ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most "Politically Incorrect" Stones Song Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 16th, 2005 04:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Under My Thumb????
March 16th, 2005 04:04 PM
glencar That or "Stupid Girl." They went through a whole misogyny period. Good times, good times...
March 16th, 2005 04:08 PM
FPM C10 "Some Girls"
March 16th, 2005 04:10 PM
Riffhard "Some Girls" by a country mile.

"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"-Jagger on the response to Some Girls

Riffhard
March 16th, 2005 04:10 PM
Irresistible-Lady Undercover?
March 16th, 2005 04:12 PM
glencar Wha-wha-what? How is "Undercover" at all "politically incorrect?" Do you understand the term at all?
March 16th, 2005 04:13 PM
LadyJane "Some Girls" is the first one to pop into my head.

LJ.
March 16th, 2005 04:35 PM
Gazza Under My Thumb

Some Girls is so obviously tongue in cheek only an oversensitive idiot with no sense of humour could take it seriously and get all worked up about it (hello, Reverend Jackson)

Some people have mentioned "Stupid Girl" as if its some damnation of the entire female species when it's only a put down of one individual.

"Stray Cat Blues" alludes to underage sex however, so I think thats pretty politically incorrect to say the least!
[Edited by Gazza]
March 16th, 2005 04:38 PM
sirmoonie Sympathy for the Devil by a mile.

Some Girls
UMT

Pay Their Dues?
March 16th, 2005 04:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Sympathy for the Devil by a mile.

Some Girls
UMT

Pay Their Dues?

starfucker?
Little T and A
Highwire
March 16th, 2005 04:46 PM
Gazza "Sympathy" is indeed a good choice, if not so obvious as we tend to think of political correctness as being mostly concerned with sexism or ethnic streotyping. "T&A" is another one - sure.

Not so sure about "High wire" being ever accused of political incorrectness, though, although they did get flak about it from the more jingoistic press like "The Sun" before it came out and when the Gulf War was still going on. In the end, the song wasnt really that controversial at all.
March 16th, 2005 04:56 PM
MrPleasant If politically incorrect speeches are considered within the definition of "obscenity", then it would be "Cocksucker Blues", IMO.
March 16th, 2005 05:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
If politically incorrect speeches are considered within the definition of "obscenity", then it would be "Cocksucker Blues", IMO.

very good one!

how bout hysymbsits, simply for the cover of them dressed in drag?
March 16th, 2005 05:09 PM
Riffhard Well tounge in cheek or not the line "black girls just wanna fuck all night..." is about as un-PC as you can get. Mind you,the line in Stray Cat Blues concerning thirteen years olds and their friends is right up there.

Toss up for me. Some Girls and SCB.

I don't really think that "Little T&A" is really un-PC considering Keith sings it as a term of endearment to Pattie. A little sexist? Sure,but Keith has stated that he is singing about Pattie so I think that lifts it out of the realm of un-PCism.

Riffhard
March 16th, 2005 05:09 PM
gimmekeef Scarred old slaver now he's doin alright..hear him whip the women just around midnight.....
March 16th, 2005 05:56 PM
kath LOTS of stones songs are un-pc.....

i've often wondered if charlie ever has any "moral indignation" or anything at some of their lyrics....guess the "KA-CHINK" sound is more important...
March 16th, 2005 06:58 PM
Soldatti Some Girls and Under Mt Thumb.
March 16th, 2005 07:37 PM
Poplar
"Family" ... downright raunchy.

March 16th, 2005 08:17 PM
time is on my side Some Girls
March 16th, 2005 09:03 PM
Angiegirl Now I've Got A Witness
March 16th, 2005 09:20 PM
rolling who "Sittin' on a Fence" should be up there -- "Some of the sick things that a girl does to a man..."

The top 6 are:
"Some Girls"
"Brown Sugar"
"Under My Thumb"
"Stupid Girl"
"Sittin' on a Fence"
"Complicated"

Doesn't "Memo From Turner" have some line about a "Jew," as well? (I know that's a Jagger solo song)
March 16th, 2005 09:34 PM
Taptrick

I can see that your just 13 years old
March 16th, 2005 09:44 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Unofficially, it would probably have to be Cocksucker Blues or Andrew's Blues.

Officially, Star Star or Some Girls.
March 16th, 2005 09:49 PM
Gazza "Fight" is definitely one of the least-PC songs of the lot!!!

and to a lesser extent, "Tie You Up" and "All The Way Down"
March 16th, 2005 10:18 PM
Soldatti
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Doesn't "Memo From Turner" have some line about a "Jew," as well? (I know that's a Jagger solo song)

It's a Stones song too (see Metamorphosis) and about the jew line is very insignificant to be PI, just IMO.
March 17th, 2005 12:03 AM
polksalad69
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Scarred old slaver now he's doin alright..hear him whip the women just around midnight.....

that's the first one that came to mind, but there are plenty others so I wont bother. great thread!
March 17th, 2005 02:07 AM
Sir Stonesalot I've often wondered how a band that is so un-PC seems to attract people who are all about being PC.

I mean, there's people who call themselves Stones fans who want to pray for you. There's feminist Stones fans. There's cop Stones fans. There's Stones fans who are outraged that a former President got a hummer from an intern, but think it's fine for one of the Stones to commit adultery with a Prime Minister's wife.

It's very strange when you think about it.

Most un-pc songs?

Midnight Rambler....I'll slide my knife right down your throat baby, and it hurts!
Stray Cat Blues...I don't want your ID.

See, I don't see Under My Thumb un-pc. It's a song about the change of power in a relationship. The girl had it first, then the change has come, now she's under my thumb. Not literally, of course, but the guy took the lead role in the relationship. And when that song was released, well, the thought of a relationship as being a partnership wasn't really a widespread view. The husband was still considered "head of the household". Men were supposed to take charge of the relationship, to have the upper hand. Now, if that song were to be written and released now, then it would be un-pc. But not in the mid sixties.

Little T&A is a love song. If you look at it from a Keefian perspective anyway. Tits and ass and soul honey uhh huh huh = You are beautiful and have a big heart, I love you. Nothing un-pc about that.
March 17th, 2005 05:44 AM
IanBillen
What about Sweet Black Angel? From Exile. Some very controversial lyrics indeed.

Ian
March 17th, 2005 05:48 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER Sympathy
Sweet black anger
Starfucker
Respectable Undercover
Higwire
Midnight rambler
Street fighting man
March 17th, 2005 08:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

What about Sweet Black Angel? From Exile. Some very controversial lyrics indeed.

Ian

No. The song is a tribute. Pure and simple. The derogatory references are how the subject of the song is seen by others, but not by the writer.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood