65 this May 24th.

I wish I had a great photo for you Voo. That isn't my department...I need our Gypsy for this request!
22nd March 2006 09:25 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Dyan, imo, dislikes the Stones and mocks them...the Stones, imo, were initially mesmerized by Dylan, but ultimately realized he was much like the Maharish...............they use LARS simply b/c it worked in concert.

My dear jb, you are full of bananas. Your opnion on this matter is completely off the mark.

But....... you are funny.

:-)

Peace out,
Martha

"take a deep breath

feel like you're chokin'?

everything is broken"......
22nd March 2006 09:28 AM
Martha
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Who cares. I cant stand Dylan. Whiny Jew. But, aint they all?

{Ducks for cover}

If you do not care then why not post in a thread you do care about and keep these sort of remarks to yourself.

Thank you very kindly.
22nd March 2006 10:45 AM
nanatod Some of my favorite fellow "whiny" jews:

Jorma Kaukonen/Marty Balin/Spencer Dryden
Paul Simon
Mick Jones of the Clash
Justine from Elastica
Courtney Love
Bob Dylan
Joey Ramone
Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley
Matisyahu
The Beastie Boys
David Lee Roth
Jacob Dylan
Peter Himmelman
Sylvain Sylvain
Mickey Raphael
Kinky Friedman
Leslie West
Carrie and Janet from Sleater-Kinney
Perry Ferrell
Chris Robinson's mother-in-law
John Zorn
Tom Petty's rhythm section
3/4 of 10CC
Marc Bolan
1/2 of phish
Geddy Lee
3/4 of Veruca Salt
Donald Fagen
Warren Zevon
Jonathan Richman
The Knack
Scott Ian of Anthrax
3/5 of New Found Glory
Vanessa Carlton
Max Weinberg
Everyone in J.Geils Band except Geils
Pink
Marianne Faithfull
Susannah Hoffs of the Bangles
Lou Reed
Leonard Cohen
Al Kooper
Billy Joel
Paula Abdul
Beck
1/5 of the Strokes
Joey Kramer of Aerosmith
D. Mustaine and M. Friedman from Megadeth
Robbie Krieger
Mark Knopfler
1/2 of NOFX
Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel
Randy Newman
Herb Alpert
Mike Bloomfield
Chris Stein of Blondie
Arlo Guthrie
Guster
rhythm section of Biohazard
Eric Bloom of Blue Oyster Cult
Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies
Robbie Robertson
Peter Green
Mickey Hart
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)