ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie Watts: The Flawless Stone Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 18th, 2005 12:51 AM
Bruno Stone We all have complaints about somebody in the band. Mick receiving that thing from the Queen, doing his crappy solo stuff ( i`m not saying it, i`m writing what i read you saying ).... Keith playing badly ( I`m saying this ) and keeping this stupid rebel-pirate-pattetic image around him ( I`m getting tired about this ) when he`s not able to play solidly anymore.... Ronnie and his sloppiness onstage and his low guitar ( Keith`s fault, for sure )...

And Charlie? Fuck, this guy never fails.

He`s always playing good, he`s decently a 60 years old rock drummer. He never did anything stupid. Search anything in their long career: NOTHING STUPID.

And he, along Mick, still can play onstage.

Hail Hail to our great and elegant drummer, the ``tranquilo***`` Mr. Carlie Watts, the flawless stone.

*** As Mick introduced him in one of the Rio shows at BTB 98. Translation: the ``calm`` Charlie Watts.
March 18th, 2005 07:09 AM
corgi37 Surely Matt Clifford could be called the Flawless Stone.
March 18th, 2005 07:11 AM
J.J.Flash Bless you my brother!

Charlie is the key, I admire this man, what a dovoted Rock'n'Roller!
March 18th, 2005 07:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
He`s always playing good, he`s decently a 60 years old rock drummer. He never did anything stupid. Search anything in their long career: NOTHING STUPID.

well,a few years of heroin addiction and a barbiturate problem in the mid 80's I'd describe as "stupid" for a man in his mid 40's to be getting into, but who's perfect and thankfully for him, his family and all of us, he turned that around.

Charlie is basically the anithesis of a "rock star" yet he's been in the most famous, wildest and biggest band of them all for over four decades. That in itself is admirable, as is the fact that amidst all that mayhem he's been happily married for 41 years without a whiff of scandal.

I think the Stones have benefitted greatly from that mixture of both hedonistic wildness AND stability down the years within the personnel of the band.

In his own way, Charlie Watts may very well be the coolest man on the planet.

oh, and on the last couple of tours he's been better than ever. I don't know how he does it, quite honestly
[Edited by Gazza]
March 18th, 2005 07:39 AM
egon charlie, the king of cool.
March 18th, 2005 08:41 AM
thejuf hear, hear!!!
March 18th, 2005 08:46 AM
gimmekeef The truth is I believe..when Charlie says its over...ITS OVER.....He is magnificent...Great post!
March 18th, 2005 09:31 AM
nankerphelge Couldn't agree with you more Gazza -- the personification of class and elegance is the drummer for the Stones.

Who'da thunk it.
March 18th, 2005 09:33 AM
Zeeta Fuckin Legend!

We should start a Charlie Watts photo pix thread!

There is a god!!!!!!! And he is here!
March 18th, 2005 09:34 AM
J.J.Flash Better than ever indeed Gary!
March 18th, 2005 09:36 AM
J.J.Flash AMEN Matt!!!!

HEck.... and the motherfucker was fuckin' handsome..... take a look......Handsome Devil!
March 18th, 2005 10:45 AM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
AMEN Matt!!!!

HEck.... and the motherfucker was fuckin' handsome..... take a look......Handsome Devil!

Charlie may be the glue that has held the stones together over the last few tours!
March 18th, 2005 10:50 AM
LadyJane Couldn't agree more and check out today's Superblow pics!

More Charlie in Superblow...your wish is my command!!

LJ.
March 18th, 2005 11:04 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Charlie may be the glue that has held the stones together over the last few tours!

Certainly Puggy!
March 18th, 2005 01:14 PM
kath sigh....i've been telling folks about charlie for years and years....

they don't get any better than he is. you can just see him and know that he has been a faithful husband all these years, no matter how many bras have been tossed at him. and he IS the glue that holds them together. a man of dignity, integrity, decency. his parlay into amphetimines and smack was sort of inevitable, but he pulled himself out of it without a lot of drama and got his shit straight.

he is the cream of the crop, our charlie.
March 18th, 2005 01:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Certainly Puggy!

you make me very happy!
March 18th, 2005 02:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
AMEN Matt!!!!

