ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What sports team do you follow? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
March 12th, 2005 05:20 PM
Jumacfly
March 12th, 2005 05:24 PM
glencar LOL I had no idea there were so many French playing for Arsenal.
March 12th, 2005 08:14 PM
Gazza Their manager (Arsene Wenger) is French and many of their top stars are also French (Robert Pires, Patrick Vieira and the god-like genius that is Thierry Henry amongst others). Many of their top players in the last few seasons have been French too (Sylvain Wiltord, Emmanuel Petit, Nicolas Anelka, etc)

Nowadays most of the top European clubs are multi-national in the make up of their team (and coaching staff) because they can afford to buy the top stars from all over the world and there isnt the same restrictions on importing players as there used to be.

Arsenal actually fielded a 16 man squad for a game a couple of weeks back that didnt include a single English player.
March 12th, 2005 08:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
anyway I love soccer but international rugby games like the 6 nations in europe or the three nations in the south hemisphere are great to see too (when france wins)

grrrrr
March 12th, 2005 10:09 PM
2120SMA The Evil Empire!
March 12th, 2005 10:45 PM
BILL PERKS MIAMI DOLPHINS
ST LOUIS CARDINALS
MIAMI HURRICANES
MICHIGAN-COLLEGE BBALL
LAKERS
March 13th, 2005 02:54 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:

grrrrr

Gazza don't be angry, you know England is still champion of the world in Rugby!!and you just have beaten Italy this saturday, that's very good
Just kidding man of course
enjoy the show tonight!
March 13th, 2005 05:06 AM
corgi37 There is only 1 sport. And that is Aussie Rules football. All the others are just games.

I follow St.Kilda.
March 13th, 2005 12:50 PM
Taptrick I respectfully beg to differ. Hockey puts all the aerobic and anerobic stress australian football does on the body except at 5 - 30 miles an hour. In other words exponentially. Plus everyone carries a weapon and has two knives on the bottom of their feet. And they can cut. Here's Clint Malarchuck after he had his jugular vein cut in a "game"....

If you want view the video. Warning it is extremely graphic:

http://home.comcast.net/~kcifone/Hockey/Malarchuk-short.wmv

I heard about this experiment where they took a hockey player with no australian football experience and put him on a field. He held his own but was clearly out of his league. Then they took an Australian football player and put him on an ice rink....he couldn't stand up. Just kidding. Seriously, I have watched Australian football and was quite fascinated. Looks like a great sport. I wish we could watch it here in person. Looks like a great sport to have a beer with too. Does anyone know if any of the ESPNs carry it?

god I'm a bad speller today....
[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
March 13th, 2005 01:09 PM
LadyJane The Malarchuck incident was truly one of the most horrific in the history of sports. I was watching the game on our local cable station. We all thought we were witnessing death on the ice.

He is so LUCKY to be alive.

And check out Prince William...polo isn't the safest sport either.

OUCH!!!!!

LJ.
March 13th, 2005 01:44 PM
Taptrick
LadyJane: I love the look on the guy's face behind the fence. He seems to be thinking, ala Napolean Dynamite, "You idiot."

Looks like he was lucky too...could have been a serious neck injury. Was he OK?
March 13th, 2005 02:06 PM
LadyJane I'm sure we would have heard something if Wills was seriously injured.

LJ.
March 13th, 2005 04:47 PM
Starbuck Rooser!

you'd kill to have johann santana and brad radke, you know that! and we paid half the price you'd have to pay to get them!

twins will finally defrock the spankees in the playoffs this year!
March 14th, 2005 04:45 AM
corgi37 yeah, but ice hockey players are padded up to the hilt. The goalie looks like a "bait" guy for Police dog handlers. Only gay people need a weapon. Aussie rules players are weopons i n themselves

If you wanna see a crash, see the damage Tony Lockett did to Peter Caven about 1993. There should be some pics on the net. Man, its unreal! Funny enough though, the next year, Lockett quit my beloved Sainters and teamed up with Caven!

Our current full forward is Fraser Gehrig. 6ft 4, 112kilos, built like a brick shit-house. It's hilarious watching him play, because when he comes in to a pack, the pack just scatter! Our golden boy Nick Reiwoldt just jumps over the packs. Jumping on peoples shoulders is fun for him. Well paid fun, mind you.

Once a year Aussie Rules is played in the U.K. for an exhibition match. But, really, only expat Aussies go. They used to do the same in the U.S., but it cost too much to stage. We play a tri-series in Ireland, and that is always good for a bit of biffo. In fact, i think the Irish beat us this time around. Good luck to them too. Aussie Rules was partially based on some aspects of Gaelic football back in the 1850's.

I know Aussie Rules used to be shown on something like ESPN a while ago, but i think the governing body here (money hungry bunch of fucks) asked for too much money for the rights, and the U.S. broadcaster told them (rightly) to piss off.

Anyway, the pre-season night series is over, and the season starts next week. I cant frigging wait. We got a good chance this year to go all the way. MInd you, i have been saying that for nigh on 41 1/2 years.

P.S. Why is the U.S. baseball finals series called the World Series? I never saw Tonga, or Holland or Sudan get an invite!
March 14th, 2005 07:00 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
P.S. Why is the U.S. baseball finals series called the World Series? I never saw Tonga, or Holland or Sudan get an invite!

hint--check out the national origin of MLB players.....the Dutch may not be represented but Japan, Korea, all of the Caribean, and most of South America---even a token Ozzie or two (Spankee Graham LLoyd a few years back)

besides...the winner of MLB is clearly the World Champs when the best of the rest does not even measure up to an American Double-A team...hell, probably not even NCAA
March 14th, 2005 11:34 AM
littleredrooster
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
Rooser!

you'd kill to have johann santana and brad radke, you know that! and we paid half the price you'd have to pay to get them!

twins will finally defrock the spankees in the playoffs this year!

Have another glass of 'Kool-aid' !

That's not 'Spankees', it's 'Tankees' !!
March 14th, 2005 02:01 PM
glencar The Dish Network has pay-per-view aussie Rules Football for those who like to watch men in tight shorts running around with each other.
March 14th, 2005 03:08 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Hey Joey...been to any of those Omaha Royals games lately?

The College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha is a very entertaining sporting event. Check it out!
March 15th, 2005 04:01 PM
Starbuck i think american football has got to be the most physical sport there is. however, rugby is close.

look! it's last year's "joe theisman" impersonator of the year.

March 15th, 2005 04:03 PM
glencar That HAS got to hurt!
March 15th, 2005 04:12 PM
JumpingKentFlash I have fave teams for soccer in many countries.
Denmark: Brøndby IF.
England: Chelsea.
Germany: Schalke 04.
Italy: Inter Milan.
Argentina: Boca Juniors.
Scotland: Glasgow Rangers.
Spain: Real Madrid.
France: Paris St. Germain.
The Netherlands: Ajax Amsterdam.
Greece: Panathinaikos.
Turkey: Galatasaray.

Fave teams in:
American Football: Dallas Cowboys.
Basketball: L.A. Lakers.

I don't really follow sports anymore though. I watch a soccer game every once in a while. Also the Superbowl. But that's kindda it.......
March 15th, 2005 04:27 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
I have fave teams for soccer in many countries.

France: Paris St. Germain.

your first taste mistake since I know you my dear Kent!!
March 15th, 2005 04:45 PM
Gazza >Scotland: Glasgow Rangers.

speak for yourself, Ju. he's just gone up in my estimation

Kent - for a guy who doesnt watch much sport, you seem to have more clubs than Tiger Woods

[Edited by Gazza]
March 15th, 2005 05:28 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Scotland: Glasgow Rangers.

speak for yourself, Ju. he's just gone up in my estimation

Kent - for a guy who doesnt watch much sport, you seem to have more clubs than Tiger Woods

[Edited by Gazza]

Rangers got Prso, a fuc**ing good player! he was one of the hero fo the team of Monaco last year(finalist of the champions league)..I d always liked that kind of player...not like this asshole of Paolo Di Canio for instance...

and yes, Kent seems a real aficionado Gazza!

find your stadium for fun, you can also reach for places where our beloved Stones played on thier last tours: www.worldstadiums.com
March 15th, 2005 07:33 PM
Scot Rocks Oh dear, Glasgow Rangers...well Im sure you will see the light someday! :P

How are Montpellier doing this season Ju?

My teams in europe - doesnt mean Im fanatical just I like to see them win...

England - Probably favour Liverpool
France - not really got a preference, Lyon fans were cool though when I was there last season,
Germany - FC St Pauli, Borussia Dortmund
Italy - AC Milan,
Spain - Barcelona
Portugal - Sporting
The Netherlands - Ajax

March 15th, 2005 07:35 PM
Scot Rocks also Di Canio was a legend for a season here, however after his Facsist antics, he has gone down in everyones estimation here and will not be welcome back at Celtic Park amongst the fans.

March 15th, 2005 07:58 PM
JumpingKentFlash Yeah. I have tons of fave clubs. But that all ranges to back when I was playing soccer myself. I had a scarf from each of the clubs I like (No more though ). Anyhoo: If I'd have to pick maybe 3 all-time clubs it would be:
Brøndby I.F.
Chelsea.
Glasgow Rangers.
In no particular order.

Oh, and my top 10 list of all-time soccer players
(In no particular order):

Michael Laudrup. (Denmark)
Paul Gascoigne. (England....And no....Not because of Gazza )
Diego Maradona. (Argentina)
Marcel Desailly. (France)
Andreas Möller. (Germany)
Pele. (Brazil)
Ebbe Sand. (Denmark)
Kim Vilfort (Denmark)
Roberto Carlos.
And.......Uhmmmmmm.........Last pick.........*Thinking*............Maybe Colin Hendry. Yes. I'll take him.
March 15th, 2005 07:59 PM
JumpingKentFlash Aficionado??? Is that something you eat???
March 15th, 2005 08:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Paul Gascoigne. (England....And no....Not because of Gazza )

LOL.. I can assure you that my nickname has absolutely nothing to do with him. Terrific player, though!
March 15th, 2005 09:13 PM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL.. I can assure you that my nickname has absolutely nothing to do with him. Terrific player, though!

I always thought that your name was Gazza because you liked him. Well, shows what I know right?

On Gascoigne: Yes he's awesome. One of the best goals ever was made by him IMO. It's the one from Euro '96 where he lobbed the ball over a player's head and then hammered it in the net. Fuck that was good. Only time I ever soiled myself from watching a football game.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood