ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Which was a bigger loss/blow to the Stones-Brian Jones or Mick Taylor Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th March 2008 11:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Neither.

If Brian hadn't of left, we wouldn't of had Exile and if Taylor hadn't of left, we wouldn't of had Ronnie.

History wouldn't have had it any other way. The Stones story is perfect as it is.

As others have stated however, Wyman is probably the greatest loss musicaly. Daryl isn't a Stone either.

Ian Stewart/Nicky Hopkins

15th March 2008 11:33 AM
fireontheplatter neither one of these guys departures had an impact on me. i was young when they left and i never took notice. i've pretty much always known the stones as the stones, if you know what i mean. if i had to chose which guitar player i liked better..i would say brian jones. he was the mac daddy who started it all.
i enjoy the stones lineup today. i have to say i was a bit like...who is that....when they added blondie to the stage.
15th March 2008 11:44 AM
chevysales
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones had already peaked when Taylor left, His departure and any creative decline werent as inextricably linked as many seem to claim IMHO.

The dynamic of the band is based on Mick & Keith's songwriting. If the quality of those songs are in decline, its not really THAT important which extra musicians are playing on them. They were effectively a one guitar band during the making of Beggars Banquet and for much of Let It Bleed and they were still able to create brilliant songs.

Creatively, I dont think they were ever consistently as strong after they left England in the early 70's and were less of a 'team'. Keith's long-term heroin addiction didnt help matters either.

great point about the songs... and more so about the heroin which many don't realize the toll it took on keith physically , mentally, and creatively contrary to what many may think. (or keith might try to show/hide - "it's forever baby").
16th March 2008 08:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Ian Stewart/Nicky Hopkins

Ian Stewart was their roadie and Nicky Hopkins was just a session musician who happened to strike up a close friendship with the band.

Undoubtedly, the Stones miss them on a personal level, but no way are they missed in any other way. They were both great for the Stones, but their time came and went.
17th March 2008 05:37 PM
texile
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Ian Stewart was their roadie and Nicky Hopkins was just a session musician who happened to strike up a close friendship with the band.

Undoubtedly, the Stones miss them on a personal level, but no way are they missed in any other way. They were both great for the Stones, but their time came and went.

true,
but i think they contributed more on a musical level than you give them credit for,
with stu, it may have been more of a personal contribution,
whereas, nicky's beautiful piano lines gave the stones music a graceful quality.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)