WAS? Last time I looked he still IS handsome. The older he gets, in fact, the more handsome he gets. Dignified too. Sort of the complete antithesis of Keith!

(I love Keith and expect I will end up more like him - a silly old pirate. In fact I may already be there!)

My favorite moment of any Stones show is when Mick introduces Charlie and we scream ourselves hoarse and make Charlie blush. He is The MAN.

When Charlie had his health scare last year, and then it was announced on the news that he'd been given a clean bill of health, I found myself choking up and wiping tears away.
I really love the guy.

[Edited by FPM C10]
March 18th, 2005 03:04 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

you make me very happy!

Puggster........

any word from Joeykins?!?!? This silence scares the shit outta me......I bet it was due to his dinner habits......

Please... keep me informed!

Starsky & Hutch!
March 18th, 2005 03:06 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

WAS? Last time I looked he still IS handsome. The older he gets, in fact, the more handsome he gets. Dignified too. Sort of the complete antithesis of Keith!

(I love Keith and expect I will end up more like him - a silly old pirate. In fact I may already be there!)

My favorite moment of any Stones show is when Mick introduces Charlie and we scream ourselves hoarse and make Charlie blush. He is The MAN.

When Charlie had his health scare last year, and then it was announced on the news that he'd been given a clean bill of health, I found myself choking up and wiping tears away.
I really love the guy.

[Edited by FPM C10]

Exactly what I meant buddy! Still handsome english man
March 18th, 2005 03:15 PM
Bruno Stone We all love Charlie, our darling.

I know i'm being stupid, but i feel Charlie must be glorified all the time, even if we all know who he is and what he means....

Yeah, we all know that, but I'll repeat anyway: Charlie, you are one of my heroes, you rock!
March 18th, 2005 03:32 PM
LadyJane I'm kind of ashamed/embarrassed to say this, but I don't get to church very often anymore. When I heard of Charlie's illness I found myself at Mass and afterward lighting a candle for Charlie...The tears were streaming down my face as I begged for his recovery.

He is so beloved. I cannot wait to cheer for him this Tour. I think shouts of "Charlie" will abound way before the formal introductions.

LJ.
March 18th, 2005 03:37 PM
kath yeah, we will bring the house down when charlie is introduced this time around. we always do, but this time we will scare the hell out of the venue managers!! we'll rattle the timbers!!!

did you know that he was voted the most handsome man in all england? yup, he was, several years ago. he is stunning. his skin is almost translucent.

and i love to see him blush when we all chant "charlie! char-lee! char-lee!".

i was petrified when i heard he had cancer. absolutely terrified. i can't imagine a world without charlie.
March 18th, 2005 04:26 PM
thejuf the best banner(last tour):

"Charlie, please behave".

that certainly made my day!!!

btw, there is a great charlie pic thread on Shidoobee:
http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm399.showMessage?topicID=3.topic
March 18th, 2005 04:27 PM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Puggster........

any word from Joeykins?!?!? This silence scares the shit outta me......I bet it was due to his dinner habits......

Please... keep me informed!

Starsky & Hutch!

JOey is off of work today. He is celebrating it with a massive release of bowels.

we wish him the best.
March 18th, 2005 04:35 PM
kath let 'er rip, joeykins!!!
March 18th, 2005 04:56 PM
gimmekeef Imagine if they opened at Fenway...dark stage except on ebig white light focused on Charlie..then he kicks into
March 18th, 2005 04:56 PM
gimmekeef PAINT IT BLACK!
March 18th, 2005 05:00 PM
kath goosepimples, i tells ya! i got goosepimples thinkin about that!!
March 18th, 2005 06:18 PM
Soldatti Charlie is the man, he's the soul of the Stones.
March 18th, 2005 07:15 PM
kath remember when they opened with "not fade away" and you could hear charlie POUNDING those drums before you saw mick or keef or ronnie......it was awesome!!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood