ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: never carry anything sharper than a banana Return to archive
March 16th, 2005 03:49 PM
kath because you might have to eat it.

quote:
LONDON Mar 16, 2005 — Robert Downey had the mask and the attitude to be a successful robber. But he ruined the effect when he tried to stage a hold-up at his local bookmaker's shop using a banana.

Noting the suspicious bend in the so-called "weapon," the clerk calmly called the police and on Wednesday, Downey was jailed for nearly seven years for attempted robbery.

Prosecutors at the trial at Southwark Crown Court in London said Downey, a drug addict, hatched his scheme to buy more crack.

Donning a mask, he headed for the bookmaker's shop, pausing only to get a banana from the greengrocer on the way.

In the bookmaker's, he pointed the fruit wrapped in a plastic bag, screaming, "I want the money or I will (expletive) shoot you."

This did not produce the desired effect: assistant Peter Humphrey calmly turned to a colleague and said: "He said he has a gun, but it might be a banana."

Downey then produced a pair of scissors, "but seeing no money was going to be handed over he ran out of the shop," said prosecutor Patrick Cahill.

When police arrived they found the 24-year-old nearby trying to pull off his over-tight balaclava. A police dog found the badly bruised banana still in its bag nearby.

Downey, of Chatham, south of London, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted robbery at William Claridges Ltd. in Tower Hamlets, east London, in November. He also admitted possessing an imitation firearm.

"You did say, although it may seem comic now but not quite so comic at the time, that in the bag was a firearm," Justice Paul Dodgson told Downey.

"As it's been pointed out by your counsel that was an attempt that met with no success. Indeed, your victims having guessed what it was, it was never going to succeed."

Downey's lawyer, Rajiv Menon, called the robbery attempt "farcical and incompetent."

"We have to face facts. It was a banana, not even a plastic gun, or something that even looked like a gun. Not only that, but neither of the bookies was scared."

March 16th, 2005 03:52 PM
Joey

< ------------------March 16, 2005

According to Nigel Godrich, Paul's album will be released on September 20, 2005.

http://homepage.mac.com/paul_mccartney/macca_report/news.htm
March 16th, 2005 04:00 PM
kath i give up.
March 16th, 2005 04:02 PM
Irresistible-Lady not give up..please stay and entertain..:-} i like it
March 16th, 2005 04:50 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
i give up.

I'm dreaming from the waist on down .
March 16th, 2005 05:53 PM
kath jeeez joey, i've always been nice to you.......

harumph. i'll leave. that's what i'll do. and then you'll be sorry. i'll show you. but who would then channel me to this board??? oh dear.....

guess i have to stay.....
March 16th, 2005 05:54 PM
glencar Is KR210 still around?
March 16th, 2005 05:55 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
jeeez joey, i've always been nice to you.......

harumph. i'll leave. that's what i'll do. and then you'll be sorry. i'll show you. but who would then channel me to this board??? oh dear.....

guess i have to stay.....

Oh Kath ......................My Stonesian Princess :

Come to Joey !!!!!!!

March 16th, 2005 05:58 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is KR210 still around?

I thought KY was for A##holes ?!?!

March 16th, 2005 06:17 PM
kath i dunno where he is, he posts on sdb sometimes. but he gave up ownership of the lounge to lori. guess he was too busy or something. had an actual life. we did not part on good terms, which is too bad. but goddamn politics....
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood