ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (not that I totally care) But why no other U2 single thus far?.....From Ian Return to archive
March 16th, 2005 05:08 AM
IanBillen
Not that I am that interested (although I did buy the album because I thought Vertigo was the best single they ever did)

But when is U2 going to release another single from this album? It seems a bit over-due being as Vertigo first showed up last fall and has now lost it's shelf life.

Seems a bit strange. Just thought I would share this to see if it may of occured to anyone eles.

Ian
March 16th, 2005 05:14 AM
Gazza "Sometimes You Cant Make It on Your Own" was released a few weeks ago
March 16th, 2005 05:42 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Sometimes You Cant Make It on Your Own" was released a few weeks ago

I F*#!in knew it Gazza. This post had you written all over it to reply. Thanks. In my opinion this was the second best track on the album. See Gazza. You ARE infact musically educated.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 16th, 2005 06:11 AM
Gazza LOL. Not really, but thanks. Maybe it's just been more high profile over here than in the US, although I don't really listen to the radio or watch much music TV myself.

I guess I would just have been aware of it from seeing the news section on u2.com when looking for tour updates.
March 16th, 2005 08:18 AM
gimmekeef Ian..I'm more inclined to think in regards to what your topic has (in brackets)....
March 16th, 2005 08:56 AM
Factory Girl The cd is awful. Vertigo got old very fast.
March 16th, 2005 10:04 AM
Joey

I hate to say it , but U2 is currently making a very strong case as " The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World "

......and they STILL worship THE WHO too !!!!!

http://www.interference.com/u2118037/index.html

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=3863

Joey Mullet ! ™

[ Edited by SUP ]
[Edited by Joey]
March 16th, 2005 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:

I hate to say it , but U2 is currently making a very strong case as " The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World "

By default, more than anything.

In all honesty, there arent many good rock 'n' roll bands around anymore.

Most so-called 'challengers' to that title tend to fizzle out or implode very quickly.

U2's main plus point is that they've remained active and high profile for a long time. They're only worthy of consideration when the Stones are on hiatus anyway.

I do find the 'rock n roll' tag a bit risible though as having grown up in a country musically dominated and influenced by U2 throughout their career, they would have pretty much scoffed at the idea of being called a "rock n roll band" until they started finally tapping into rock n roll's glorious past sometime around the late 80's.

I remember Bono interviewing Dylan for "Hot Press" magazine in 1984 and bemoaning the fact that musically his band doesn't "connect back" and that it's a form of music that's rootless or "lost in space somewhere".

Three years later, they're recording at Sun, playing live with BB King, recording with Dylan and all of a sudden they're the living embodiment of rock 'n' roll, if you believe the bullshit.

I think they're a terrific band and a great live act, but I think they've had to re-invent themselves in so many ways to earn this "great rock n roll band" tag. To other artists, that comes more naturally. Like the Stones.

..plus if you're going to allow solo artists with great backing bands into your category of "greatest rock n roll band in the world", then Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Steve Earle and The Dukes and Neil Young & Crazy Horse are all STILL far better 'rock n roll' bands than U2 will ever be.
March 16th, 2005 10:42 AM
Joey [quote]Gazza wrote:

By default, more than anything. "

" The Who's Pete Townshend is another name that came up often among U2 fans on the Interference.com message boards, citing Bono's recent proclamations that The Who "is everything U2 wanted to be" when the Dublin lads were first starting out. Perhaps appropriately, it was Bono who inducted The Who into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. "

http://forum.interference.com/t109507.html
March 16th, 2005 10:53 AM
Gazza The Who are still one of the greatest live acts in the world but its hard to make a case for them being referred to as a band when they havent recorded anything in 23 years and their entire act is nostalgia-based.

Recording-wise, they've been about as active in the last quarter of a century as The Clash or The Wailers!

Hopefully that'll change with their upcoming release but effectively these days The Who are a band whose existence relies solely on Pete's whims.
March 16th, 2005 11:02 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Hopefully that'll change with their upcoming release but effectively these days The Who are a band whose existence relies solely on Pete's whims.

" 'Tommy' is the subject of a new year long exhibition at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Opening on April 7th the exhibition looks at the conceptual work from it's very beginnings through to its latest stage incarnations.

Pete has loaned the museum many of his previously unseen manuscripts, notes, lyrics, original tape boxes (amongst other things) and has been suppotive of the exhibition since it was first suggested two years ago.

As well as the exhibition the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is providing a full supporting programme, including talks by Chris Stamp, Jeff Stein, Des MacAnuff and Murray Lerner. The full details are contained in the following press release by the Hall of Fame."

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=102&zone=pr

J.

March 16th, 2005 11:08 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Recording-wise, they've been about as active in the last quarter of a century as The Clash or The Wailers!

Gazza .........................................

It is going to be a very busy weekend ( extended ) at THE BRAZEN HEAD . I am taking Friday off work not to recover from St. Patrick's Day ( I stay home -- amateur night ) , but to prepare for " Acoustic Groove " this Friday / Saturday Evening .

Meghan / Clive are working Friday Night and Shannon / Tom are working Saturday -- All wanted me to ask you what time they can begin pouring your pint so as to have it properly ' settled ' by the time you arrive .

Developing .............................

D. J. Jazzy Joe ! ™

http://www.gunnaronline.com/hear.htm
March 16th, 2005 11:18 AM
Gazza Joey O'Riley...

Sadly my liver has not recovered since the events of last weekend in London, and my bowels have still not closed properly since the excitement brought on by the unexpected arrival onstage of Michéal McJagger on Sunday night, so I regret that I shall be "confined to barracks" this weekend and pass up the tempting offer of several pints of green Guinnesses.

Please pass on my regrets to my favourite two barmaids

much love

Baba Gazza
[Edited by Gazza]
March 16th, 2005 11:20 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Joey O'Riley...

........... so I regret that I shall be "confined to barracks" this weekend and pass up the tempting offer of several pints of green Guinnesses.

Please pass on my regrets to my favourite two barmaids

YOU MAKE JOEY CRY --- LIKE BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

................and then , Depression set in Ronnie !!!!

*** Cue Bernstein music ***

Joey O ' Murray ™
March 16th, 2005 12:44 PM
Mikey Since The Who were cited, I must admit that Quadrophenia is truly excellent!
March 16th, 2005 02:21 PM
glencar What was that 30 years ago? The Who are retreading & not doing it all that well. U2 is still in the game but the new CD isn't what I hope for. I've only played it once which is still one more time than I played "Pop."
March 16th, 2005 02:28 PM
Joey
quote:
Mikey wrote:
I must admit that Quadrophenia is truly excellent!

Mikey ..........................................

I would like to nuzzle you .
March 16th, 2005 02:57 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Joey wrote:

......and they STILL worship THE WHO too !!!!!

http://www.interference.com/u2118037/index.html

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=3863

Joey Mullet ! ™

[ Edited by SUP ]
[Edited by Joey]

Joey,
This will all change when The new Stones album comes out.
And the boys hit the road with their tour.

Secondly,
Can you really call U2 Rock n Roll? Or a Rock N Roll Band? I suppose. Any thoughts?

Ian

March 16th, 2005 03:01 PM
Joey

" Joey,
This will all change when The new Stones album comes out.
And the boys hit the road with their tour. "

I hope so Ian , but I am not sure that individuals in their mid - 60's can write decent songs anymore ( Pete Townshend being the lone exception ) .

" Secondly,
Can you really call U2 Rock n Roll? Or a Rock N Roll Band? I suppose. Any thoughts? "

Any band that can charge two hundred / three hundred dollar ticket prices and ' get it ' COMMANDS respect ( see : THE EAGLES , THE WHO , STONES , MACCA , FLEETWOOD MAC , STEELY DAN ) .

Baby Joe ! ™

[ Edited by Fiji ]
[Edited by Joey]
March 16th, 2005 03:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:
Any band that can charge two hundred / three hundred dollar ticket prices and ' get it ' COMMANDS respect ( see : THE EAGLES , THE WHO , STONES , MACCA , FLEETWOOD MAC , STEELY DAN ) .

Baby Joe ! ™

[Edited by Joey]

Barbra Streisand???? :-)
March 16th, 2005 03:14 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Barbra Streisand???? :-)

March 16th, 2005 06:44 PM
Soldatti
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
But when is U2 going to release another single from this album? It seems a bit over-due being as Vertigo first showed up last fall and has now lost it's shelf life.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own was #1 in UK in February, their second #1 there in 3 months.
Vertigo, All Because Of You and Sometimes... are current chart hits on Billboard Modern Rock Tracks and Mainstream Rock Tracks.
March 16th, 2005 08:23 PM
Some Guy The new U2 still does not move me.
March 16th, 2005 10:40 PM
IanBillen
All very good replies and thanks for filling me in on their latest single that has just been released. I thank you very much folks.

Ian
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood