ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most "Politically Incorrect" Stones Song Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 17th, 2005 08:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've often wondered how a band that is so un-PC seems to attract people who are all about being PC.

I mean, there's people who call themselves Stones fans who want to pray for you. There's feminist Stones fans. There's cop Stones fans. There's Stones fans who are outraged that a former President got a hummer from an intern, but think it's fine for one of the Stones to commit adultery with a Prime Minister's wife.

It's very strange when you think about it.

maybe so, but the Stones are also NOT the same band or anti-authority figures they once were either. The band has evolved into something else. So have many of their fans.
March 17th, 2005 08:16 AM
gimmekeef These songs are what gave the Stones their edge.We need a new album laced with Jaggerized songs just like these.No more endless droning of Dont Stop...over and over and over again!
March 17th, 2005 08:58 AM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:
(...)
Some Girls is so obviously tongue in cheek only an oversensitive idiot with no sense of humour could take it seriously and get all worked up about it (hello, Reverend Jackson)
(...)

And, besides, black girls really just think in fuck all night...
March 17th, 2005 09:09 AM
Jumacfly respectable....sex drugs and rock n roll Stones anthem for sure!!
March 17th, 2005 09:10 AM
LadyJane When you think about it, really, howe many POLITICALLY CORRECT songs have the Stones done????

That's the question.

LJ.
March 17th, 2005 09:50 AM
Gazza about 2 and a half!
March 17th, 2005 09:53 AM
Zeeta BUT I JUST DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH JAM!!!!!

Superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17th, 2005 10:19 AM
Nasty Habits It is rather telling that no one has brought up a single song in the last 16 years of Stonesness. Gazza is right - the band has morphed into something else. Jagger has gotten PC enough to change the age of the girl in Stray Cat and to change the racial identity of girls who want to get fucked all night. This is a rather depressing state of affairs.

Gone are the days when Jesse Jackson or feminist groups would get truly upset at them. Next thing you know, it'll be "when you need a Coke and sympathy" with Mick holding a can of coke, flashink his diamond tooth, rather than "when you need a little coke and sympathy". After all, kids are going to these shows, can't have no drug references.

What about When the Whip Comes Down? I have never been able to fully figure out the narrative structure of that song but it seems like it's about a gay trash collector in New York City who discovers the joys of club hopping on a civil servant salary . . . Some Girls is overall probably their most consistently naughty album.

March 17th, 2005 10:56 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Some Girls is overall probably their most consistently naughty album.

And best!!!!

And best produced!!!

Stones now in many ways represent the establishment rather than challenge it.
March 17th, 2005 03:27 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No. The song is a tribute. Pure and simple. The derogatory references are how the subject of the song is seen by others, but not by the writer.

Ok how about "Who made Who"...
March 17th, 2005 09:06 PM
souldoggie The Stones writing songs that are polictically correct? God help us all. THAT'S when I throw in the towel. And as far as liberal feminists that dig the Stones...it's just that, every now and then, they feel the need to connect to their inner slut. And God bless 'em for it.
March 17th, 2005 11:37 PM
gorda How about Midnight Rambler?

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

Did you hear about the midnight rambler
Everybody got to go
The one that shut the kitchen door
He don't give a hoot of warning
Wrapped up in a black cat cloak
He don't go in the light of the morning
He split the time the cock'rel crows

Talkin' about the midnight gambler
The one you never seen before
Did you see him jump the garden wall
Sighin' down the wind so sadly
Listen and you'll hear him moan
Everybody got to go

Well, honey, it's no rock 'n' roll show
Well, I'm talkin' about the midnight gambler
Yeah, everybody got to go

Well did ya hear about the midnight gambler?
Well honey its no rock-in' roll show
Well I'm talking about the midnight gambler
The one you never seen before

Oh don't do that, oh don't do that, oh don't do that
Don't you do that, don't you do that (repeat)
Oh don't do that, oh don't do that

Well you heard about the Boston...
It's not one of those
Well, talkin' 'bout the midnight...sh...
The one that closed the bedroom door
I'm called the hit-and-run raper in anger
The knife-sharpened tippie-toe...
Or just the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler
You know, the one you never seen before

So if you ever meet the midnight rambler
Coming down your marble hall
Well he's pouncing like proud black panther
Well, you can say I, I told you so
Well, don't you listen for the midnight rambler
Play it easy, as you go
I'm gonna smash down all your plate glass windows
Put a fist, put a fist through your steel-plated door

He'll leave his footprints up and down your hall
And did you hear about the midnight gambler
And did you see me make my midnight call

And if you ever catch the midnight rambler
I'll steal your mistress from under your nose
I'll go easy with your cold fanged anger
I'll stick my knife right down your throat, baby
And it hurts!
March 18th, 2005 01:10 AM
Sir Stonesalot Sure you're right Gazza. The Stones have certainly changed. And so has the Stones fan base.

But that still doesn't change the fact that there are many folks who are straight PC who dig the most UN-pc songs in the Stones catalogue. Are they just not paying attention? Did they dig these songs back when they, along with the Stones, were un-pc and still dig the songs now from force of habit? Are those songs THAT powerful? Or maybe Stones fans, being smarter than the average bear, realize that songs are simply that...songs, and not something to feel threatened by.

For the time, Street Fighting Man was pretty un-pc! How about the promo movie for "We Love You"...pretty un-pc for the time.
March 18th, 2005 04:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Sure you're right Gazza. The Stones have certainly changed. And so has the Stones fan base.

But that still doesn't change the fact that there are many folks who are straight PC who dig the most UN-pc songs in the Stones catalogue. Are they just not paying attention? Did they dig these songs back when they, along with the Stones, were un-pc and still dig the songs now from force of habit?

I do wonder about that myself sometimes!
March 18th, 2005 07:54 AM
charlotte Mick himself has commented a few times he now feels responsible for his lyrics and would never write about the use of sex,drugs and alcohol...
March 18th, 2005 12:07 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Sure you're right Gazza. The Stones have certainly changed. And so has the Stones fan base.

But that still doesn't change the fact that there are many folks who are straight PC who dig the most UN-pc songs in the Stones catalogue. Are they just not paying attention? Did they dig these songs back when they, along with the Stones, were un-pc and still dig the songs now from force of habit? Are those songs THAT powerful? Or maybe Stones fans, being smarter than the average bear, realize that songs are simply that...songs, and not something to feel threatened by.

For the time, Street Fighting Man was pretty un-pc! How about the promo movie for "We Love You"...pretty un-pc for the time.

Street Fightin' Man was UNpc only for those who did not bother to read the lyrics. It was very PC in its time preaching pacifism rather than revolution. No?
March 18th, 2005 12:37 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
charlotte wrote:
Mick himself has commented a few times he now feels responsible for his lyrics and would never write about the use of sex,drugs and alcohol...

Pityful.....
March 18th, 2005 01:09 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies It's odd that Stray Cat Blues isn't getting more air time on this thread. Even the most obscene, hardcore rapper out there today wouldn't even dare to even hint at sex with a 13 year old girl - let alone sex with two 13 year old girls - let alone "bet your Momma never saw you scratch my back / bet your Momma never heard you scream like that" when describing sex with the said 13 year old girl. What was considered cute and charming and mildly risque back than is completely taboo now. (Don't believe me? Read the lyrics to Zep's "Sick Again" or ZZ Top's "Francine".) The culture has changed dramatically since 1969. The boob-wall-zee is in a tizzy. Now we've got a pop star on trial because a 13 year old boy saw his Playboy magazine. As Lennon said "strange days indeed."
Speaking of cultural change and changing political correctness: Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old girl and admittedly was banned from pop radio, but primarily because his divorce was not yet finalized when he remarried. A year later Elvis married a 14 year old girl (you do the math) and is now considered a clean cut American pop icon. The politically incorrect Bill Wyman wasn't exactly setting pop star presitent. Shifting cultural mores are a problem for a band with the longevity of the Stones. I think changing the lyrics in modern live performance is a necassary evil and not necassarily a sell out to political correctness. A sell out to PC was Mick, as seen in Four Flicks, driving around in a hybrid car for us commoners to see and emilate (oh yeah, like Mick drives around in one of those things everyday), when at another point on the DVD he was telling us of his personal pride in needing like 15 - 20 (I dont remember the exact number but hypocrisy is hypocrisy) diesel trucks to move his show around the country. Or how bout using Bill Clinton to introduce the band. When did the stones become politically correct activists and not boheimien rock and rollers? About the same time I stopped buying their records.
March 18th, 2005 01:28 PM
Gazza >Speaking of cultural change and changing political correctness: Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old girl and admittedly was banned from pop radio, but primarily because his divorce was not yet finalized when he remarried. A year later Elvis married a 14 year old girl (you do the math) and is now considered a clean cut American pop icon.

Good points throughout although a minor nitpick with the Elvis one. Priscilla was indeed 14 when she and Elvis met, but was 21 when they got married. Her parents gave their permission for her to move into Graceland, live with Elvis' dad and stepmother, and they took care of her schooling. Basically she was groomed to be his wife and stayed a virgin until she was married (although Elvis did his fair share of shagging and openly dating other women until they did get married). Hardly on a par with Bill or Jerry Lee lewis.
March 18th, 2005 07:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
It's odd that Stray Cat Blues isn't getting more air time on this thread. Even the most obscene, hardcore rapper out there today wouldn't even dare to even hint at sex with a 13 year old girl - let alone sex with two 13 year old girls - let alone "bet your Momma never saw you scratch my back / bet your Momma never heard you scream like that" when describing sex with the said 13 year old girl. What was considered cute and charming and mildly risque back than is completely taboo now. (Don't believe me? Read the lyrics to Zep's "Sick Again" or ZZ Top's "Francine".) The culture has changed dramatically since 1969. The boob-wall-zee is in a tizzy. Now we've got a pop star on trial because a 13 year old boy saw his Playboy magazine. As Lennon said "strange days indeed."
Speaking of cultural change and changing political correctness: Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old girl and admittedly was banned from pop radio, but primarily because his divorce was not yet finalized when he remarried. A year later Elvis married a 14 year old girl (you do the math) and is now considered a clean cut American pop icon. The politically incorrect Bill Wyman wasn't exactly setting pop star presitent. Shifting cultural mores are a problem for a band with the longevity of the Stones. I think changing the lyrics in modern live performance is a necassary evil and not necassarily a sell out to political correctness. A sell out to PC was Mick, as seen in Four Flicks, driving around in a hybrid car for us commoners to see and emilate (oh yeah, like Mick drives around in one of those things everyday), when at another point on the DVD he was telling us of his personal pride in needing like 15 - 20 (I dont remember the exact number but hypocrisy is hypocrisy) diesel trucks to move his show around the country. Or how bout using Bill Clinton to introduce the band. When did the stones become politically correct activists and not boheimien rock and rollers? About the same time I stopped buying their records.

good post

quoth Jerry Lee, from a 1980's version of Whole Lotta Shakin' - "Did you hear the one about the fella who married his 13 year old cousin and found out she wasn't still a virgin? Think about it Myra! Write yourself another damn book, baby!"

from the moment I heard it back when I was 16, this in 1987 or something, there has never been any song more shocking than the Beggar's Banquet version of Stray Cat.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
March 19th, 2005 11:33 AM
glencar The Stones started being politically correct around Tattoo You. They received high praise for "Waiting On A Friend" because it was all about his love for a lady instead of just banging & leaving. As for this silliness about how could conservatives like the Stones since they're so unPC, conservatives generally aren't the ones who get stuck on PC notions. It's usually liberals who get all hot & bothered if you call someone a girl or a black as opposed to a womyn or an African-American.
March 19th, 2005 03:17 PM
Gazza thats a fair point
March 19th, 2005 06:12 PM
glencar Ah, I see you've added a new signature line...Very nice. I hope there's a DVD release of that show but they'd have to get a legal approval from Mick.
March 19th, 2005 09:39 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies I've got that live recording of Jerry Lee too. I think he makes that comment on the Palomino club recordings at some point or other in one of the shows; I don't remember exactly. I'm a big fan of Jerry Lee. He got a rare deal. And he is the true father of Rock n Roll in my book. Jerry Lee "Live in Hamburg in '64" is simply the greatest live album ever recorded, if not the greatest rock n roll album period. John Lennon didn't kneel down and kiss Jerry Lee's feet for no reason. Chuck Berry gave us the guitar licks of rock n roll and Jerry Lee gave us everything else. Elvis brought little to the table other than good looks and charm, in my humble opinion. He made it ok for respectable people to rock n roll. I'm sure you are right on the facts of Elvis's marriage, although 21 sounds older than I thought she was. I knew they had "lived" together before marriage - supposedly under parental suppervision. Yeah right! Sounds a lot like parents shamelessly pimpin their pubescent teen out to a fabulously rich pop star in the hopes of material gain, which come to think of it sounds familiar. I recently saw an interveiw with mrs pressley in which she explained to the world that she was indeed a virgin when they married but that E had taught her how to give him oral up to that point - apparently the parental supervision was off duty on those nights. And some how apparently she thinks that that is more acceptable and softens things up and makes it all ok. Strange days indeed.

I disaggree that the Stones have become completely PC in the post Tatto You era. How 'bout the "fuck your sweet ass" line from Voodoo Lounge, released during the height of the sensitive alterna hunk period of Pearl Jam et al. It's hard to imagine Eddie Vedder singing a line like that. And there is the b-side song "To Young" or "So Young" or something like that. sorry, i sold most of my Stones paraphenalia and cant look that sort of thing up easily. Its the b-side about teenage drag, speaking broken french, and puttin his dick back on a leash - hardly a PC song. As I said it's not the new pc songs that bug me its the new pc endorsements that "gets on my tit" (As Keith said during an interview when another born again rocker witnessed to him about Jesus too many times.) The band took pride in not getting politically involved in the hyper political environment of the late 60s early 70s. I remember reading an interveiw with Keith in the 80s in which he said he was proud that the Stones had only given lip service to the whole hippie thing. And Mick is quoted in the Stanley Booth book saying he just wanted people to get up and shake their asses at his concerts. The concerts where about gettin you-all's awsses out, not about making political statements. The band stayed out of politics during that era of assisins and demonstrations only to now have boring ex-presidents introducing them on stage. "nobody told me there'd be days like these, strange days indeed."
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood