ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mick first TV appearance
Click here for some more and visit Dhalgren (aka, Catherine) new website
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Piano Return to archive
03-21-03 11:44 AM
Zeeta No question IMO guitar, piano is for Elton John!
Guitar is 100% ROCK N ROLL baby!
THANX!!
03-21-03 12:12 PM
Zeeta true but I find the piano an accompaniment to guitar. Maybe that's because I play guitar and I can relate to it easier. I just can't compare a filthy guitar sound in say CYHMK to piano, it just doesn't have the same significance to me! You are welcome to change my mind though, what is a good piano led song that I might appreciate?!
03-21-03 12:17 PM
Nasty Habits Three words:

JERRY LEE LEWIS

03-21-03 12:56 PM
Highwire Rob Warren Zevon
03-21-03 12:56 PM
Riffhard Mother Baby some could argue that rock and roll began with the man in your avatar. He never once tickled the ivories.

I find both instruments essential though.

Riffhard
03-21-03 01:00 PM
T&A Johnnie Johnson
03-21-03 01:21 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

No 2 words
Little Richard.

Technically, we might could knock that down to one word:

�ESQUERITA!
03-21-03 01:29 PM
Lazy Bones Keith Richards
03-21-03 01:30 PM
Nasty Habits You're on the big bad information super highway --

do a google!

Cut 'n' paste:

Esquerita

This ain't no Liberace shit!

03-21-03 01:44 PM
Nasty Habits Motherbaby, your logic is as always unassailable.

I'm still trying to figure out how Robert Johnson invented rock and roll when he didn't even invent the blues!

Little Richard is just as gay as Liberace if you wanna go down that road!

03-21-03 01:47 PM
Monkey Woman Guitar or piano? I'd say both! Didn't rock 'n' roll emerge from the piano riffs of Fats Domino (Blueberry Hill, The Fat Man...) and other 1940s and early 50s musicians? But when guys like Chuck Berry adapted those riffs to their favorite instrument, classic rock was born and guitar became the #1 icon of the #1 popular music current of the 20th Century...
03-21-03 01:48 PM
100 Years Ago alot of early rnr featured sax, i think along with piano and guitar, sax was a dominant instrument, in some cases more so (particularly when it came to solos) with 50's rock. sax is kinda the forgotten instrument in rock, thankfully we have Bobby Keys to remind us!
03-21-03 02:03 PM
Nasty Habits You're right -- that was Riffhard, and he was only speaking rhetorically -- my bad.
03-21-03 02:22 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

That's still 2 words!!!!!

How about........

One Word:

Schroeder!

That boy could pound some ivories on his li'l piano. Well it sure made Lucy swoon! Beethoven's his idol but that's got some Rock vibes... and Schroeder does play for Woodstock
03-21-03 02:38 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Pan was pretty cool too..only didn't he play a harmonica?

I thought he played the flute.

03-21-03 02:59 PM
Jaxx here's another 2 words--Jimi Hendrix

i'm an ivory tickler myself, but i have to say that guitar is dominant. while every rock and roll band has guitar players, not every rock and roll band has a keyboard player (tho IMO they should). it definately adds debth to the sound. however with an electric keyboard, you can be a one man band--its so versatile.
03-21-03 03:21 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Guitar or piano? I'd say both! Didn't rock 'n' roll emerge from the piano riffs of Fats Domino (Blueberry Hill, The Fat Man...) and other 1940s and early 50s musicians? But when guys like Chuck Berry adapted those riffs to their favorite instrument, classic rock was born and guitar became the #1 icon of the #1 popular music current of the 20th Century...

You bring up a really good point about New Orleans, Monkey Woman -- the rock and roll out of the Big Easy is extremely piano based -- Actually it was more Professor Longhair than it was Fats, who was more of a popularizer than an innovator. But yeah, Prof. Longhair, Fats, Smiley Lewis, Huey 'Piano' Smith -- all that crazy bedrock pounding piano rhythm is central to good rock music. Probably the main reasons piano has fallen from favor is a) a piano is in no way phallic, and b) it's hard to pack a piano into a guitar case and carry it to the next show . .
03-21-03 03:34 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
and please don't refuse keyboard with piano

i'm not and i don't. i'm just making a point that an electric keyboard can be so many things. the one i own now is only one octave short of being a piano and it can sound like any instrument i want.also, no definitive answers here, my friend. just opinions. i am entitled to one, arent i? IMO, RnR can be whatever the RnR artist wants it to be. i know in the past i have used lead guitar notes and rhythmn guitar chords when i couldn't find the RnR music i wanted written for the piano.i assume a guitar player can do the same thing with piano music.

[Edited by Jaxx]
03-21-03 03:58 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
its a lot easier to move a guitar than a piano.....ask Stu...god bless his back.

amen to that. and wish i could ask stu. then we wouldn't have to put up with chuckie
03-21-03 06:33 PM
throbby Mother Baby I've been meaning to tell you that your avatar rocks! I enjoy seeing it.

When I think of rock piano I think of Carol on Ya-Ya's. The Stones are supreme in the use of piano on their songs.
03-21-03 07:11 PM
doo doo doo Dude >>The Stones are supreme in the use of piano on their songs<<

Agreed Throbby, what would the Stones sound like without Stu and Nicky Hopkins adding their textures to songs like Let It Bleed and Sympathy.
03-21-03 08:55 PM
steel driving hammer 73% Guitar and 27% piano.

Cheers.
03-21-03 09:00 PM
Fiji Joe The only one I can think of that pulled it off on a piano was "The Killa", Jerry Lee Lewis...some good stuff
03-21-03 10:59 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
The only one I can think of that pulled it off on a piano was "The Killa", Jerry Lee Lewis...some good stuff

Hey you coconut bastard!

I think Stu played much better piano boogie than Jerry...

Let me know if you ever wanna exchange boots for coconuts btw.

Cheers.

PS.

Ever see the Seinfeld episode on (not the Bra but) "The Bro" aka "The Manzeer" ?
03-22-03 06:09 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Probably the main reasons piano has fallen from favor is a) a piano is in no way phallic, and b) it's hard to pack a piano into a guitar case and carry it to the next show.

Once again, you nailed it!!! Great post

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST