ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fool to Cry appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th March 2008 05:54 PM
Some Guy I honestly had never seen this video-

13th March 2008 06:17 PM
Zack Nice costumes. Song's crap.
13th March 2008 06:26 PM
fireontheplatter awesome tune. costumes suck.
13th March 2008 06:36 PM
GotToRollMe I like "Fool To Cry." I think it's one of the saving graces of "Black And Blue."
13th March 2008 06:41 PM
texile one of the best stones ballads ever...
beautiful piano (nicky or billy?)and great electric piano from jagger.
13th March 2008 06:54 PM
Soldatti
quote:
texile wrote:
one of the best stones ballads ever...
beautiful piano (nicky or billy?)

Nicky
13th March 2008 06:57 PM
Zack
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
awesome tune. costumes suck.

Platter, don't poke the bear. The song is a repetitive drag, about twice as long as it should be. Jagger's referencing his young daughter in a sleazy tale of adultery on her mother is in quite poor taste as well. Additionally, he repeats the word "fool" 22 times.

Jagger's haircut, however, plus the fact that he is obviously wired on blow in the video, as well as Keith pretending to sing backup and play guitar on a song he routinely fell asleep to in concert, are quite amusing.

[Edited by Zack]
13th March 2008 07:17 PM
texile
quote:
Zack wrote:

Jagger's referencing his young daughter in a sleazy tale of adultery on her mother is in quite poor taste as well.

[Edited by Zack]

don't be silly zack,
you sound like one of those pretentious rolling stone magazine music critics...
jagger was autobiographical, but rarely literal - which is always part of the fun of trying to figure out the song's references.
the 'woman' could have been a reference to the wife...and the daughter bit is nice and a departure.
i'll give you the one about the haircut, though and as for keith,
he routinely fell asleep, or nodded out, in the mid 70s and i doubt it was because of the music.
13th March 2008 07:33 PM
Zack
quote:
texile wrote:

zack, you sound like one of those pretentious rolling stone magazine music critics...

texile, how did you know my life's ambition?

I still say the song nearly dies about about 3:28, but inexplicably continues for more than two minutes without introducing anything new and repeating the chorus over and over. (Could it be because they had only eight usable songs for the album?)
13th March 2008 07:37 PM
texile
quote:
Zack wrote:

I still say the song nearly dies about about 3:28, but inexplicably continues for more than two minutes without introducing anything new and repeating the chorus over and over. (Could it be because they had only eight usable songs for the album?)

but it's got soul...
zack - sometimes you just have to stop thinking so much.
13th March 2008 07:44 PM
Zack
quote:
texile wrote:

but it's got soul...
zack - sometimes you just have to stop thinking so much.

What can I say? I'm a certified fool.
13th March 2008 08:00 PM
texile
quote:
Zack wrote:

What can I say? I'm a certified fool.

but can you sing in a falsetto?
13th March 2008 08:07 PM
Zack
quote:
texile wrote:

but can you sing in a falsetto?

Like a songbird! "Ooooh . . . . hoooo!"
13th March 2008 08:47 PM
stonedinaustralia love the wah wah guitar

Memory Motel is the better ballad for mine
13th March 2008 09:32 PM
Fiji Joe Is the audio of this version on any boots?...
13th March 2008 10:32 PM
andrews27
quote:
texile wrote:

don't be silly zack,
you sound like one of those pretentious rolling stone magazine music critics...
jagger was autobiographical, but rarely literal - which is always part of the fun of trying to figure out the song's references.
the 'woman' could have been a reference to the wife...and the daughter bit is nice and a departure.
i'll give you the one about the haircut, though and as for keith,
he routinely fell asleep, or nodded out, in the mid 70s and i doubt it was because of the music.

The woman across town, the little daughter, the certified fool - all classic Blues song tropes. Which little daughter was Mick consoled by in 1976? Karis Hunt? (Answer to Zack, actually, not Texile.)
[Edited by andrews27]
13th March 2008 10:49 PM
texile
quote:
Zack wrote:

Like a songbird! "Ooooh . . . . hoooo!"

impressive,
sing it a few times a capella -
it might just grow on you.....
13th March 2008 11:03 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
texile wrote:

impressive,
sing it a few times a capella -
it might just grow on you.....

Always loved the song, the album and 75' era. Does Ron have a roll of quarters in his pocket? I was not looking.

Great album! Better than emotional rescue.. Sorry, it had to be said.

Photobucket
13th March 2008 11:04 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Always loved the song, the album and 75' era. Does Ron have a roll of quarters in his pocket? I was not looking.

Photobucket

Would it be twisted if I put her in my siggy?
13th March 2008 11:20 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

13th March 2008 11:22 PM
Poplar
SG, as always - spot on.
great tune, on a great fucking album. start to finish.

13th March 2008 11:24 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Photobucket
14th March 2008 12:03 AM
andrews27 I just played Black and Blue because of this, and it's still a great record from intro to outro, Anybody who hates Melody is missing something...humor and taste?

I taught myself to do a passable falsetto by singing Fool to Cry and Worried About You in the shower in the 70s and 80s. It's just the normal registers that I sing badly in now.
14th March 2008 07:58 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Yes, Ron is going to the local laundromat after the song's over.

FTC i ok, but Memory Motel is it for me on B&B.
14th March 2008 08:02 AM
Some Guy
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society frowns upon this post.
14th March 2008 08:29 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Exactly!
Black Blue is good but IMHO don t have the "relax and fuck you" mood of ER.
Opinions, guys...you know about them...Some guy,Sway and I will defend ER 'till death

About Fool to Cry, the version from Stripped Companion is better imho, I love Keef's vocals and the fact that the horrible synthetyzer line of the original tune has disappeared!
And after the second chorus, Mr Watts delivers a great come back to the verse.Wow!
14th March 2008 10:41 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Zack wrote:

Nonsense. The song builds tension until that final "Makes me wonder why," and when the guitar solo finally comes in, Jagger's voice drops down to its lower register, and Charlie starts playing more, it's like the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. This is a completely glorious resolution without which the song would really be the boring MOR 70s ballad so many people have incorrectly accused it of being.

14th March 2008 11:08 AM
Zack
quote:
andrews27 wrote:

The woman across town, the little daughter, the certified fool - all classic Blues song tropes. Which little daughter was Mick consoled by in 1976? Karis Hunt? (Answer to Zack, actually, not Texile.)
[Edited by andrews27]

Nice word, trope. What was Karis consoling Mick about in 1976?
14th March 2008 11:09 AM
Zack
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Nonsense. The song builds tension until that final "Makes me wonder why," and when the guitar solo finally comes in, Jagger's voice drops down to its lower register, and Charlie starts playing more, it's like the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. This is a completely glorious resolution without which the song would really be the boring MOR 70s ballad so many people have incorrectly accused it of being.

OK fine. Still not my cuppa.
14th March 2008 11:09 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Gotta admit, as an album, Emotional Rescue has it all over Black And Blue. But "Fool To Cry" and "Memory Motel" are sublime.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)