ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mick first TV appearance
Click here for some more and visit Dhalgren (aka, Catherine) new website
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels vs 40 Lix Tour Return to archive
03-20-03 11:21 AM
Saint Sway I recently got a copy of the Stones IMAX dvd of the Steel Wheels Tour and I'm having a hard time watching it. Its just too over the top. Almost like a broadway show.

I much prefer the current tour and its more stripped down feel. I feel like its more about the music now. And that the boys are relying more on rockin and less on theatrics. Whereas the Steel Wheels was so much about the gimmicks. The ludicrously large stage, the inflatables, Jaggers Cher-esque entrances during Paint It Black & Sympathy. The whole 2000 Lt Years bit. And worst of all Jagger battling the inflatable dogs. WTF was that? And Micks coats are absurd.

'89 was my 1st time seeing the Stones and I loved every minute of it. But now looking back its kinda tough to watch. It looks silly. I dont know if its because I'm more jaded now. Or just that the 40 Licks tour has been such a cool tour that everything else looks weak in comparison.

I lend a lot of my Stones vids out to friends and have converted many a fan in doing so, but I think I'm gonna keep the IMAX dvd to myself. Too much of it is just cheesing me out.
03-20-03 12:32 PM
sandrew There are some other folks on this board who are with me on this, but I think the Steel Wheels tour was a peak, musically, for the band. I don't think they've played better since.

Sure, the gimmickry was over the top -- there's no doubt about that. But the playing -- the playing's never been better, far as I'm concerned.

The sound of Charlie's drum kit alone on that tour still slays me. His snare drum has not had the same "pop" to it since then. And his left foot was doing things to the high-hat that made the swingin'-est sounds he's ever made. Listen to IORR from a show in Germany that was broadcast on the American Music Awards in 1990. Unbelievable.

They still had Wyman, too; a sorely missed ingredient these days. And Ronnie's playing was actually pretty solid. He most definitely has not played as well since '89-90. His leads still had some juice and sustain on 'em. They've never been fluid, but now he plays so clean, his lack of technique is even more apparent.

Don't get me wrong: I ain't complain'. I'm thrilled they're still at it and am loving the Licks tour.
03-20-03 09:40 PM
BILL PERKS THE GREAT THING ABOUT STEEL WHEELS WAS THE SHOWS WERE LONGER AND THE SETLISTS OUTSTANDING.THE CONTINENTAL DRIFT INTRO WAS AWESOME AND ALL 4 SHOWS I SAW WERE PERFECT(EXCEPT FOR THE POWER GOING OUT ON OPENING NIGHT).LICKS HAS BEEN GREAT BUT I'M JUST TIRED OF HEARING THE WARHORSES,CEPT JJF.
03-21-03 03:33 AM
dealer squealing The Steel Wheels tour was a landmark and they reached the top there, every tour since has a similar structure of songs and arrengements that were on the Steel Wheels tour. Ok it was theatrical but listen to boots from the tour, they were awsome there!
03-21-03 05:39 AM
fmk438j I think it is a very strange sounding tour.

Actually, I'll add to what I just posted and say that it does little for me, except Sympathy which is amazing. I probably haven't listened to the tour enough, but something just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe one day it will 'click' for me.

I know people think the 2000 light Years to Sympathy one-two punch is the stuff of dreams, but that gay shit between the two almost destroys any stoke I might have had. I'm sure seeing this live must have been mind blowing, but sitting in my painfull chair, it does nothing but irk me.

Maybe I better listen more.

[Edited by fmk438j]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST