ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: McCartney now on Starbucks label (promise to sell new music from classic artists) Return to archive
21st March 2007 08:36 PM
Poison Dart It's going to be interesting to see how the new Starbuck's label pushes Macca's new music.

According to various reports McCartney was very unhappy the way Capital handled his last record "Chaos and Creation". McCartney felt the set was good enough for Capital to get behind.

The record sold a "decent" 533,000 copies in the US and over a million worldwide.

The interesting thing to me is Starbucks signed McCartney with the promise they will be able to get his new music out to the masses.

Starbucks thinks they have the formula to sell new music from classic artists.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off and how they intend to do it.

If they find the formula to sell new music from McCartney I would not be suprised to see the Stones end up there in the near future.

21st March 2007 08:45 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see how the new Starbuck's label pushes Macca's new music.

According to various reports McCartney was very unhappy the way Capital handled his last record "Chaos and Creation". McCartney felt the set was good enough for Capital to get behind.

The record sold a "decent" 533,000 copies in the US and over a million worldwide.

The interesting thing to me is Starbucks signed McCartney with the promise they will be able to get his new music out to the masses.

Starbucks thinks they have the formula to sell new music from classic artists.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off and how they intend to do it.

If they find the formula to sell new music from McCartney I would not be suprised to see the Stones end up there in the near future.

It's a good move for Macca. Starbucks has found a decent niche catering to baby boomers who don't otherwise shop for music. Those CD stalls are right in front of their faces as they order their decaf-soy-pumkin-spice-no-foam lattes, and they don't have to shag their asses to a music store to pick up the new Norah Jones. Starbucks also does a good job of peddling new artists like Madeleine Peyroux and K.T. Tunstall and makes the boomers feel "hip" and up-to-date.

These are exactly the kind of people who will buy new Paul McCartney releases -- and, let's be honest, new Stones, as well.

I'm just surprised, at this point, that other chains haven't franchised the idea of selling music to a pinpointed demographic. Hip-hop at Urban Outfitters, death-metal at wherever people buy Goth fashion... It's a good bet that, as digital sales keep ticking upward, this is the future of the bricks-and-mortar music market.
21st March 2007 08:54 PM
Poison Dart Prediciton:

If Macca sells a million copies in the US the Stones will be joining him shortly on the Starbucks label.

That's assuming there is enough of an upfront payment to them.
21st March 2007 09:11 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Prediciton:

If Macca sells a million copies in the US the Stones will be joining him shortly on the Starbucks label.

That's assuming there is enough of an upfront payment to them.

It would be far more interesting if the Stones did something radical and went semi-indie. Really, why do the Stones need a major label anymore? What did all that publicity in '05 buy them? (And let's not rehash the issue of whether Virgin botched the "Bigger Bang" campaign; there was a ton of media coverage of the album and tour announcement.)

They could theoretically release new material on their own imprint and use a major-label for distribution (hence the "semi-"). It worked for them in the pre-digital early-'70s. Why not today?

I'm not saying major labels are completely irrelevant; they clearly still have a near-monopoly on the ability to break an unknown band nationally. But the Stones, obviously, don't need that kind of leverage.

I'd be surprised, in fact, if Mick hasn't already thought along these lines.
22nd March 2007 12:37 AM
glencar I'm not a coffee drinker AT ALL but even I've wandered into Starbucks for a couple of CDs...
22nd March 2007 07:14 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm not a coffee drinker AT ALL but even I've wandered into Starbucks for a couple of CDs...

If you don't like coffee, wander someplace else for CDs. Starbucks charges too much!
22nd March 2007 08:45 AM
stonesfan70 That would be Hot Topic, and yes they do sell the kind of crappy music preferred by the people who buy their crappy clothes.

quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I'm just surprised, at this point, that other chains haven't franchised the idea of selling music to a pinpointed demographic... death-metal at wherever people buy Goth fashion...

22nd March 2007 11:05 AM
Saint Sway I was embarrassed last year to see ABB & Rarities stacked on the Starbucks shelf alongside elevator artists like Nat King Cole, Jewel, Natalie Merchant, Michael Bubble, Sting.. etc
22nd March 2007 01:03 PM
jb Stones have more or less been dropped by major label, but kept on in name only for prestige. They are non-sellers who drag the label down. An indie label or set up like Prince would be better and they would probably sell as many as ABB(514k US).
22nd March 2007 01:49 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm not a coffee drinker AT ALL but even I've wandered into Starbucks for a couple of CDs...

22nd March 2007 01:52 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I enjoy my Starbucks, but fuck them if they promote this ass-clown Macca. It was bad enough to see ABB and Rarities gather coffess grinds as they sat untouched on their racks...I'll slum it with the rest of the blue-collar slobs at Dunkin Doughnuts...
22nd March 2007 02:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:

I'll slum it with the rest of the blue-collar slobs at Dunkin Doughnuts...

Riiiiiiiiiiight.
23rd March 2007 11:16 AM
BILL PERKS I TRULY DESPISE HIS WIFE-SHE GIVES US BRITS A BAD NAME!
23rd March 2007 11:20 AM
glencar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

If you don't like coffee, wander someplace else for CDs. Starbucks charges too much!

Well, when they did that Stones Like This Music CD, only Starbucks had it that first month. Later on, other stores got it but I wanted it STAT. And I do enjoy tea every now & then. Plus most people I know are coffee types so there's no avoiding it.
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

It's a good time, for the great taste, of McDonalds.
glencar
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I TRULY DESPISE HIS WIFE-SHE GIVES US BRITS A BAD NAME!

She's on that dancing show. Claims Macca sent her flowers on opening night.
23rd March 2007 11:26 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
She's on that dancing show. Claims Macca sent her flowers on opening night.

I like her....she is attractive and will cost Macca millions,,
23rd March 2007 11:29 AM
glencar I like that she's going to cost Macca millions but women like her give all women a bad nmae. She's an obvious famewhore.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)