ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any Solomon Burke Fans Here? (Recomendations Needed) Return to archive
March 16th, 2005 05:17 PM
justinkurian Hey what's up everyone,

I'm just getting into Solomon Burke...saw him live at BB King's in NYC a few weeks ago. I picked up his last two (Make Do With What You Got, Don't Give Up On Me) and a two disc greatest hits set and "The Bell Sessions" from '69/'70.

I was wondering if there were any recomendations for albums or compilations from the '70s through the mid 90s?

Thanks.
March 16th, 2005 11:20 PM
Make It Funky Well... I think if you've got the early Atlantic ones.. and that Rhino re-release thing, AND the two new ones (Fat Possum records)... erm.. do you really need any more??? I think you've pretty much exhausted it... unless he did some kind of extra curricular activity, like a Christmas Album or Songs Sung at Funerals to promote is side projects... I think youre' good man.

Do you know of that faily obscure record Stevie Winwood put out in 1978, it had palm trees on it... I forget it.. but I remember vaguely how amazing some of those rare tracks were... it was an official release... on Blackwell's label Island I think... hm...

Cheers mate. Happy trails.
March 17th, 2005 10:40 AM
Nasty Habits Well, that's not entirely accurate. The man recorded some pretty interesting records in the 70s, including the Swamp Dogg produced Fences and Walls. But the best album he did in the 70s or 80s is Soul Alive, a great double LP he did on the Rounder label.

I'd avoid his Apollo stuff recorded before Atlantic - it's really not anywhere near as good as the Atlantic discs.

Go much beyond those two releases and I would say you are in the realm of a devotee, not a novice no more.

What do you think of the new album? For me it's another reason to throttle Don Was. Great material, though, and SB is great on it.

The Bell Sessions disc kills, huh? Love the Generations of Revelations!

March 17th, 2005 03:13 PM
justinkurian Yah, the 'Bell Sessions' album is great - I picked up the expanded edition, which has a few extra tracks. Most notably Burke doing Dylan's 'Quinn the Eskimo.'

I like the new album - though it's much glossier than 'Don't Give Up On Me.' But, I'm sure that's how Was wanted it. But, great vocals from Solomon and a nice selection of songs.

I think 'Fences and Walls' was repackaged - I ordered 'Let Your Love Flow' which has the same tracks, I think.

Nasty - what's the lowdown on Soul Alive? I couldn't find any info on it. But, I'll assume it's live.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood