ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mick first TV appearance
Click here for some more and visit Dhalgren (aka, Catherine) new website
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Therapy for war Return to archive
03-20-03 12:10 PM
Doxa

I am so angry, so sad and so pissed because of this war that I need to get some shelter, to cool a little bit my
mixed emotions.

(Sorry, everybody, the following might boring and dull, but - y'know- it�s done for psychological reasons, for
personal therapy.)

I�m also quite a new in this board, so let�s say that this is also kind of "please let me introduce myself"-thing.

Few of my friends will hold a party for the Stones in next weekend and they asked anyone who�s invited to list ten
best Stones songs to collect a kind of Top Ten. Of course, it is really a difficult and idiotic job, but somehow,
hmm... also quite amusing.... and so I�m going to do it here, right here in public.

So here we go: TEN BEST SONGS OF THE ROLLING STONES

1. Midnight Rambler - Bruxelles 1973 Live

This is probably, no.. FOR SURE the best rock song and best performance EVER done by any group ever (and cut it to
the record). It is an ultimatum rock'n'roll performance; you can not play this kind of music better, there is no
way! In those strong 20 minutes there you have everything rock can be all about: blues, hard rock, punk... better
to say no more. (The original studio version could easily be in this list as well.)

2. Gimme Shelter - Let It Bleed 1969

The Intro, the sneaking, angry Keith Richards... It is a strange song, it is in its own class of style; where you
can find other song which resembles GM? It is so original, so powerful, and even TOO relevant TODAY; what a
wonderful arrangement - the original Let I Bleed-version can not be matched, though the Stones have some nice live
versions of it. It is always a thrill when play it. One of kind, a masterpiece.

3. Rocks Off - Exile 1972

It is the opening track of the mighty Exile, and I think it represents so clearly the whole atmosphere and attitude
of this great double album. The guitar riffing is so nasty, so keefy and the whole band plays with such an edge,
through the chaos, keep on rocking and hoping for the best.. Jagger�s vocal performance is still the crown of all
it; and the shouting and crying in the refrain - whoever there is in background vocals - is beyond the scale. My
God..

4. Winter - Goats Head Soap 1973

This has always been my favourite track in this album - I think it�s maybe the best vocal performance Jagger has
ever done for a studio track. And the wonderful correspondence between two Micks - so lyrical, so natural - it
almost makes you wonder that "who the hell is Keith Richards?". This little piece of art represents so nicely the
possibilities M. Taylor was able to contribute to the overall stones sound.

5. Waitin�on A Friend - Tattoo You 1981 & No Security Live 1998

Tattoo You was my first stones album, so it is a kind of dear to my heart. Because of this album - and the song
"Start Me Up" - I became a Stones fan back in 1981. There are many great songs in this album, but maybe the video
of the song make me pick WOF. I also like very much the No Security version, despite its "chuckness" - Jagger�s new
interpretation is awesome. This song always affects me emotionally.

6. Brown Sugar - Sticky Fingers 1971 + almost any version of this live

I bought Forty Licks and listened to it through and through many times, and finally decide that of the "warheroes"
(jesus, what a term thesedays), or like americans say "hot rocks", I will pick up just two for my list. Somehow BS
and Honky Tonk Women were qualified. About BS... the ultimate Keith Richards intro with his signature riffing, the
lazy, dirty, cocky tempo, the lyrics.. horny... this song makes you sweat.

7. Honky Tonk Women - single 1969

The cowbells, then.. THE CHARLIE WATTS, and the rest is history... other of my warheroes. Of any Stones songs this
one has the grooviest tempo (or was it Brown Sugar?).

8. Paint It Black - single 1966

This was a difficult one (once again). The idea was to find a song that represents the Brian Jones era with heavy
Brian touch in it. I took PIB because (a) there is not other rock song which is played by sitar and coloured with
oriental kind of touch and still sounds like an original rock song - PIB rocks; (b) I loved this track when I was a
small kid without knowing that it is the Stones; (c) Charlie Watts.

9. Stray Cat Blues - Beggars Banquet 1968

No Stones top ten without Beggars� song in it. This is just an outstanding performance, one the rawest the Stones
have ever done. The dirty Keith Richards guitar wall is just unbelievable - the Velvet Underground influence or
not. This piece of nastiness sounds like matured Little Boy Blue and the Blues Boys - having found their own
original r&b sound.

10. Miss You - the Long Version 1978

The Stones can make you dance - they knew how to do it already in 1963. It has been one of their secrets. This is a
great song - although it has been bored out in so many tours. The original looong studio version still sounds so
fresh; the guitar twins Keef & "young boy" Woody have found their mutual touch, Mick Jagger is in his artistic
peek, the jamming could stand forever.. The surprising hero of this song is Bill Wyman, and this surely is one of
his highlights as a Rolling Stone. It also be noted that this is also an open track of one of their best albums.

Hmm, where I put "Wild Horses" or "Jumpin�Jack Flash", or "Beast of Burden" or "Can�t You Hear Me Knocking" or
"Sympathy" or "Play With Fire" or...

... My list looks quite conservative, don�t you think?

Anyway, I feel much better now. Thank You.

Doxa
03-20-03 12:13 PM
marko I just listened Philly tower and Oakland-02 shows.good
therapy for me.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST