ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why did Mick do his feminine take of in '69. Return to archive
14th March 2008 04:29 PM
guitarman53 I've seen "Gimme Shelter" so many times, I can't imagine how many times it was, but in "Satisfaction" during the guitar solo, Mick does his mincing & prancing with a long red scarp, & does something that a rock "n" Roller never did before, a complete freak out on a female role that was a take off on Bette Davis or a housewife that telling it like it is to everybody, it was so original, that everybody been copying it ever since.
14th March 2008 04:42 PM
pdog chicks have always dug guys that can be androgynous!
14th March 2008 04:44 PM
guitarman53
quote:
pdog wrote:
chicks have always dug guys that can be androgynous!

Your right on about that, it also led on to the 70's, with Glam Rock, David Bowie, Alice cooper, etc.
14th March 2008 05:47 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I've seen "Gimme Shelter" so many times, I can't imagine how many times it was, but in "Satisfaction" during the guitar solo, Mick does his mincing & prancing with a long red scarp, & does something that a rock "n" Roller never did before, a complete freak out on a female role that was a take off on Bette Davis or a housewife that telling it like it is to everybody, it was so original, that everybody been copying it ever since.

you shouldn't drink and post in the aftrernoon.

otherwise you'll get silly responses

everybody say ow
14th March 2008 06:02 PM
guitarman53
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

you shouldn't drink and post in the aftrernoon.

otherwise you'll get silly responses

everybody say ow

Maybe you're Right, but it still is the most different part of Rock "N' Roll I ever heard of, come on, when does a male act like a female! Mick has got to be the first in rock "n"roll, maybe Little Richard, but all he did was play a piano, it wasn't like Bette Davis!
14th March 2008 06:04 PM
Zack
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Maybe you're Right, but it still is the most different part of Rock "N' Roll I ever heard of, come on, when does a male act like a female! Mick has got to be the first in rock "n"roll, maybe Little Richard, but all he did was play a piano, it wasn't like Bette Davis!

Ray Davies camped it up way before Jagger. Bowie later made him look like the Marlboro Man. That's just two.
14th March 2008 08:20 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Zack wrote:

Ray Davies camped it up way before Jagger. Bowie later made him look like the Marlboro Man. That's just two.

Ah, C'mon, Mick was the first before Ray Davies, Davies did this in '71, I saw him at Massey hall for Christ Sakes!! he wasn't the first! I Know this for a fact!! & Bowie didn't happen in Canada or America till '72, so get your facts right!!! Mick was the first for wearing a little girl's dress at the Hyde Park Concert, so get your facts straight!!!
14th March 2008 08:25 PM
Fiji Joe Why?...Two words...Tina Turner...He morphed into her right about that time

14th March 2008 08:47 PM
guitarman53 In '69, the Alice Cooper Group, In Toronto, was playing at the Rock Pile, & they were a band that wasn't very popular, for one thing they were a drag Queen band, & they had this thing about loud noise & chicken feathers, & when the music got to be to much, they would break open pillows, & one guy would release open air to have these feathers to go on the audience, while the lead singer would smash mannequin's with a hammer & the audience wouldn't what to do with this reaction.
15th March 2008 12:14 AM
andrews27 When I read Ray Davies' autobiography, after chapters of self-pity I ran across a paragraph where Ray mentions sitting up all night in a hotel room, worrying about whether he's gay. I went, "Christ, does Mick Jagger mope around worrying about this stuff?" I didn't read much more.
[Edited by andrews27]
15th March 2008 01:43 AM
Zack
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
When I read Ray Davies' autobiography, after chapters of self-pity I ran across a paragraph where Ray mentions sitting up all night in a hotel room, worrying about whether he's gay. I went, "Christ, does Mick Jagger mope around worrying about this stuff?" I didn't read much more.
[Edited by andrews27]

X-Ray is one of the best rock and roll books ever written and the Kinks one of the greatest groups ever. I have read the book three times and don't recall anything of the sort. Give me a page number. Whatever, Davies thinks about life, something I can relate to. A lot more than Jagger, I suspect.

Guitarman, congratulations for being old, but the Kinks started in 1964, a few years before you saw them in '71 (though I am jealous of that). My facts are way straighter than yours I am fairly certain.
15th March 2008 06:26 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Zack wrote:

X-Ray is one of the best rock and roll books ever written and the Kinks one of the greatest groups ever. I have read the book three times and don't recall anything of the sort. Give me a page number. Whatever, Davies thinks about life, something I can relate to. A lot more than Jagger, I suspect.

Guitarman, congratulations for being old, but the Kinks started in 1964, a few years before you saw them in '71 (though I am jealous of that). My facts are way straighter than yours I am fairly certain.

I'm well aware of The Kinks in '64, but I never thought of Ray Davies as being a bisexual performer compared to what Jagger did in '69, for one thing, he didn't mince & prance across the stage wearing a long red scarf & do a freak out take of Bette Davis, I don't recall that, if he did, it would have been noticed.
15th March 2008 02:46 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
pdog wrote:
chicks have always dug guys that can be androgynous!

Tell me about it.

Jeesh.

Too Much!
15th March 2008 05:27 PM
andrews27
quote:
Zack wrote:

Ray has one of the best minds in pop/rock, when that's where he keeps it. I love Kinks albums and own many on vinyl, on the oldest versions of their A&M labels.

I guarantee that passage is in X-Ray, about 3/4 way through, in an up-all-night-alone-in-a-hotel scene that for me was typical of the mopey stuff I'd read all the way through. I got the book from a library and never bought it. It put me off VH-1 Storytellers, too - Shut up and sing, Ray!

His recent interviews on his gunshot have much the same passive-aggressive tone. Better to just play Great Lost Kinks Album and Kink Kronikles instead, so there's music behind it.

[Edited by andrews27]
15th March 2008 06:10 PM
MrPleasant Two words: Little Richard.
15th March 2008 07:50 PM
Lou The above two posts are of extremely high and accurate quality.

Except for the part about the Kinks being on A&M.

[Edited by Lou]
15th March 2008 07:55 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Two words: Little Richard.

you ended this stupid discussion brilliantly, RIGHT THERE Mr. Pleasant! Succinct, accurate, to the point, like a diamond bullet

OK now
17th March 2008 09:19 AM
andrews27
quote:
Lou wrote:
The above two posts are of extremely high and accurate quality.

Except for the part about the Kinks being on A&M.

[Edited by Lou]

Oops, sorry -- Reprise, the old Pink-Green-White label with the steamboat. In my mind I confused the later Reprise two-tone orange/sienna label with the sienna colored A&M label c. Tijuana Brass.

There's the old slander that the only reason the Kinks kept their Reprise contract after being blackballed from touring the US was because Sinatra looked at their band name on the label roster and decided it would sell to teenagers.
[Edited by andrews27]

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)